Graphics
GeForce GT 740
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I have a custom mac, went straight down the buyer's guide for recommended hardware. First hackintosh obviously. I first installed Antergos to try it out and everything went relatively smoothly and i had it running. Went down the installation guide and started the computer from scratch to boot El Capitan.

Everything went great until I got to booting the system drive where it loaded the apple logo, went to a grey screen with progress bar, and then immediately rebooted. This is when I searched for a solution and apparently got myself into trouble. I initially used optimized defaults but have since edited some of the few settings I found to no avail.

This is where i did something and cant fix it. I kept seeing post after post about people saying to type something into terminal or edit this kext in finder or something and was baffled as to how people are looking at a file system. I'm guessing every fix is done from the idea that you have a computer to boot up and edit the HDD with, which I dont. So i booted from USB (selecting UEFI USB from boot screen) and opened terminal from installer utilities. Then i found through a search what I thought was a way to attempt to copy the EFI from the USB to the system EFI using the terminal. It was late and I cant remember exactly what I was trying but I typed into terminal something very similar to:

mkdir /Volumes/EFI mount_msdos /Volumes/USBEFI

That's not exact but I do remember the original "sudo mount_...) came back with invalid command so I removed "sudo" to see if it would accept it. Turns out it did do something for a few seconds. Suddenly every time I reboot the computer my EFI drive is gone (which I need to boot the installer). So I started over again and remade the USB. Same thing. I've now done this 4 times and renamed the USB drive hoping the different name would make whatever conflict irrelevant. Nothing.

I originally saw a bootable USB FlashMAPwhatever(gave unbootable message) and a UEFI USB FlashMAPwhatever (this is what I used to boot), then it was only the USB (after I tried the terminal command) and now it only has the system drive listed. I cant boot into anything at all and nothing from USB shows up in the list.

Please help me out here. No matter what I do the UEFI bootable USB drive doesn't even show up in BIOS. I keep seeing people talking about editing .kext files and swapping out information on drives and I'm sitting here with an expensive brick and an ipad wondering how the hell anyone is able to click on files or do anything at all when nothing boots.

I've been working on this since last weekend and everyday after work. I'm starting to get exhausted and the situation slowly is getting worse. Where should I even start here?

Update: After I made the post I had an idea. I remembered that i used the terminal (disk util) to find the disk number and I had used:

mount_msdos disk1s1 (whatever corresponded to my USB drive) and then /Volumes/USBEFI

So i had an idea of getting my USB into a different "disk_s_" slot by plugging my Antergos USB in as well and it worked! I cant see my Antergos drive but I do see my custom named USB EFI.

Anyone know how I can get disk1s1 back (pretty sure this was what it listed as) and visible with bootable UEFI partition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back