Contribute
Register

[Success] XFX RX 6600 XT graphics card in Monterey 12.2.1

@dragonmel
It seems to be a Rx 6600 Xt as other models. I think it must be valid for macOS. With different soft power play table, probably.
my thoughts as well.. but before blowing coin I dont have.. thought I would try and get someone with 'eyes on' to verify .. seems like its a low risk deal.

My other option is to take my Vega56 from another build but was wanting to keep it in that machine primarily to still run Mojave as I have a very old but needed adobe CS6 license that I will loose as I make this 'new' machine a Z440 with a E5-2683v4 my daily driver with Monterey/Ventura. Currently I have that machine running 'pretty good' on OC 7.8 and mojave .. likely will wait on venture before going further with it, but it has a 710 card in right now just to get the basics right.. will move it hopefully to a 6600 which rules out Mojave capability but more GPU on less WATTS and more future proof is likely the way to go over sticking with VEGA...

Hi @miliuco, some months ago I mounted my first Hackintosh with OpenCore, but I was using an old NVIDIA 760. I have saved some money to go for a 6600, 6600XT or even 6800.
The fact is that with XFX offering better prices I have also heard they also come with a few more problems, and I have recommended Sapphire.
Since I see you are using an RX 6600XT from XFX, I wanted to ask you if you have run any issues with this card, and if you consider that the 6800XT could be a much better option for Photoshop, Lightroom, Premiere and Davinci Resolve than the 6600XT, since XFX has some good offers now.

I apologise if this is not the proper way to ask, I found this to be the thread more similar to my question.
Thanks all!

My old 2 cards were XFX RX 580, working rock solid for more than a year.
Now I have 2 RX 6600 (XT and non XT) also XFX and so far I can say anything negative.
Of course 6800 is clearly more powerful than 6600, for Photoshop 6600 is enough but for Resolve and video editing 6800 is better choice (but more expensive!).
Remember the boot arg agdpmod=pikera.

What @miliuco said. Just did a z440 and went xfx Rex 6600 Xt 308 merc for 200 bucks off eBay. Better perf than my older Vega way less power draw and one boot-arg and done. No issues

My old 2 cards were XFX RX 580, working rock solid for more than a year.
Now I have 2 RX 6600 (XT and non XT) also XFX and so far I can say anything negative.
Of course 6800 is clearly more powerful than 6600, for Photoshop 6600 is enough but for Resolve and video editing 6800 is better choice (but more expensive!).
Remember the boot arg agdpmod=pikera.
I have bought an ASRock RX 6600 XT Challenger Pro card. With iMac20,2 SMBIOS my my system does go to sleep but after a wake by keyboard it will do a reboot. Is that how those 6600 XT cards work in a hack? With my RX 590 I have never experienced that issue.

@GeraldB
This is a new issue out of the scope of this thread. Of course it isn’t the default behavior in a hack. I don’t know your card but I’m pretty sure that sleep can be fine with this card. Open a new thread to get help.

Thanks for reply. I have added it to another thread which is going about sleep and wake with kernel panic with a RX 6600 XT card. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/success-amd-rx6000-series-working-in-macos.306736/post-2341864
I've fixed the issue with the RX6600 card in my setup. I've mentioned it in my Z590I Vision D thread but I'll mention it here. I added SSDT-BRG.aml and SSDT-XSPI.aml to help with this. I added RadeonSensor and SMCRadeonGPU.kext for the sensors. I used the CFG_USE_AGDC key using value of 01000000 (using DATA as type) to also help bring stability to the setup and also added agdpmod=pikera swd_panic=1 forceRenderStandby=0 to the boot-arg.

SSDT-BRG.aml and CFG_USE_AGDC key using value of 01000000 (using DATA as type) did help me too. But I'm using my RX 590 again as it is less pain and enough for Youtube and browsing. I gave the RX 6600 XT to my son as he has more use for it. It has been a learning process for me again.

Back