Contribute
Register

The New Beginner's Guide to USB Port Configuration

Hey guys,

My USB setup used to work perfectly. I created the SSDT as per Rehabman's guide, and used only that, with no other patches for probably a year if not more. But recently I've started noticing more and more of my ports not working. And all of them are USB3 ports. Should I add a kext, redo the SSDT?

Problem Reporting files included.

Thanks!

Attachments

• debug_16601.zip
    4 MB · Views: 67
Hey guys,

My USB setup used to work perfectly. I created the SSDT as per Rehabman's guide, and used only that, with no other patches for probably a year if not more. But recently I've started noticing more and more of my ports not working. And all of them are USB3 ports. Should I add a kext, redo the SSDT?

Problem Reporting files included.

Thanks!
missing USBInjectAll.kext in clover/kexts/other

@UtterDisbelief :

If your problem is USB-related then an attached device is the culprit. It looks as though you do not have a bluetooth mouse. Is it wired or wireless? Device ID is Primax Electronics.

I have a BT Apple Trackpad, an Optical USB mouse, and an Apple keyboard.

Here is the output of the syslog grep.

There are only 2 reasons: The second line, XDCI CNVW repeats a million times, first line occurs 100 times.

localhost powerd[111]: [powerd:sleepWake] Wake reason: "<private>" identity: "<private>"
localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: XDCI CNVW

-> Aside, how does OS X clean up it's logs? Do they rotate? Or do we have to manually clean them up?

@UtterDisbelief :

I have a BT Apple Trackpad, an Optical USB mouse, and an Apple keyboard.

Here is the output of the syslog grep.

There are only 2 reasons: The second line, XDCI CNVW repeats a million times, first line occurs 100 times.

localhost powerd[111]: [powerd:sleepWake] Wake reason: "<private>" identity: "<private>"
localhost kernel[0]: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: XDCI CNVW

-> Aside, how does OS X clean up it's logs? Do they rotate? Or do we have to manually clean them up?

@UtterDisbelief

Yes saw that.

So I unplugged everything except the, optical mouse, keyboard, BT controller (M.2 card), and the Aura MB USB - (don't have a clue that that is ) and the USB switch talking to the CPU cooler and the internal LED controller, which since I came up from a cold boot, was not firmware loaded, and I had no rainbow of colored LEDs in the Chassis.

I turned off BT. Went to sleep, woke up again in 2 seconds.

I turned on all port Injection : i.e. enabled USBInjectAll.kext 0.7.1 and turned off USBPorts.kext in OC config.plist. Rebooted. All USB ports injected. Minumum number of mouse and keyboard connected. No BT -disabled.

Went to sleep, woke up after 2 seconds.

I can't get to a state where it stays asleep under any state. If I could get there then I could work my way forward (or backwards) to identifying which USB port is the issue.

Any suggestions how to track this down?

Thanks for all the help as usual.

@UtterDisbelief

Found it and fixed it :headbang:

Sleep is now working beautifully.

It was the USB connection to the CPU cooler. If I unplug this, wake / sleep works beautifully. Cooler is a EVGA CPU Closed Loop Water Cooler. 400-HY-CL12-V1.

I googled sleep problems with the cooler, and found nothing.

Thanks for all the help in getting this to work. There is two suggestions that I have for your instructions in post #1.

1. In Step 2 clarify that the User's goal is to see an enumerated list of all the ports, without duplicates, and without gaps. And if there are gaps or duplicates examine the ACPI folder contents, and the L/E kexts for existing conflicts.
  2. Break out the sequence, yes I know it's a pain, into steps for Clover and steps for OC, don't try intermix them. The port patching of Clover tripped up my initial experiments until you pointed out that they should be removed.
Brilliant job. Thanks for all the help!

Somewhat strangely, my 8 USB 3.0 ports are showing up and working fine (6 in the back, 2 on front of the case), but my 4 USB 2.0 ports are not working at all, even after implementing USBInjectAll.kext and the port-limit removal patch. I did the mapping and generated my USBPorts.ktext and everything seems fine except the 2.0 ports are dormant. If there's a quick and easy solution I'd be interested to hear anyone's thoughts, otherwise I might just forget about this issue and move on.

Somewhat strangely, my 8 USB 3.0 ports are showing up and working fine (6 in the back, 2 on front of the case), but my 4 USB 2.0 ports are not working at all, even after implementing USBInjectAll.kext and the port-limit removal patch. I did the mapping and generated my USBPorts.ktext and everything seems fine except the 2.0 ports are dormant. If there's a quick and easy solution I'd be interested to hear anyone's thoughts, otherwise I might just forget about this issue and move on.
Did you rename the USB 2.0 controllers? You may want to try again from step 1 and remove the USBPorts kext.

Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 8.30.04 PM.png

Did you rename the USB 2.0 controllers? You may want to try again from step 1 and remove the USBPorts kext.

View attachment 480428

Hi @Gigamaxx and thanks for replying.

I have XHC on my board. I just tried the XHC1 to XHC_ fix described here. Still can't see any USB 2.0 ports. Just for giggled, I also tried the EHC patches shown in the screenshot - both on their on and with the XHC fix, no change, still no dice on the USB 2 ports. FWIW, my Ktexts are: Apple ALC, IntelMausi, Lilu, WhateverGreen, VirtualSMC and USBInjectAll.

Hi @Gigamaxx and thanks for replying.

I have XHC on my board. I just tried the XHC1 to XHC_ fix described here. Still can't see any USB 2.0 ports. Just for giggled, I also tried the EHC patches shown in the screenshot - both on their on and with the XHC fix, no change, still no dice on the USB 2 ports. FWIW, my Ktexts are: Apple ALC, IntelMausi, Lilu, WhateverGreen, VirtualSMC and USBInjectAll.

In your original post you mentioned USBPorts.kext. In the second you mention USBInjectAll.kext. One method or the other.

Please upload your USBPorts.kext or SSDT-UIAC.aml for checking.

Back