Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

I think I did have a look at the GPU specs for the 510 against the k600 some time ago and my memory is that they were close with the 510 only about 10-20 percent better.
EDIT: This benchmark link puts them almost equal with memory size as the only difference.
Yes it seems hacks using the 710 seem to run into problems above 30hz but the only test Ive run on a windows machine using the 710 at 4k was a straight hdmi cable to a friends 4k TV and that was 60hz refresh without anything special being done. As I dont have a 4k monitor ...

Last edited:
the only test Ive run on a windows machine using the 710 at 4k was a straight hdmi cable to a friends 4k TV and that was 60hz refresh without anything special being done.
If 60 Hz works in macOS too that would be nice. HDMI 2.0 always seems to be flawless when using Win10 but not so much with macOS. I'll try to check my 710 with a 4K tv when I get a chance. The way I see the dedicated graphics options for this build they fall into two categories. For the SFF you are choosing from low cost, single slot Nvidia Kepler cards. They all work to power a 4K monitor/TV and have native support. The only good SFF AMD option is the WX 4100 card which costs well over $220. Most people will not pay that much when they could power multi 4K displays with a NVS 510 for way less money. So for higher end grapics performance from well supported AMD cards, the only real option is to buy the MT and get a 580 or at least the 570. My intention for this build was to make it affordable and entry level but to also give upgrade options to have all the latest greatest stuff. A 4K monitor, NVMe and an RX 580 are what you'll see on most "new" builds in this User Builds forum. Those with not a large budget now can always add those things later and not feel like they had to compromise due to lack of hardware funds. Performance of this build should be pretty close to any new Kaby Lake system with an i5 or i7.

Last edited:
What happens if u try 4k on the 4600? It looks like a better GPU than any of the compatable nvidia cards

What happens if u try 4k on the 4600? It looks like a better GPU than any of the compatable nvidia cards
Poli169 will be trying that on his LG 4K monitor with DP input. He'll let us know how it works. It's certainly a good option with the LG 4K. The problem with HD4600 is that you've only got onboard DP out. The GT 710 has HDMI 2.0 output. Most people don't have a TV or monitor with DP input so adapters are needed. To get 4K at 60Hz on a TV you'd need a 20 dollar active DP to HDMI 2.0 adapter. The NVS 510 is in this User Build because you can run multiple 4K monitors, up to 4, by only spending $70 or less. You really can't expect to run 2 4K monitors well with HD4600/DP output on the 7020. It would use up to 2GB of your system ram to run them.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S0C7QO8/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Last edited:
Yeah forgot about the restrictions with adaptors
Edit: BUT !
The adaptor issue is that you cant get a hdmi-out to a DP-in to work at 4k @ 60hz (cheaply),
here we are trying to get a DP-out to hdmi-in, which this £6 cable does
Amazon DP out to HDMI in

Last edited:
@nicksoph so did you format your NVMe as Extended Journal or apfs? And would you mind taking a picture of your BIOS boot sequence and the folder containing the NVMe EFI.

There are instructions here for how to format drive when installing - format both the same. BIOS boot sequence is changed during process but the important thing is that you start with UEFI:USB... I think the instructions re BIOS on the spinoff thread are precise - go thru those and as soon as you get to a bit that dont seem right or you dont understand - come back and edit your own post 156 and Ill reply

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-06-19 at 20.44.57.png
    Screenshot 2019-06-19 at 20.44.57.png
    991.3 KB · Views: 147
  • Screenshot 2019-06-19 at 20.52.57.png
    Screenshot 2019-06-19 at 20.52.57.png
    437.3 KB · Views: 137
@nicksoph so did you format your NVMe as Extended Journal or apfs? And would you mind taking a picture of your BIOS boot sequence and the folder containing the NVMe EFI.
Sorry to cut in!. I formatted my NVMe as apfs. You don’t install Clover on the NVMe drive, it’s all on the SATA based drive. The most important thing is to make sure the NVMe extension is installed in the correct folder on the USB installer you created with UniBeast. There are more precise details here earlier in the thread. And also on trs96 guide, Dell 7010/9010 Rev2.

I do not understand the issues here - I can for sure say that I formatted them both the same and that works. Im wondering what it means on a hack eg - Does apple write anything to the efi folder of the SATA drive? It would normally write to the efi folder of the drive its on.

I do not understand the issues here - I can for sure say that I formatted them both the same and that works. Im wondering what it means on a hack eg - Does apple write anything to the efi folder of the SATA drive? It would normally write to the efi folder of the drive its on.
@Poli169 I would need to check when I’m in front of my Hackintosh. But if I remember my sequence correctly, like @nicksoph says, you format the NVMe and HDD exactly the same. I did this from Utilities on the Mojave USB installer I created with UniBeast. I also installed the NVMe driver into the EFI of the installer. Once you arrive at the desktop copy the EFI folder from the USB installer to the EFI of the HDD.

Back