Nvidia GeForce GTX 980
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello everyone;
Like I did with my previous build, I'm happy to make a summary of how I accomplished a successful build to help anyone who has similar hardware, since I would never be able to do so without this wonderfull site :).

My Specs:
GA-Z97-HD3 (BIOS version F8)
i7 4790S
16 GB RAM
EVGA GTX 980 4GB
TP-Link PCIe Wirerless adapter

1. BIOS SETTINGS

- Load the default settings.
- Disable VT-D.
- Set xHCI Auto mode.
- Activate xHCI Hand-Off.
- Activate EHCI Hand-Off.
- Set SATA to ACHI Auto.
- Os Type to Other OS in BIOS features.
- If you get random freezes set Memory to enhanced stability in Advanced memory settings.
- For users with GTX cards:
- Set IGFX (Integrated graphics) as first display output. You MUST install with integrated graphics and then proceed with the WebDrivers. Now you must connect your display to the motherboard outputs.​
NOTE: I've been using a DVI-I to VGA adapter since Lion. It will just cause problems to use anything but HDMI from El Capitan onwards. You can use a HDMI TV until you get a HDMI monitor if you dont have one.

2. Prepare Unibeast and follow every step on the official guide.
2.1. Prepare a folder containing the following and copy It into the USB:
- Kext Wizard.
- EFI Mounter.
- Multibeast Sierra edition.
- Clover Configurator
- Atheros AR5B195.... (attached zip below).
- Usefullcodes.rtf (attached below)​
2.2. In my case, other clover partitions in other disks cause me confusions regarding which one to mount. Not to mention that applying configurations to the wrong one might be critical. So disable in the BIOS SATA options ALL other hard drives except for the one you want to install Sierra on.​
3. Boot with "nv_disable=1" "dart=0" "kext-dev-mode=1" and "-v" just in case.
4. Install.
5. Boot with the same flags as before and complete the setup. The resolution should be full, as the HD4600 seems to be natively supported.
6. Copy the folder I made you put in your USB and copy it to the desktop. Then eject the USB and remove it. Luckily you will never need it again until next OS X release ;).
7. Run Multibeast. Select QuickStart, UEFI, make sure the system definition will be iMac14,2. Install and reboot. EDIT: INSTALL 7/8/9 SERIES USB SUPPORT under drivers>usb from THE LATEST MULTIBEAST VERSION to get USB 3.0 working.
(If you have the same card as me) Use KextWizard to install BOTH kext in the Atheros.... zip (attached below). There is no need to reboot, just go to System Preferences and configure your Wi-Fi. Now the basics are done.

AUDIO
Install ALC887/888b drivers from Mulltibeast and reboot. Just that worked for me, easy and lucky.

GTX 980
Download the prober WebDrivers for your version of Sierra.
To check the exact version go to About This Mac and click on the 10.12.xx. The version will be shown in brackets. Then Google is your friend to find the driver.
- Install the web drivers and reboot.
- Use EFI Mounter to mount efi.
- Navigate to EFI/CLOVER/ and double click config.plist. It should open with CloverConfigurator.
- On the "boot" menu, select nada_driver=1. Save and quit. Reboot.​
- Then go to the BIOS and change back the initial display output into the PCI with has the card.
- Connect the monitor into the card.
- Let it boot, and that's it.

NOTE: As I mentioned before, use HDMI. VGA causes panic and reboot. DVI.I to VGA too.
I attached my config.plist in case it makes any good for you.
Done.

Attachments

• Atheros AR5B195 (AR9285+AR3011 Combo) El Capitan.zip
    179.1 KB · Views: 598
  • Usefullcodes.rtf.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 574
  • config.plist
    5 KB · Views: 956
Last edited:
The performance is good? Do You like a Sierra OS?
The USB3 works well (and all USB has any freeze or bug?)
Works perfectly!! Boots fast and withowt additional flags, USB3 works perfect, sleep works, the GTX980 works fully, no known bugs or freezes up to now. Been using it every day for almost two weeks. Except for Apple Store and iMessage, which I will be fixing soon but for me it is unimportant.

Are you dual booting with Windows UEFI? If yes, how you accomplished that?

Are you dual booting with Windows UEFI? If yes, how you accomplished that?
As that causes problems, Boot mode is set to UEFI/Legacy and when I want to boot windows I press F12 to boot the Windows drive directly.
Hope I helped

I'll try to update my el capitan install following your explanation.
Does the ethernet port works OOB?

I'll try to update my el capitan install following your explanation.
Does the ethernet port works OOB?
I really don't know because I have never used Ethernet. I use a wifi PCIe card.

do you how the dp works? (specifically for 4k)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back