Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

Just wanted to put out there that I seem to be having random Finder hangs and crashes after updating to 10.15.4 on my Optiplex 9020 MT. At first I thought it may have been something on my end as I’ve updated my MacBook Pro as well and haven’t run into the issue there, but it looks like other users who have installed the update on genuine Apple hardware are having the same Finder issues.

I’m sure many of you already make backups before you update, but in case you don’t then please do as this Finder issue seems to be hit and miss and you don’t want to have to start from scratch again if it affects you.

Source:

Last edited:
Have anyone a Catalina guide for a Dell or HP workstation? Same gen with Dell 7020, with Xeon E5 or dual Xeon E5?

Have anyone a Catalina guide for a Dell or HP workstation? Same gen with Dell 7020, with Xeon E5 or dual Xeon E5?
Some have used the HP Z440 workstation with an E5 Haswell CPU. There is no detailed guide for it that I know of.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P162YP6/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

The Dell equivalent would be the Precision T5810. Not any well written guides on that either. They are fairly expensive to buy still at over $1300 USD. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q3HSK4Y/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

If you want a 6 core e5-1650 V3 the best price you can get on Ebay is around $300. Not a bad deal but you can get a quad core i7-4790 Optiplex 9020 for about $140 less than that right now.

Screen Shot 56.jpg

You might consider looking at some of the detailed X99 User Builds here. Just know that they are more complicated to get working than these Q87 based Dell systems we are using in this guide.

Last edited:
Some have used the HP Z440 workstation with an e5 Haswell CPU. There is no detailed guide for it that I know of.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P162YP6/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

The Dell equivalent would be the Precision T5810. Not any well written guides on that either. They are fairly expensive to buy still at over $1300 USD. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q3HSK4Y/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

If you want a 6 core e5-1650 V3 the best price you can get on Ebay is around $300. Not a bad deal but you can get a quad core i7-4790 Optiplex 9020 for about $150 less than that right now.

You might consider looking at some of the detailed X99 User Builds here. Just know that they are more complicated to get working than these Q87 based Dell systems we are using in this guide.
You mean this guide?

Thanks a lot for the info.

You mean this guide?
That's the most detailed one. Read through it and see if you are prepared to do all of that to get a working system.

First off: Moderators, I apologize ahead of time if this post for help is in the wrong place.

I used this guide to build my Optimac 9020 tower. Everything works great except for Radeon 580 card. I followed all the troubleshooting posts I could find on TonyMac and ******, but I have had no luck. At this point my config file is swiss cheese (Although I saved the original copy). Can somebody review my config and make some suggestions? I would love to get this to work. If I cannot, can anyone suggest an alternate Catalina compatible GPU for me?

As you can see, the GPU appears in the profiler but is available no where else.

Greenshot 2020-03-29 13.41.14.png

Attachments

• config.plist.zip
    2.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Greenshot 2020-03-29 13.41.14.png
    Greenshot 2020-03-29 13.41.14.png
    189.1 KB · Views: 34
First off: Moderators, I apologize ahead of time if this post for help is in the wrong place.

I used this guide to build my Optimac 9020 tower. Everything works great except for Radeon 580 card. I followed all the troubleshooting posts I could find on TonyMac and ******, but I have had no luck. At this point my config file is swiss cheese (Although I saved the original copy). Can somebody review my config and make some suggestions? I would love to get this to work. If I cannot, can anyone suggest an alternate Catalina compatible GPU for me?

As you can see, the GPU appears in the profiler but is available no where else.

View attachment 458394

Is the 580 from Sapphire? please post the full model name. Also, you seem to have a lot of ATI patches checked off even though you **shouldn't** need it.

Also, What kind of video setup are you trying to go for? Are you trying to hook up displays to both the Intel and AMD GPUs or are you planning on only hooking up displays to the AMD GPU and use the Intel integrated graphics for background processing?

EDIT: I just noticed that you're using a Mac Pro 6,1 SMBIOS. Is there a reason you decided to use that instead of the recommended iMac 14,1 / 14,2 / 15,1 ones?

Is the 580 from Sapphire? please post the full model name. Also, you seem to have a lot of ATI patches checked off even though you **shouldn't** need it.

Also, What kind of video setup are you trying to go for? Are you trying to hook up displays to both the Intel and AMD GPUs or are you planning on only hooking up displays to the AMD GPU and use the Intel integrated graphics for background processing?

EDIT: I just noticed that you're using a Mac Pro 6,1 SMBIOS. Is there a reason you decided to use that instead of the recommended iMac 14,1 / 14,2 / 15,1 ones?

Thank you for the response. Yes, it is a Sapphire Radeon.
I only plan to connect a single 27" monitor via HDMI (although DP available as well).
Over the last month I went down a rabbit hole of forum posts and made a ton of edits to my config to see if it resulted in any changes. Originally my config matched the one provided in this Golden Build thread. I am happy to make any changes to get everything working.
I am happy to disable the Intel GPU once I can get the AMD to work.

Thank you again!

I am having a lot of trouble getting Windows 10 installed on my OptiMac. It simply refuses to boot after I have run the Windows installer from the USB. It seems like the SSD that I am installing to doesn't get a proper EFI partition.

If anyone who has had success with this on the OptiMac is around, could persuade you to take a look at sad tale here (and a couple of posts more after that): https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-multibooting-uefi-on-separate-drives.198869/post-2094502

I am at the end of my rope here :(

I am having a lot of trouble getting Windows 10 installed on my OptiMac. It simply refuses to boot after I have run the Windows installer from the USB. It seems like the SSD that I am installing to doesn't get a proper EFI partition.

If anyone who has had success with this on the OptiMac is around, could persuade you to take a look at sad tale here (and a couple of posts more after that): https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-multibooting-uefi-on-separate-drives.198869/post-2094502

I am at the end of my rope here :(
Make a USB for Windows only with Rufus and install Windows.
Change boot order in BIOS and make first the macOS SSD.

Back