Contribute
Register

[Success] XFX RX 6600 XT graphics card in Monterey 12.2.1

Thanks @miliuco , got the confidence to go ahead and buy the graphics card. Just want to ask one more thing. I already have the OS and stuff installed. I just need to edit agdpmod=pikera in boot args.

But how to do that. Is there any tutorial which I can follow. I had clover installation. I did it 4 years back and now forgot where is my installation USB as well.

So, what will I need and how to edit that small part can you please let me know. Also, do I need to delete all the data or just need to edit it and it is simple?

Thanks in advanced.

@prasadkarwa
Don't forget you need Monterey 12.1 as a minimum to have 6600 series.
Open config.plist file with a plain text editor, look for a key named boot-args and add there agdpmod=pikera, keeping what you already have there. Something like this
XML:
                <key>boot-args</key>
                <string>agdpmod=pikera</string>

@prasadkarwa
Don't forget you need Monterey 12.1 as a minimum to have 6600 series.
where i can download menterey ? i prefer split file. Direct download from app store is not an options. i sold my laptop which it's support macos high sierra. home network is slow, very very slow. the only option is download the file from android.

where i can download menterey ? i prefer split file. Direct download from app store is not an options. i sold my laptop which it's support macos high sierra. home network is slow, very very slow. the only option is download the file from android.
nope, you download Monterey from the AppStore

Just got msi 6600 xt today to replace my rx 580. but for some reason, the refresh rate dropped from 120hz to 98hz. (I have a 4k 144hz monitor).

I ran the Geekbench 5, the metal score is 88480 https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/compute/4845377
so the performance seems doubled, but i'm not sure why the refresh rate is dropping.

(btw, I'm able to see 144hz in Windows 11).

I'd posted a little while back about how I'd gotten an XFX SWFT 210 6600XT with fans that were always running at a high speed until I'd applied the Henbury patch in macOS or installed the full AMD control panel package in Windows.

According to GPU-Z in Windows, the VBIOS on my card is built with settings apparently tuned for mining (which I have less than zero interest in, and which the 6600XT is a bad choice for anyway), which might account for the higher default fan speed and Zero RPM being disabled by default. The version number is the same as other 6600XT BIOSes available on TechPowerUp, but the build date is mid-October 2021.

So, just a heads up to any 6600XT buyers out there.

guys i have asus b450m motherboard ryzen 2600 processor and aus rx6600 graphices card
i want to install montrey but
it was black screen error
yesh i also set boot argu agdpmod=pikera

@darukaru
Sorry for the delay.
Do you have a little switch close the PCI-e connector to choice between 2 VBIOS? In yes, try both sides to check if one of them has Zero RPM enabled.

@ARUP
You give very little information. Do you have an older macOS trying to upgrade to Monterey? Do you have OpenCore or Clover? Version? Do you have WhateverGreen? Do you get black screen before the picker, the bootloader menu?

Just to chime in..

Managed to swap my RX580 to XFX RX6600XT QICK 308. Installed without a hitch. Just added added "adgpmod=pikera" to the boot-args and reboot with new card.

Pretty much plug and play.

OS Monterey 12.4

Back