Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

Just been notified that my i5-4690K has been delivered. You said it was fast trs96 so I got one. It will be the fastest Hackintosh I’ve built, I’m looking forward to getting it up and running tonight.

They are also small, quiet and really energy efficient. You even got the better gold rated PSU, so you hit the jackpot with this purchase.

I think I have hit the jackpot!. I already plugged in the the 250 GB HP EX900 NVMe drive in the X16 slot. And connected the 500 GB WD HDD to the SATA cable then plugged in the i5-4690K processor which I got for $98 including shipping. After changing some BIOS settings and restarting everything worked first time.
The HD4600 graphics look really sharp!. I do have a 42" TV that has 4K at 60Hz that I could test it on.
I also purchased this dual band BT4 Wifi card from eBay after reading about it here, I'm expecting it to arrive this week. A really cheap, quiet and very fast Hackintosh, thanks trs96 for another great build!.

Screen Shot 2019-07-08 at 8.10.19 PM.png

Last edited:
really cheap, quiet and very fast Hackintosh, thanks trs96 for another great build!.
Also, you don't need to worry about any case modding or the amount of airflow through the case ! Makes your job much simpler than it was with the BluEye G5 build. The other thing to consider is that you're using an iMac 15,1 sysdef so official Apple support will be longer than for Ivy Bridge based systems. I'd expect official macOS support through 10.16 and possibly beyond even that into the 2020s.

I do have a 42" TV that has 4K at 60Hz that I could test it on.
Would be interested to see how an active DP 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 adapter works for you with the HD4600 igfx. One reader here has tried with straight DP to DP 1.4 input on the LG 27" 4K monitor and was not successful at getting 4K yet.

Last edited:
4k - There is a 4K patch for GPU's generally but if it will work for the 4600?? Hackintool seems to have an option to create the patch (and a 2K one) - not tried by me, and it may only work with HDMI.

Would be interested to see how an active DP 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 adapter works for you with the HD4600 igfx.

Do you mean like this one?. It's only HDMI 1.4a output though.

HDMI 1.4a.png

Last edited:
Awesome write up, thank you OP. @trs96

I have an old Dell Optiplex 9020 lying around with i7 4790 and 32GB RAM. I plan to use HD4600 DP to HDMI cable to pipe audio through my monitor. Can't wait to try this out.

For 4K at 60Hz it requires HDMI 2.0

Yeah, I noticed the looking around the web that even though some cables say 4K@60Hz, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's HDMI 2, a little confusing!. Anyway I found one on eBay that clearly says it's HDMI 2.

Managed to get 7020 with only 4600 graphics working without Option ROMs enabled but only if I leave out all the renames on the ACPI screen in clover! Not a recommendation but causes me to wonder which of them has an effect here.

Back