Contribute
Register

The Dell OptiMac Big Sur/OpenCore Thread - For 7020/9020 Optiplex Desktops

Reset NVRAM, and VIOLA!!! Apple TV works! Amazon Prime works! I will try Netflix - I don't have an account so will sign up for a trial and report back.
No not Viola, that's a musical instrument. It's Voila: https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-e&q=voila

Good work, you did your research. So this is with the WX4100 gfx card right ? Did you try with the NVS 510 ? I doubt that would work with this method, only AMD seems to work for newer macOS versions.

Last edited:
No not Viola, that's a musical instrument. Its' Voila: https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-e&q=voila

Good work, you did your research. So this is with the WX4100 gfx card right ? Did you try with the NVS 510 ? I doubt that would work with this method.
Oh boy! Thanks for correcting me. I had no idea there was a musical instrument called Viola.

Thank you! The problem is all the research was after the fact - lol. Then I started to scramble cuz I was worried I have a $250 worthless gpu on my hands.

I thought that swapping Nvidia card with the AMD would be all it takes. How naïve of me!

Yes, this is with the AMD WX4100 4GB. I didn’t want to go the route of RX 570 and having to change the psu and all.

This is a nice single slot card and low power consumption and you have it listed on your page of devices. So I knew it would be a sure shot.

I haven’t tried with the NVS….

Well…. Sleep doesn’t work.

Waking up to a black screen…..

Any ideas? I’ll do some research as well.

Well…. Sleep doesn’t work.
That's what happens. When you disable Legacy Option ROMs so the AMD card will work, then (wake from) sleep doesn't work. Don't know of any solutions for that.

That's what happens. When you disable Legacy Option ROMs so the AMD card will work, then sleep doesn't work. Don't know of any solutions for that.

Understood. Yeah I guess take the good with the bad. I did disable Legacy Options ROM.

Appreciate the fast reply!

I will research and post back if I find something.

An update.

I tried multiple settings for unfairgva - 1, 7, 5

I also set the

defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA gvaForceAMDKE -boolean yes

Apple TV works, but not all of Amazon prime videos work.

So, it doesn't look like all is well. It's still a hit and miss when it comes to DRM.

Yea that seems like the right thing to do.

Do you think I should keep the WX 4100 or go back to the NVS 510?

Yea that seems like the right thing to do.

Do you think I should keep the WX 4100 or go back to the NVS 510?
If you plan on staying with BS for the long term you can keep using the 510.
If you want to go with Monterey at some point then you'd need the 4100 for that to work.

If you plan on staying with BS for the long term you can keep using the 510.
If you want to go with Monterey at some point then you'd need the 4100 for that to work.
Thanks man! I do plan to stick with BS, so I’ll go back to the NVS.

Appreciate all the advice and help.

Back