Contribute
Register

X299 Big Sur Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
That puts Apple 3 generations away from a replacement product, which obviously is not happening in 2022.
The Mac Pro with Apple Silicon is supposed to be released before the end of 2022 to meet their 2 year transition plan. I believe that Apple wants Pros to upgrade their 7,1 MP after they've owned it for 3-4 years to something that's going to be a lot more powerful and more power efficient. Individuals usually don't upgrade that fast but companies involved in video production often upgrade every three years anyway. Those are the large volume buyers that Apple is trying to appeal to. The Mac Pro is a niche, small volume product that won't make or break their balance sheet. They're not going to be able to keep every MP buyer happy and they are going to make decisions to kill products off for something newer and better. It's what Apple always does.

The last PPC (G5) was released in 2003. Snow Leopard dropped support in 2009.

The MP7,1 was released December 2019, so the same support window would be 2025. Equally importantly, the M2 obviously can't be used in a MacPro level machine, and if they stick to only +4 cores for M3 (so 16) or +50% (18 cores) even M3 is unlikely be used in a MacPro. That puts Apple 3 generations away from a replacement product, which obviously is not happening in 2022.

2006 the Intel Mac Pro was released
2007 Leopard was released and the last PowerPC was supported (Universal Binary with Rosetta)
By 2009 Snow Leopard was released and PowerPC code base was completely dropped.

Going by these metrics, like I said, macOS 13 (2022) will most likely not support Intel at all. You will only get .dot updates in macOS 12 (Whatever it will be called, maybe Monterey, we will find out next week).

By then we will have M2+ chips (there have been rumors of 64 core Mac Pros with ARM chips) and hopefully new Mac Pros that can compete with the overpriced 28 core Intels from 2019. I think Apple can compete with CPUs, but not GPUs, they can't match AMD/NVIDIA yet. So they either open up PCIe lanes in their ARM chips so AMD GPUs can be in addition to their iGPUs, or they just go all in on their SoC.

No one really knows, we waited 7 years for a Mac Pro 7,1, and we can wait another year to see what they are doing.

Anyway to me personally, I tried a M1 Mac Mini and for my workflow it's really useless. I need high thread counts with high performance cores, I don't need H264/H265 hardware encoders that are baked into the SoC.

Last edited:
Was the Fall of 2005 and they were discontinued in August 2006. Following is from Wikipedia.
  • 2003 June: Initial release at speeds of SP 1.6, SP 1.8, DP 2.0 GHz.
  • 2003 November: DP 1.8 replaces SP 1.8 GHz; price reduction on SP 1.6 GHz.
  • 2004 June: 90 nm DP 1.8, DP 2.0 and DP 2.5 GHz replace all previous models. The 2.5 GHz model is notable as the first major PC with liquid cooling included as stock.
  • 2004 October: A new SP 1.8 reintroduced, with a slower, 600 MHz FSB (front-side bus), PCI bus, based upon the iMac G5's architecture (U3lite and Shasta chips). Apple's official name for this machine is "Power Mac G5 (Late 2004)".
  • 2005 April: CPU speed increased: DP 2.5 GHz → DP 2.7 GHz (PCI-X, LC), DP 2.0 GHz → DP 2.3 GHz (PCI-X), DP 1.8 GHz → DP 2 GHz (PCI). Newly introduced features were the 16x dual-layer SuperDrives across the line and increased storage, up to 800 GB for the higher-end models. The 1.8 GHz SP was not modified.
  • 2005 June–July: The SP 1.8 model was discontinued in the United States and Europe.
  • 2005 October: Shift to dual-core processors: DP 2.0 GHz → DC 2.0 GHz, DP 2.3 GHz → DC 2.3 GHz, DP 2.7 GHz → DP DC 2.5 GHz (termed a Quad Power Mac G5, with four CPU execution cores and more reliable liquid cooling), all with DDR2 memory, and PCI Express expansion in place of PCI-X.[3][4][5] The older PCI-X, DP 2.7 GHz model remained available for a while, but the slower speed single-core models were discontinued immediately.
  • 2006 August: The Power Mac is replaced by its Intel successor, the Mac Pro.

Ah, yes. I should have said the first G5 not the last. Additionally, Apple is not going to be rolling out subsequent MacPro7,1's, other than a CPU refresh perhaps, so all we have is a first release there.

So 2003-2009 for support for G5 from Apple. If you bought the last G5 release, then 2005-2009.

Last edited:
The Mac Pro with Apple Silicon is supposed to be released before the end of 2022 to meet their 2 year transition plan. I believe that Apple wants Pros to upgrade their 7,1 MP after they've owned it for 3-4 years to something that's going to be a lot more powerful and more power efficient. Individuals usually don't upgrade that fast but companies involved in video production often upgrade every three years anyway. Those are the large volume buyers that Apple is trying to appeal to. The Mac Pro is a niche, small volume product that won't make or break their balance sheet. They're not going to be able to keep every MP buyer happy and they are going to make decisions to kill products off for something newer and better. It's what Apple always does.

I see that macworld interprets that as you do, that the MacPro will have Apple Silicon for June 2022. I guess nothing is stopping Apple from making a lower-performing MacPro. Macworld also indicates that Apple is currently designing two MacPro's right now--one with Intel and one with Apple Silicon. The Apple Silicon is perhaps an iMacPro replacement, which would make more sense.

Apple already faces numerous antitrust lawsuits in the US & EU and to release an expensive product that they then intentionally render obsolete just 2.5 years later would be more lawsuits.

I don't think 2022 will be the last OS with Intel support, but we shall see soon enough. It's certainly on its way.

I see that macworld interprets that as you do.
MacWorld is basing their prediction on Tim Cook saying a two year transition will happen. The first Apple Silicon Macs came out last November 2020. So by Nov. 2022 we can expect the Mac Pro to also have Apple Silicon. There is so much for Apple to cover at WWDC 2021 next week even a Mac Pro refresh announcement will not happen.

Back in 2006 Apple completed the transition to Intel across the whole line much faster than in two years. The last two Mac Pro refreshes came out in December 2013 and 2019. They might announce it in June 2022 then make it available for purchase in late November or December 2022.

I don't think 2022 will be the last OS with Intel support
I don't think it will either. There is a massive Intel Mac user base they want to keep. Not everyone can or will upgrade to the newer M series Macs by the end of 2022. Apple will likely still keep providing security updates to Intel Macs even after they can't upgrade to the latest macOS version. That may be later 2023 or even 2024.

Last edited:
anyone here bought RX 6000 card on "drop Thursday" on amd.com? was it hard?

There was a drop earlier today and it was already OOS in less than 2 mins :lol:. It still shows in stock but cart is broken

Last edited:
There was a drop earlier today and it was already OOS in less than 2 mins :lol:. It still shows in stock but cart is broken
Yeah, been checking the AMD site religiously and still no luck so far. I would have to literally have it on my browser and hit refresh constantly, basically doing nothing but that all day hoping to be fast enough. It's insane that it's June and we still have such a shortage situation. Meanwhile Amazon and NewEgg both have insane prices, and even then it's showing as sold out!

You can't buy them at all because scalpers are using bots and even if you add it to your cart it will be OOS while you check out lol

Best is to just pay the extra and get it from a scalper like I did. I hate supporting them but whatever.

me, personally
My next computer will be a Mac based Apple processor (m1x or m2)

I do not see a good future for Hackintosh and intel base mac's

Soon (even very close at wwdc 2021) apple will launched Mac's for professionals
Which I think will be very surprising in terms of capabilities and innovations

Right now my x299 is great
even if I upgrade a Graphic card to 6900 xt

As an Hackintosh in my opinion these are his last years

But the hardware can serve as a great server for years to come!
So I will not rush to sell my x299

I highly doubt Apple will have anything competitive enough to Intel/AMD in the ARM sector for at least another 2-3 years, laptops maybe, Pro market unlikely. Hackintosh scene is safe till at least 2025 and by then MacOS will be just another version of iOS fully locked and completely annoying. Who knows maybe Microsoft learned its lesson with Windows 11.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back