Contribute
Register

The New Beginner's Guide to USB Port Configuration

@Superbogey you only need SSDT-EC.aml. When you have the USB power defined in the USBPorts.kext.

The Dortania guide assumes you are starting from zero, that you don’t have the USB power options in a USBPorts.kext. So it recommends the combo SSDT.
Thanks for the heads-up on that, @Edhawk . Maybe I can suggest a small addendum about USB ssdt's needing to only be temporary for initial OpenCore setup to that section at the start of Dortania's guide.

You don’t need XHCI-Unsupported.kext with you Haswell system. The USB Controller is already defined in your system. But you can add it to see if it makes any difference without to much risk.

Well I gave it a go, same result. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has an idea.

You don’t need XHCI-Unsupported.kext with you Haswell system. The USB Controller is already defined in your system. But you can add it to see if it makes any difference without to much risk.

So I removed XHCI-Unsupported.kext and tried a different USB port. I remembered the port I chose originally was operated by the Renesas uPD720210 USB 3.0 Hub controller. On a different port, driven by the chipset, I got this:

Screenshot 2023-02-18 at 12.11.37 PM.png

Last edited:
@Superbogey you only need SSDT-EC.aml. When you have the USB power defined in the USBPorts.kext.

The Dortania guide assumes you are starting from zero, that you don’t have the USB power options in a USBPorts.kext. So it recommends the combo SSDT.
Now I'm confused. I looked through the OpenCore guide and came across this. Should I edit out the USB section of the SSDT or just leave it as is?
Screenshot 2023-02-18 at 2.09.20 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-02-18 at 2.16.41 PM.png

Now I'm confused. I looked through the OpenCore guide and came across this. Should I edit out the USB section of the SSDT or just leave it as is?
View attachment 563614
View attachment 563615

There's an interesting function of Hackintool (I know I keep banging on about how I use the app over a lot of others in this guide...) BUT when you export your USB configuration, it will include an SSDT-EC/USBX file as/if needed. Use that. It's clever enough to know if you need that fake Embedded controller or not.

Also, as @Edhawk has said, the necessary power adjustments are included in the USBPorts.kext code if you decide to use that instead of the USB SSDT.

I would add though, that if you are already booting with any of these SSDTs then they are already correcting the problem and Hackintool probably won't see it as necessary ...

:)

Best thing you can do is generate an SSDT-EC.aml using Corpnewt's SSDTTime, so you are using one custom set for your system. All you need is a copy of the system DSDT.aml and Corpnewt's script to generate the SSDT-EC.aml.

Have a read of this guide.

Thanks, @UtterDisbelief. I was using the pre-built SSDT that I listed from Dortania's links in the OC guide. I don't remember getting a separate SSDT when I used Hackintool to generate my USBPorts.kext, though. I might go with @Edhawk 's suggestion to generate one from Corpnewt's script.

Thanks, @UtterDisbelief. I was using the pre-built SSDT that I listed from Dortania's links in the OC guide. I don't remember getting a separate SSDT when I used Hackintool to generate my USBPorts.kext, though. I might go with @Edhawk 's suggestion to generate one from Corpnewt's script.

Okay, a difference of opinion between me and @Edhawk .

Go with whatever you are happiest with. Nothing is mandatory in the Hackintosh world ... well except FakeSMC/VirtualSMC ! :D

Last edited:
Okay, a difference of opinion between me and @Edhawk .

Go with whatever you are happiest with. Nothing is mandatory in the Hackintosh world ... well except FakeSMC/VirtualSMC ! :D
Oh yeah??! Well, my VirtualSMC can take down your Fake one any day of the week, bub! Oops, sorry about that. Had a brief flashback to my rough and tumble youth on the mean streets of suburban Silicon Valley. :lol: ;) I went through @Edhawk's guide last night using Hackintool to generate all the ACPI tables and then ran the DSDT file through Corpnewt's script to get me my new SSDT-HPET, SSDT-PLUG, and SSDT-EC.aml files to replace the starter files I had from Dortania's guide. After a couple of reboots to reset NVRAM, everything seems to be running fine. Thanks again to both of you for your help.

Hi, a quick question... is the Renesas upd720210 USB 3.0 hub chip (this is not a host controller) compatible with 10.14+ (Mojave and up)? I have a Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H that it has 4 ports connected through this Renesas USB 3.0 hub from the Intel Z97 chipset's USB 3.0 controller, but I can't make them work. Thanks!

Back