i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey All,

I just did a fresh install of Sonoma and noticed that when I'm playing World of Warcraft there is some constant stuttering. For instance, Every few seconds It'll just freeze for maybe one second. It might also be helpful to note that when the screen pauses the coil wine from the GPU stops as well. Also, if I have youtube open on another monitor playing a video then the pausing will ramp up to what feels like every other second. On my previous install of Ventura, this was not an issue so I'm assuming it has something to do with my EFI files, etc. but I'm not sure where to start.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    40.6 MB · Views: 21
Do you have both an Intel WiFi/BT card and a Broadcom WiFi/BT card installed in your system?

Have you disabled the IGPU in your Bios, as you aren't using an Empty/Headless framebuffer for your IGPU in your config.plist?

Do you have both an Intel WiFi/BT card and a Broadcom WiFi/BT card installed in your system?
I do, when I first built the system they said my mobo's built-in wifi(Intel) wouldn't work for whichever OS it was on back then and that I needed a wifi card.

Have you disabled the IGPU in your Bios, as you aren't using an Empty/Headless framebuffer for your IGPU in your config.plist?
I'll have to check on this!

Try this Revised EFI see if it helps.
  1. I have removed any unnecessary drivers, kexts and tools from the OC setup.
  2. Added the Empty Framebuffer for the UHD 630 IGPU.
  3. Cleaned up the config.plist by removing any unnecessary entries, so it is easier to read and navigate.
Testing/Booting:
If you want to try this revised EFI, simply add your Serial Number, MLB and ROM data to the revised config.plist. Don't make any other changes to the setup.
  • Enable your IGPU in the BIOS, but make sure you have the PCIE/PEGP/External GPU set as the primary graphics card.
  • You may need to boot in to the BIOS twice to check that the correct graphics settings are in place.
Copy the revised EFI folder to the EFI partition on a spare USB pen drive and boot from the pen drive to test the EFI.

Don't replace your current EFI until you are sure the revised EFI works and boots without any issues.

You will need to use the ResetNvramEntry.efi option before you boot macOS with this revised OC setup.
  • Simply boot from the USB pen drive, press the Spacebar when you arrive on the OC boot screen (GUI),
    • This will unhide the tools and drivers contained in your OC setup.
  • Select the ResetNvramEntry.efi and the system should automatically reboot.
  • Select your USB pen drive from the system Boot Menu again, and
    • This time boot in to macOS using the revised EFI.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    25.2 MB · Views: 15
Try this Revised EFI see if it helps.
  1. I have removed any unnecessary drivers, kexts and tools from the OC setup.
  2. Added the Empty Framebuffer for the UHD 630 IGPU.
  3. Cleaned up the config.plist by removing any unnecessary entries, so it is easier to read and navigate.
Testing/Booting:
If you want to try this revised EFI, simply add your Serial Number, MLB and ROM data to the revised config.plist. Don't make any other changes to the setup.
  • Enable your IGPU in the BIOS, but make sure you have the PCIE/PEGP/External GPU set as the primary graphics card.
  • You may need to boot in to the BIOS twice to check that the correct graphics settings are in place.
Copy the revised EFI folder to the EFI partition on a spare USB pen drive and boot from the pen drive to test the EFI.

Don't replace your current EFI until you are sure the revised EFI works and boots without any issues.

You will need to use the ResetNvramEntry.efi option before you boot macOS with this revised OC setup.
  • Simply boot from the USB pen drive, press the Spacebar when you arrive on the OC boot screen (GUI),
    • This will unhide the tools and drivers contained in your OC setup.
  • Select the ResetNvramEntry.efi and the system should automatically reboot.
  • Select your USB pen drive from the system Boot Menu again, and
    • This time boot in to macOS using the revised EFI.
I appreciate the work. Unfortunately, that didn't fix it. However, I a few times that I tried to play the game the last few days the stuttering was absent. It returned today though. So I'm not sure what could be causing it cause I can't think of anything that was different the past few days to make the game run smoother.

Update:

So I've been trying to troubleshoot this problem more and here's what I've noticed so far.
I have 2 monitors, my main is a 144hz 1440p ultrawide, and my second is a 60hz 4K TV. If I play the game on the 4K there is no stuttering, so it's only on the ultrawide. Also, if I turn on V sync on either monitor the stuttering effect gets x10 worse. I also noticed in the system preferences that the refresh rate was set to "variable (48-144 Hertz)". I thought maybe that had something to do with it and set it to only be 144hz and while that didn't fix the issue, it did improve the stuttering a bit. So my thoughts are that it's something to do with refresh rates or something along those lines.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for any and all assistance.

Back