Contribute
Register

What about AMD's R9 Series (280x, 290x) on our Hackintoshes?. Further explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What happens if you select PCI graphics only in the BIOS (no Internal GPU use at all).
Can you boot then? If so, performance?

Thanks!

I get the hieroglyphics that everyone is talking about,this can be fixed by moving the kexts to the EFI partition, I believe. I am more interested in knowing if FCPX does or does not use the card to render if you are using it to drive the displays. I read on other forums that in a dual card config it lets one card drive the displays and the other card run open CL computation. Does anybody here know if that is the case ?

hy i have expediently done something with my r9 290x and osx seems to detect the card as radeon 7600m with 4 display ports and says it has 3,5 gb vram on npci 0x3000
The gamestore for mac detects the card as radeon r9 200 series.
i can now use the card for movie rendering and use up to openGL 3.2 openGL 4 is not supported and won't load. also no QE/CI support but games are playable using openGL 3.2 and at 29 fps all the time same performance as Evga Geforce gtx 560 ti super clocked. i can select multiple resolutions but only 720p and 1080p and 1080i rotation goos black and hdmi audio doesn't work.
The things i know is that i added the line 0x67B01002 in the info.plist file of in de radeon 7000.kext and copied the files radeon 7000.kext and the radeon controller x4000.kext Amd support.kext and And frame buffer.kext to clover efi partition and in the kext folder. i then installed the patched kext files with kextwizzard and fix permissions and rebuild system cache. i hope to get more working on my mackintosh

Sorry I am not quite sure why it is working now but here is what I did.

1. EFI according to guide (GraphicsEnabler = No)
2. Disconnect Thunderbolt Display and change BIOS setting to Init Display First = IGFX and Internal Graphics = Disabled

Only the Asus display is now connected via miniDP to the 280x.

System Report says:
Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 7xxx
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 3072 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x6798
Revision ID: 0x0000

Since I want the exact same card as you have, or a 270x Hawk or 270x Toxic, whichever is best compatible, I wanted to ask you how your system is holding up? Is it still stable and could you maybe post in depth what you did to make it work? I guess you are using Chimera and not Clover. Any idea if the R9 2xx series will work with the Clover boot loader?

got a sapphire toxic R9 280x and needless to say this card simply smokes anything on the table. Power hungry, not so quiet, but the performance peaks like anything.

installed a fresh copy of mavericks, installed bootloader on EFI parition, plugged in the card, and everything worked right OOB.

sidenote: BIOS settings: Internal graphics = disabled, IGFX
used basic boot settings from multibeast.

Just dropped in to confirm that Sapphire Toxic edition of R9 280x works, but i am getting a luxmark score of 824, have no experience with this if its a good or bad score. Also HDMI audio wasnt working. Anyone with luck?

Hi redhatmac. How did you resolve the low score in Luxmark with your 280x Toxic? And how is the multi monitor support on this card? Thanks a bunch!

Can you have your R9 280x working OOB? what operating system are you using it on? Many people can't get it working...

I love my r9 280x graphics card however I have yet to figure out how to run 3 monitors in osx. It caps out at 2. Does anyone have any idea as to how to fix this?

Apple is adding AMD R9 290X ("Hawaii" chipset) support to OS X 10.10 Yosemite.

With some dev-id injections the R9 290 will also work - that's what I read at
http://netkas.org/?p=1331 anyway.

Very cool.
Got a SCREAMING deal on a Windforce 290x that arrives today (sub $300) so I'm hoping to test it out.
Apparently it will "partially work" in 10.9 - Will see.

Might be able to survive with it until Yosemite if it's passable and then get some money off the table from my $$$ nvidia in there now.

Edit: card was dead on arrival and went back. Guess I'll just wait in the sidelines of the 290x support situation for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back