Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

Sure for the NVMe. :)

I'm gonna buy a Samsung EVO ^^

Thanks for all, trs96. Your topic is so pretty good. :) Maybe you can add a SSD topic to prevent users like me about slow SSD write speed (brands and models to forget, and ones that we must have for a perfect optimac) and the impact for daily use (Internet speed /files copy write speed, etc.).

Maybe you can add a SSD topic to prevent users like me about slow SSD write speed
One last thing. Makes sure you connect any SATA SSD to SATA 0 or 1. The White colored SATA connectors are only half as fast.

Attachments

• 1581009439349.jpeg
    1581009439349.jpeg
    52.3 KB · Views: 52
yes it is , Kingston a400 on the Sata 0 port, since the beginning.

hello everyone,

Does anyone have some trouble with SSD write speed? I have installed Mojave on my Optimac ( i7-4790, 8g ram, RX 580), all is working well, but write speed on the SSD (a kingston A400 256GB ), is very slow with BlackMagic. Sometimes, firsts test are good, (about R 300 Mb/s), but after 4-5 test, the speed slows down and speed is about 45 Mb/s. I have TRIM enabled (trimforce enabled+ chameleon), tested with Clover trim patch enabled/disabled + trim for third party, but always the same.. the SSD's health is good (verification with Disk Sensei), and empty storage is about the half (140GB of 256Gbs)

I have another 3.5 classic HDD of 2TB, there is no problem about write speed, he is faster than the SSD..

i have seen that this SSD brand is not very good, especially for write speed..

I need your help... Maybe I have to do another clean install but in HFS+, what do you think?

Hi, you tried it without TRIM right? Cause APFS is already optimized for SSD's and doesnt really need it (in many cases).

Consider an NVMe SSD for the fastest write speeds.

Is the SSD performance drop to be expected with any SATA3 SSD in this system, or is it related to the Kingston?

If for instance using the Crucial MX500 that you list, would it be different?

If for instance using the Crucial MX500 that you list, would it be different?
That's a much better SSD that offers some DRam caching so it should perform better than the Kingston which has no DRam.

Last edited:
That's a much better SSD that offers some write caching so it should perform better than the Kingston.

Ok. Is there any SSD that would be the optimal choice? I'm going to have to buy one anyway (unless I can use one of the 850 EVO I have in a drawer) so I might as well go for the best one.

so I might as well go for the best one.
The 860 Pro by Samsung is the best Sata SSD you can buy. It's a bit pricy but will last longer than any other drive, even if you write data to it all day long. 600 TBW is the 512GB SSD rating. That's 600 terabytes written before it wears out. Wow !
For the SATA SSD market then, the 860 PRO stands to be the latest, greatest, fastest, and possibly last(est) high-end desktop MLC SATA SSD that we'll ever see.
Anandtech

What anandtech is saying by "lastest" MLC SSD is that every SSD manufacturer is going to less expensive TLC and QLC Nand flash instead of MLC which holds up best long term. One Samsung 840 Pro SSD lasted over 2.4 PB of writes to it's cells. A Petabyte is = to 1,000 TB. So Samsung's ratings are very conservative.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07836C6YV/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Last edited:
Hi, you tried it without TRIM right? Cause APFS is already optimized for SSD's and doesnt really need it (in many cases).

i tried both of them ( with and without), slow write speed is the same after 4-5 tests with BlackMagic

Back