Contribute
Register

The Dell OptiMac Big Sur/OpenCore Thread - For 7020/9020 Optiplex Desktops

Thank you @trs96 @mgrimace and everyone involved with making this thread. I just finished everything, and it was smooth and easy. Once I got a stable install of Big Sur using the iMac17,1 build I was able to use System Update to directly update to Monterey. Amazing work! Thanks again :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 1.33.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 1.33.46 PM.png
    79.2 KB · Views: 52
I have a Dell Optiplex 9020 USFF with a i5-4590S CPU and Intel HD 4600 graphics. Two Display Ports and a VGA port. Using iMac15,1. I have Big Sur 11.6.1 installed and booting. If I disconnect the monitor after booting and reconnect it I get no signal and the monitor goes to sleep. Is there a fix for this? I've been trying to figure it out but had no luck. I have another hackintosh with Big Sur and Nvidia GT 740 and I can unplug and plug back in the monitor all day and have no issues.

If I disconnect the monitor after booting and reconnect it I get no signal and the monitor goes to sleep.
Why are you disconnecting the monitor after booting ?

Why are you disconnecting the monitor after booting ?
Limited number of available monitors, limited space on my desk, limited input ports on the monitors. Poor mans way to switch between computers I guess.

Limited number of available monitors, limited space on my desk, limited input ports on the monitors.
So you're adapting onboard DP to VGA ? Or DP to HDMI ?

Hi folks,

I recently got interested to install M.2 PCIe NVME adapter on my Optimac 9020 MT. As you know, PCIe x1 is not available if you install a certain size GPU in PCIe x16. Also, my PCIe x4 has Fenvi WiFi+Bluetooth card. So, I ordered 90 degrees angled PCIe x1 extender in order to see if I can move Fenvi to PCIe x1 in an empty PCI slot with the extender and install the NVME adapter in PCIe x4. It takes 3 weeks to be delivered, but I'll keep you folks posted (hope anybody is interested...).

PCIe x1 angled extender

Last edited:
So you're adapting onboard DP to VGA ? Or DP to HDMI ?
Sorry, I forgot to explain that earlier. I've been using the DP port next to the VGA port. The cable goes from DP to DVI.

So, I hauled out another monitor which does support DP and used a DP to DP cable. The monitor comes back on if I unplug and replug the DP cable! Still, I'm unsure why the DP to DVI cable replugging doesn't work for this hackintosh but isn't an issue for my other hackintosh. I have noticed the back of the case of the 9020 USFF has a DP symbol and not DP++ so perhaps it is a small miracle that the DP to DVI cable works at all. I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Hi folks,

I recently got interested to install M.2 PCIe NVME adapter on my Optimac 9020 MT. As you know, PCIe x1 is not available if you install a certain size GPU in PCIe x16. Also, my PCIe x4 has Fenvi WiFi+Bluetooth card. So, I ordered 90 degrees angled PCIe x1 extender in order to see if I can move Fenvi to PCIe x1 in an empty PCI slot with the extender and install the NVME adapter in PCIe x4. It takes 3 weeks to be delivered, but I'll keep you folks posted (hope anybody is interested...).

PCIe x1 angled extender
I will be interested in your results. Here is a post I made on my approach. Dell Optiplex 9010 MT mod use GPU covered PCIe 1x slot. The 9010 MT is slightly different, but the idea is the same.

I needed help again
I changed the BIOS battery today as I did not have one last time but now I can't start Mac OS

Attachments

• IMG_20220504_222248.jpg
    IMG_20220504_222248.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20220504_222019.jpg
    IMG_20220504_222019.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 35
I needed help again
I changed the BIOS battery today as I did not have one last time but now I can't start Mac OS
if it booted fine before, then best re check your bios settings again

Back