Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

Maybe for movies mainly and just normal web surfing. And mainly just to see if I could figure it out and get it working. What options do I have for the GPU besides the Quadro? I have a SFF.
My GT 710 can do 4K at 30 Hz connected to a HiSense 43" 4K tv. Not sure if it can do 60Hz with a better cable or not. It's perfectly usable at 30Hz for movies and web surfing. I don't get any mouse lag or other problems with it. The AMD WX4100 works in the SFF but cost is more than $200. Probably more horsepower than you need. The lowest cost option is a K600 for $20 on Ebay if you don't want to spend a lot. Cheapest option is to use the 1440p resolution with HD4600 graphics. I'm sure it looks pretty good on your 27" monitor. Where 4K is most important is when the screen size is 70" plus. Then the extra pixels to push become more important.

It would be hard to tell the difference between the i5 and the i7 unless you were doing some video encoding or other things that use all 8 threads of the i7.
@trs96, I enjoy the 9010/7010 platform thanks to your guide making it so easy. I too am tempted by your latest guide. I might be able to get a 9020 i7 for a decent price. Would you say it is worth it (performance) to upgrade myself and hand off one of my 9010's to family or friend?

@trs96, I enjoy the 9010/7010 platform thanks to your guide making it so easy. I too am tempted by your latest guide. I might be able to get a 9020 i7 for a decent price. Would you say it is worth it (performance) to upgrade myself and hand off one of my 9010's to family or friend?
It really depends on what you are using it for. For video and photo editing it's probably worth moving up to an i7-4790. If it's primarily for gaming and content consumption then the 3770 is more than adequate. Not worth the upgrade. You can get a 9020 MT barebones on Ebay for $45 right now. I bought one and put my own 4790 and ram in it. Doesn't get any lower cost than that ! If you just want a 7020 SFF then get one of those for $39.99 from the same seller.

Gigabyte Aorus RX 570 in a 9020 MT
Just attempted installing my Aorus RX 570 into the 9020 MT. Everything fits. It doesn't block any sata ports. It does make the USB 3.0 cable to the motherboard a little more difficult to connect. The length of that just barely reaches if it's got the Dell cable ties intact. The tooless latch for the PCIe closing bracket has no problems with this card. No mods required to close the latch completely !

The 970 runs with just the stock 290W Dell PSU. I ran an 8 pin power adapter from the motherboard's sata power connectors. Works great for general use. For gaming you should upgrade to at least a 450W high quality, name brand ATX PSU.

The Aorus RX 570 4GB doesn't block anything other than the PCIe x1 slot right above it.

This 80+ bronze PSU handles the 570 just fine for non-gaming usage. If you were to play AAA titles with my setup it would draw too much power through the motherboard and could cause issues. I'm not going to game with this system so I'm not the one to find out what might happen. If you try gaming with a 570 and the stock PSU report back how it goes. If you do damage the motherboard, replacements are fairly cheap but it takes time and effort to do the swap. So just be aware of the risk you're taking.

Here's the Aorus RX 570 that I've got and tested: https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-radeon-rx-570-gv-rx570aorus-4gd/p/N82E16814125965

With general use like internet surfing the fans don't spin up. It's completely silent. It's also hard to hear any of the three fans running in this Dell 9020. I'm very impressed with what Dell has done. For a $45 dollar purchase I'm more than happy.

8 pin power adapter. Required for the 570 to work. I plugged in both sata power connections but one should work. You can use both sata power connectors that are on the cable for the optical drive power. Leave the other two for Sata SSDs.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007Y8FSMQ/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Startech 8 pin connection to the 570. I know, it's not pretty but there is no side window on the 9020 MT. ;)

Last edited:
Right angled USB adaptor - https://www.moddiy.com/products/90-...in-20-Pin-Internal-Header-Mini-Connector.html

Installed a AMD 7770 card and it gives about 3 times the score of the IGPU on geekbench CL score and set the IGPU up as headless - which seemed to work but left the Intel GPU running at its highest clock speed, have you made your Intel headless or are you keeping it as a normal GPU?
Nice find on that adapter ! I've just gotten the 570 installed less than 30 minutes ago so haven't looked into running headless yet. Which ig platform id works for igpu in headless mode ?

Not at machine - there are two options I think Im using the one that ends in 000D (?)edit i looking at the linkbelow - 000B not D

Your power supply is probably better than a no name 450 watt supply, - https://www.dell.com/community/Desk...lex-7020-MT-Video-Power-Upgrades/td-p/4535812
Didnt I get that link for the right angled usb from you or at least one of your threads?

Last edited:
Didnt I get that link for the right angled usb from you or at least one of your threads?
Maybe but I dont' recall where or when. I always buy Seasonic or Corsair PSUs so I'd never recommend any no name 450W PSU. Those are a disaster waiting to happen. I'm assuming most of my readers are that well informed. Penny pinching and going cheap on a PSU really makes no sense. Here's how I've changed that post:
For gaming you should upgrade to at least a 450W high quality, name brand ATX PSU.

The most important part of the PSU upgrade is not the extra 160W you get, but the fact that you're not drawing supplemental power directly from the motherboard. It's not designed to supply extra power to a graphics card like the RX 570 that I'm using. Maybe it was not a good idea to show what I'm doing. I'm sure someone will try gaming without upgrading the PSU. I've given a fair enough warning so I'm not worried about it.

Last edited:
I'm bidding on a Dell Bronze Rated PSU for this Dell - but have ordered an 8 pin power adapter as well because I want to try a standard PSU before buying one for this machine, as it's a Dell, and as much as they make good machines they seem to have their own way of doing things and here Im concerned that the standby power wont work with a standard psu and converter.

Last edited:
which seemed to work but left the Intel GPU running at its highest clock speed, have you made your Intel headless or are you keeping it as a normal GPU?
This is what I'm getting when enabling the iGPU in headless mode. The HD4600 GFX frequency stays locked at 1.2 GHz and the PKG power is a few watts higher. Not sure if this is normal or not for headless mode. It would be great if someone could test their "real" iMac 14,2 or 15,1 and see if that does the same thing.

Back