Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

Perfect! I have ordered that, and it should be here tomorrow. Fingers crossed that it works.

That's my goal with these guides/user builds. I want to make hackintoshing accessible to everyone even if they aren't techies/coders etc. macOS shouldn't be for just the very rich that can spend $2000 + on a Mac or those that have a PhD in writing code.

You've inspired me to try and work on my other Hackie - the ASROCK H270M that I use in HiDPI (1080p) headless using the stock HD630. Never really got it to work perfectly. But looking at this Dell and how well it works, I am sure it can get there.

These are available on Amazon or you could look on Ebay too. Some have even created their own from an old USB cable.
Search in the Optiplex 7010/9010 guide for that.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000V6WD8A/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Fitted my Dual Band BCM94360CS2 Wifi BT PCIe card earlier, which I purchased from eBay. Wifi works like a charm, and I have ordered the adapter cable to enable Bluetooth. This has to be my favorite Hackintosh so far, I definitely prefer these over the HP, there well built and really simple to upgrade. Considering I bought a Barebones for $40 this machine performs really well.

This has to be my favorite Hackintosh so far, I definitely prefer these over the HP, there well built and really simple to upgrade.
I agree, I've sold all of my HP machines and switched to Optiplex instead. Once we were able to sort out the USB issues, which were many, these models became the best choice for budget minded pre-builts. The HP 8300 does still win in a few areas such as the ability to use 4 pin PWM fans that work, onboard USB 2.0 headers, even on the SFF and the HP BIOS is more OOB compatible. These Dell models require many more SSDTs to patch ACPI problems.

I posted about a month saying I was going to try this, and since then I have procured an Optiplex 9020 i7 and a 7020 i5. For now, I am more interested in the NVMe angle of this build, and have a few NVMe's, including a Samsung 960 and an HP EX920 to try.

I certainly plan to do a Clover boot off an SSD, but what is very unclear in the instructions is just how to set up the EFI partition on the SSD and install Clover. When I set up Windows machines to do this, I used BDU to partition and install Clover, but there's no mention of that here and I'm not at all sure that would work here. Any specific instruction would be most welcome and inclusion of such instructions on page 1 would be even better.

Thanks!

Any specific instruction would be most welcome and inclusion of such instructions on page 1 would be even better.
In step 3 when you partition your drive GUID in Disk Utlity it automatically creates the 200 MB EFI partition at that time. In step 4 when you run Multibeast it installs Clover to the hidden EFI partition when you choose the selections I've outlined. That's why none of that is mentioned in the guide, it's all taken care of for you. macOS is a completely different world from Windows, in a good way.

You can read the UniBeast and MultiBeast documentation which is included with each app.

This is software that simply makes life easier for any hackintosher. It's often misunderstood in the larger Hackintosh community by people that don't bother to read about what it actually does.

Last edited:
I attempted the install, and yes, Uni/MultiBeast did what was promised on a 9020 with an i7-4790. The installation generally works and the Samsung 960 worked fine, gives a read speed of about 2500-2600MB/s. However, HDMI audio does not show up; the line outs, line ins and headphones do. It's not the DP/HDMI cable nor the TV set, because both work fine in a 7010 installation.

I followed the problem reporting instructions, but I'm not sure this will do any good because it was looking at the EFI partition on the Nvme, not the one on the SSD. I'd appreciate any instructions on how to change that, along with verification as to what specific file is supposed to enable HDMI audio, and where it's supposed to be.

Attachments

• debug_2797.zip
    355.8 KB · Views: 44
@OlderFogie re problem reporting files not working with NVMe drive, I do the
  1. F2/F4 (?) thing on Clover screen to dump the data to the SATA Clover folder, then
  2. go in to OSX and copy the Clover folder from EFI/SATA to EFI/NVMe, then
  3. run the problem reporting script, then
  4. delete the clover folder from EFI/NVMe.
May have some duff info re what its booting from but otherwise seems to work

I did what nicksoph said, and attached are the results, thanks! IOREG dump still didn't work.

Attachments

• debug_8299.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 47
@OlderFogie IO reg problem may be due to permissions - Open Sys prefs on security tab and run script again and watch out for permissions access request for Terminal - tick in the right place and it should work next time you run PR script

Last edited:
Back