Contribute
Register

The New Beginner's Guide to USB Port Configuration

Will there come a time in the near future that port mapping will no longer be required?
It is easy to predict the future. Anyone can do it. What's difficult is to make accurate predictions. In spite of all that, I'd say that there is probably a 90% chance that USB mapping will be required until support for Intel Macs is dropped. When that will be I can't say for sure. Maybe in 2 years, give or take a year.

Last edited:
Will there come a time in the near future that port mapping will no longer be required? It's literally the main thing preventing me from updating to OC from Clover and getting past Catalina.
easy enough to do now that opencore 0.9.3 has fixed XhciPortLimit for later versions of macOS

Will there come a time in the near future that port mapping will no longer be required? It's literally the main thing preventing me from updating to OC from Clover and getting past Catalina.
USB mapping should be the same for Clover or OpenCore.
If you're familiar with Clover itself (not the *Beast tools), there's no need to switch to OpenCore: You can update Clover to the latest version and run any version of macOS you want. This only requires minimal knowledge of the OpenCore quirks which have been incorporated into Clover

I've stuck during bootable USB installation for mac OS Ventura using Opencore Ver. 0.9.3 until I found this thread, the main culprit is the USB port mapping kext. once UTBMap.kext had been removed from the opencore folder, it boot directly to the installation pages.

I'm trying to register an internal port for Bluetooth, which hangs on USB 2.0.
The difficulty is that the hub comes first, then the controller, then the hub again and it has six USB 2.0 ports (with Bluetooth, a Cardreader, and two regular USB outputs).
The settings are applied to the controller on the first hub, and the child ones are ignored.
What can you try to do?

Attachments

• IOReg.png
    IOReg.png
    271.2 KB · Views: 20
  • USB-mapping.png
    USB-mapping.png
    190.2 KB · Views: 17
  • DSDT.png
    DSDT.png
    194.3 KB · Views: 19
  • USBMap.kext.zip
    1.7 KB · Views: 19
  • DSDT.aml.zip
    13.6 KB · Views: 18
The difficulty is that the hub comes first, then the controller, then the hub again and it has six USB 2.0 ports (with Bluetooth, a Cardreader, and two regular USB outputs).
The settings are applied to the controller on the first hub, and the child ones are ignored.
What can you try to do?
the guide does not use that software

update your hardware profile as per rules

What can you try to do?

Hi there.

This guide is not for USBMap. That is a different method for configuring USB ports by a different website.

You do not tell us which bootloader you are using. I assume Clover?

You are configuring EHCI USB ports but looking in the wrong place with IORegistryExplorer.

Rather than rewrite the dsdt.aml, just load Hackintool app and look at the USB tab. Upload a screengrab.

If you follow our guide, I will try to help.

Hi there.

This guide is not for USBMap. That is a different method for configuring USB ports by a different website.

You do not tell us which bootloader you are using. I assume Clover?

You are configuring EHCI USB ports but looking in the wrong place with IORegistryExplorer.

Rather than rewrite the dsdt.aml, just load Hackintool app and look at the USB tab. Upload a screengrab.

If you follow our guide, I will try to help.
Hello, thanks!
I'm using OpenCore 0.9.4 bootloader.
Made a kext according to the instructions. One full (USBPorts-FULL.kext), the other after checking the ports with a USB flash drive. In the Hackintool screenshot, empty ports have been removed (USBPorts-Works.kext). I signed Bluetooth and Card Reader, which I want to "plant" on internal ports (USBPorts-Internal.kext).
If you use the made USBPorts-Internal.kext with internal ports for Bluetooth and a card reader in "Macmini6,1-EH02-internal-hub", then they "fall off".

Attachments

• Снимок экрана 2023-07-20 в 22.23.57.png
    Снимок экрана 2023-07-20 в 22.23.57.png
    158.5 KB · Views: 25
  • USBPorts-FULL.kext.zip
    2.1 KB · Views: 23
  • USBPorts-Internal.kext.zip
    2.2 KB · Views: 19
  • USBPorts-Works.kext.zip
    1.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Check this image.

Снимок экрана 2023-07-20 в 22.23.57.png 2 x ports set incorrectly.

Back