Contribute
Register

Using an iMac as a monitor, will internal hardware be accessible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS P8Z68-V LX
CPU
Intel i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz
Graphics
EVGA 750 Ti
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey Tonymacx86 fellas

I recently built my hackintosh using a new Intel i5-6600K paired with an ASUS Z170-Premium board.

Most things work fine, with the exception of a couple glitches in NVMe storage.

I'm currently using an Apple Cinema Display 24". I have the option to upgrade my 24" ACD to a 27" iMac. Now, I've heard it's easy to use an iMac as a monitor. That part shouldn't be an issue.

I'm curious as to if I'll have access to any of the internal hardware from the iMac after installing.

Google does not shed much light on this, so I figured I'd take to the forums. Thanks guys!

Yes, the iMac has to be running for the Target Display Mode to work.....you'll have full access and you can switch back and forth between the iMac and the Target Display Mode by pressing Command-F2. You can also control the iMac from your other computer using Mac Screen Sharing if you like.

It is easy to use an older iMac with a displayport input as a monitor in the target display mode. A newer iMac with a Thunderbolt input will only work with another Mac. A 5K iMac or a late 2014 or newer iMac cannot be used at all (no target display mode).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back