Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

Just for fun I searched "Fermi Freeze" on this site and found 524 results going back to early 2011. No one should even be using these cards with Windows 10 today, much less macOS.

Screen Shot 2.jpg

From an article on Wccftech.com early 2018:

NVIDIA Fermi Moved To Legacy Status, No Driver Support Effective April 2018 - Critical Security Updates Will Be Made Available Through January 2019

NVIDIA introduced and launched their first Fermi GPU based GeForce graphics card, the GeForce GTX 480 back in 2010. The first and revised Fermi GPUs were made part of the NVIDIA GeForce 400 and GeForce 500 series lineup. It has been almost 8 years (GTX 480 launched in April 2010) and the green team is finally moving all Fermi based GeForce cards to legacy status.

Last edited:
Has anyone taken the plunge and installed Big Sur on their OptiMac yet? Experience, learnings or anything you'd like to share?

Has anyone taken the plunge and installed Big Sur on their OptiMac yet? Experience, learnings or anything you'd like to share?
I haven't yet as the Apple Servers were not working yesterday due to high demand. It's certainly not time yet to fully transition/upgrade to Big Sur. If you are curious about it you can try installing to a clean SSD while leaving your existing Catalina drive disconnected. Note that you must clear NVRAM each time you switch between Clover and OC. If not it will probably create booting problems.

I'm suggesting that everyone that wants Big Sur learn about OpenCore first as there are many changes/differences that are essential to understand. Clover has borrowed heavily from OC lately but I still don't recommend it for use with Big Sur. Take home point: Don't be in a hurry to upgrade to OC and Big Sur. Study and learn first. Think of it like preparation before taking an exam. If you go into it unprepared, you'll be certain to fail the exam.

Last edited:
Has anyone taken the plunge and installed Big Sur on their OptiMac yet?

Update to Big Sur went fine, but now the same issue.

- Videos are only shown in red.
- AppleTV+ Videos opens and closes immediately

I had the same issue in Catalina, without shikigva=80. But now this option is still active....

on Big Sur all DRM Content won't work anymore.

This was written by madman1234 who is using a supported RX 570 GPU. Not good news.

Last edited:
I've done a clean install just an hour ago. Everything went fine. I'm using OpenCore 0.6.3.

The only annoying issue it's a persistent wifi icon on the status bar (see red arrow). I have no wireless adapter.

Attachments

• gran_sur.png
    gran_sur.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 91
Last edited:
I've did a clean install just an hour ago. Everything went fine. I'm using OpenCore 0.6.3.

The only annoying issue it's a persistent wifi icon on the status bar (see red arrow). I have no wireless adapter.
then remove it :)

Back