Contribute
Register

System has no response if VGA is plugged in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77
CPU
Intel i3 3220
Graphics
GTX 650 Ti
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I have a fully functionaly hackintosh system that I have run and booted Mountain Lion from but there is one really puzzling problem...

First off, here is my hardware:

Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H 1155 socket
Intel Core i3 3220 (Ivy Bridge)
Gigabyte GTX 650 Ti 2GB
Kingston HyperX 2x 4GB
Seagate 1TB HDD
Samsung DVD drive

I managed to install all the bootloaders and other drivers on to the system and I can run Mountain Lion fine. There are no problems whatsoever with the OS.

However when I turn on my computer if my VGA cable is plugged into the graphics card, the entire system does not respond, I get a black screen, my PC mouse does not light up (as it usually does when turning on computer) and nothing appears. No BIOS, no information of what's going wrong, just a black screen.
The weirder part of this is that when I turn the system off and back on with the VGA cable detached before turning on, the system seems to show activity and my mouse lights up and once that happens I know it is safe to plug the vga cable back into the graphics card to which it displays the apple loading logo and proceeds into the account login for Mac OS X.

Why does the VGA connection affect whether or not the computer responds or not. It's puzzling. I have tried to access the motherboard BIOS to find any settings regarding the graphics card that could be causing this problem where the computer does not respond or have any activity at all but I could not find anything.

I only have VGA cables since both my monitors can only use VGA so I cannot determine whether it is a VGA problem or not.

If anyone has had the same problem, it would be awesome to know that I'm not alone in this haha

Thanks for your time anyway

Chris

This is going to be a problem for you as Mountain Lion does not support VGA. You could buy a GT610 graphics card and install that in your machine, the VGA port might work and allow you to continue using a VGA monitor for a little longer.

From 2015 VGA will become obsolete worldwide. You need to move towards HDMI, DVI-D and (more expensive thunderbolt)
Your HD2500 graphics isn't really supported without using the latest Chimera : http://www.tonymacx86.com/377-chimera-2-2-update.html

Do you have a TV with HDMI that you might be able to try using?

Adrian B

Thanks Adrian for your reply!

So if I was to use a VGA to DVI adapter to plug into the graphics card do you think this would solve the problem?

Chris

Thanks Adrian for your reply!

So if I was to use a VGA to DVI adapter to plug into the graphics card do you think this would solve the problem?

Chris

Chris,

We find that although it does not work 100%, it often works if the DVI socket is marked DVI-I. If it is marked DVI-D, then not a chance. Some cards come with these adaptors.

They are DVI to VGA adaptors (from GPU to monitor), you don't want one of the other ones as it will not fit/work :thumbup:

One thing to remember - you need a new monitor soon.

Adrian B

Cool, thanks for all the advice and info!

You've helped me out a bunch :D

Thanks again Adrian :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back