Contribute
Register

The New Beginner's Guide to USB Port Configuration

@UtterDisbelief - Thanks very much. FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext and GenericUSBXHCI.kext are not installed (see kextstat output). Also find attached the sections of the IOReg that you requested. Much appreciated!

Hi there.

Okay, great :thumbup:

I confess a couple of things here have confused me...

You've got 18-ports so that implies you have a port-limit removal patch in place but Kextstat does not show USBInjectAll.kext is loaded ... I think I need to know how that happened. Without the kext that looks like an ACPI patch.

Also for a Z97 chipset, to see a 'rogue' port like "HSG4@14300000" seems 'unusual'. I'd need to know where that came from. With what I can see so far I don't know the answer to that. And that upsets my equilibrium :crazy:

Otherwise I think the EHCI controller pair looks reasonable. But I guess there are some RP ports attached to them for the 3rd party chipset.

:)

Per instructions, USBInjectAll.kext is in /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other; yes, I still have the recommended port limit patches in place - haven't saved anything yet (waiting to figure out what's safe to delete).

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 22.15.11.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 22.15.11.png
    111.3 KB · Views: 85
  • Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 22.12.07.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 22.12.07.png
    66 KB · Views: 94
Per instructions, USBInjectAll.kext is in /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other; yes, I still have the recommended port limit patches in place - haven't saved anything yet (waiting to figure out what's safe to delete).

Thanks!

Well reading back over the problem, back in post #412 you say 4x USB3 ports on the back panel do not work. Perhaps they are the Renesas enhanced ports. Normally we might say try GenericUSBXHCI.kext as it was designed for this chipset, however it hasn't been updated in 5-years and won't work under Catalina. So no dice.

Yes, the two front-panel ports may be showing under a 'hub' but you will need to explore IORegistryExplorer to find them. And of course they should show when a device is inserted, but we discovered a 'bug' in Hackintool recently which the dev has spent time resolving :thumbup:

I've still not come across a rogue port like HSG under a Z97 system. It must be caused by something but I can't see what at this point.

Looking at your Hackintool screen grab, I suspect the Location IDs of ports SSP4, SSP5 and SSP6 are incorrect as they are root-hub and duplicates respectively. This is becoming a known problem and it shows in IORegistryExplorer too. We began by suspecting this was how ASUS were configuring things, but yours is a Gigabyte board. So I am thinking it is some configuration aspect we haven't drilled deep enough into yet, despite trying.

Happy to help in any way, but try to isolate a 'problem' so we can solve it :thumbup:

I can actually live with it as-is. So, should I just go ahead and export this configuration as-is (-> USBPorts.kext) or would it make any sense to delete all of the "unknown" ports first? Thanks very much for your help, much appreciated!

I can actually live with it as-is. So, should I just go ahead and export this configuration as-is (-> USBPorts.kext) or would it make any sense to delete all of the "unknown" ports first? Thanks very much for your help, much appreciated!

Either way would be okay. There's no reason not to try different USBPorts.kexts, just remember to Clear the previous configuration and Rebuild in Hackintool or it might just repeat itself :thumbup:

If the worst happened - I'm pretty sure it wouldn't - a lock-up, dead keyboard etc., just use the Clover Options menu to disable the kext during boot. I think using the XHC controller in preference is better these days.

:)

Sorry I simply can't read through 42 pages of posts to see if this has already been asked and answered, but I suspect it might be a common question, at least in future, and might even be addressed in the OP:
How does the fact that the new Mac Pro has multiple PCIe card slots all of which could theoretically be used for USB 3.0 or 3.1 or Gen 2 or Type C ports, affect the way MacOS handles port number limits? I wonder if this is handled any differently if the SMBIOS is using a new Mac Pro ID for example?
This is just a theoretical question as most of my family hackintoshes are still on 10.13.6 and Mac Pro SMBIOS really only begins to make sense for Catalina, but I'd appreciate this being clarified as I'm maintaining five hackintoshes and stability is far more important than new-fangled features in the OS - unless of course it might simplify things at the same time.
Again my apologies if this has already been discussed. Huge thanks to headkaze for the amazing Hackintool!

PS well worth reading back a couple of pages re the facility to rename ports! Amazing!

Last edited:
The limits are per controller, so every slot you plug a controller into would give you 15 more ports...

In theory :cool:

The limits are per controller, so every slot you plug a controller into would give you 15 more ports...

In theory :cool:
So to clarify (in theory) if you have EH01 and EHO2 controllers you could have 15 ports for each giving a total of 30?

So to clarify (in theory) if you have EH01 and EHO2 controllers you could have 15 ports for each giving a total of 30?
That's correct in theory but may not work in reality. As for my H97 chip, I have XHC, EH01 and EH02, I couldn't use my SS ports in USB3.0 speed without making port config. Tip for this chip, leave hubs from EH01 and EH02 (PR01 and PR11 only. PR21 shown as hub too but it's not, you can delete it) delete all other PR ports.

Back