Contribute
Register

What about AMD's R9 Series (280x, 290x) on our Hackintoshes?. Further explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
idk how but when i was messing around with a SSD at my laptop with windows 7 just installed from my default disk i made 2-3yrs ago while keeping my HDD safe, i plugged the SSD from lptp to my strong pc witch is half hackintosh/Windows XP SP4 Beta 3/Windows 8, i was messing around windows 7 n installed my graphics card in my windows 7, (before u say anything, I know about compatible issues from a default system from another pc with different hardware driver configurations.), my brother wanted iTunes, so, i turn off my pc with windows 7, unplugged w7 SSD and plugged my OSX SSD, but, i frgt to disconnect my graphics card.

Normally, within 30 seconds, the system itself will freeze itself, but get this, my system hasn't frozed up at all in the past 2 days now.

Its a bit sluggish when u drag safari but its not sluggish when dragging Finder.
its also a bit sluggish (mostly like a pop-up) using the Launched Pad, sluggish switching screen seeing apps.

but other than that, it works, haven't really much gamed at all since using osx, so I can't tell u what the diff with n w/o it. I didn't even install any drivers except for the latest installs (programs) I've did in the last 2 days.

Elgato Capture Card
Ustream Producer
VideoGlide Capture
VideoGlide Exporter
VideoGlide Toggle Audio
CamTwist

Unless those gave me some drivers of my card, honestly, I have no idea.

Just the other day, i tried installing this driver for R9 290 Graphic Cards, so i made a backup of my system, installed that driver, plugged in my card, n frozzed within 30secs, that driver screwed my hackintosh n so I restored it from my backup since somehow i couldn't remove the driver.

Apparently that driver went to another R9 290 graphics card than my Asus Radeon R9 290X OC.

Try this at your own will, won't be responsible if you didn't Time Machine before doing anything consider to make it work, like i said, it sluggish a bit n might get some very small light black bars on the left side of safari while in a txt field n some flashes like in notes.

my mac info about display says
spdisplays_display
1920x1080
Unknown 7 MB graphics

I'm considering getting an R9 280X, not sure which brand yet, but might go nVidia instead since on NewEgg I'm seeing a lot of users with problems with flashing in Windows, at the desktop & when playing videos but no problems in games.

Googlesearch "r9 flashing".

Have any users here experienced this?

Got it working with the Netkas package! :D. Sapphire R9-290x (Reference) in 10.9.3

hXoDN2W.png

ZOC9XSp.png

You using Clover?
How'd you get it to boot?

Thanks.

Using chameleon, but I had to move it to the EFI partition to get it to boot with the 290x. Otherwise I get a screen of random characters.

Using chameleon, but I had to move it to the EFI partition to get it to boot with the 290x. Otherwise I get a screen of random characters.

Gotcha.
I'm on Clover and never could get a Sapphire 290x Tri to boot...

..but at least this is looking like in a few months these will be natively supported cards which is awesome.

Hey Randall, Where did you get this Netkas package at? I am really not seeing it anywhere. I have a R9-290x reference card, and I like it, but I'm also running Windows 8.1 right now. I am so close to pulling the trigger to get the Titan Black, but Man.... I don't really want to do it.

Any information would be awesome.

Thanks,

Got it working with the Netkas package! :D. Sapphire R9-290x (Reference) in 10.9.3

hXoDN2W.png

ZOC9XSp.png

Hey Randall, Where did you get this Netkas package at? I am really not seeing it anywhere. I have a R9-290x reference card, and I like it, but I'm also running Windows 8.1 right now. I am so close to pulling the trigger to get the Titan Black, but Man.... I don't really want to do it.

Any information would be awesome.

Thanks,

I downloaded it from his forum, http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,8489.0.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back