Contribute
Register
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_boot_record

MBR is the first 512 bytes of the disk where Ms DOS and such legacy stuff load from. When you tell the Dell BIOS to boot in legacy mode that's where it transfers control to.

Most operating systems leave that first sector alone no matter how the disk is partitioned. A GUID partitioned disk can still have DOS/Linux/whatever/Clover bootloader code stored there.

I've found on my 990s and a couple of Dell notebook that can't seem to boot in UEFI mode that using bios legacy mode with clover installed to the boot sector (MBR) of an otherwise normal GUID / EFI setup solves the problem.

YMMV

edit: I'm not saying start from scratch, run the clover or multibeast installer and tell it to install clover to the MBR. Then run it again doing the correct UEFI install. That should put clover in both locations, so no matter where the BIOS tries to go it finds clover.

MBR is the first 512 bytes of the disk where Ms DOS and such legacy stuff load from. When you tell the Dell BIOS to boot in legacy mode that's where it transfers control to.

Most operating systems leave that first sector alone no matter how the disk is partitioned. A GUID partitioned disk can still have DOS/Linux/whatever/Clover bootloader code stored there.

I've found on my 990s and a couple of Dell notebook that can't seem to boot in UEFI mode that using bios legacy mode with clover installed to the boot sector (MBR) of an otherwise normal GUID / EFI setup solves the problem.

YMMV

edit: I'm not saying start from scratch, run the clover or multibeast installer and tell it to install clover to the MBR. Then run it again doing the correct UEFI install. That should put clover in both locations, so no matter where the BIOS tries to go it finds clover.

Interesting. When I load clover those options to load in the MBR are greyed out. Is there a way to do this otherwise? Maybe reformat my EFI partition on the HD as MBR and install clover to it?

Try multibeast?

YMMV

Actually looking back on this, there is no MBR partition. Once you format the drive with GUID (required by High Sierra) there is no longer any MBR partition, and no way to create one that I can see.

Hi,

Thanks for the guide. I have a few questions

1. I am going to make Hackintosh with Dell 990 Tower. Will i be able to hackintosh it now?
2. How to make boot able usb for the first step STEP 1. Install OSX High Sierra?

Thanks

Does someone have the kext or efi for this dell optiplex 990 build to work please. I have one on the way

Does someone have the kext or efi for this dell optiplex 990 build to work please. I have one on the way
Just follow the guide and you should be fine. Only thing I believe not mentioned in the guide, was that I had to do was install the audio drivers.

Just follow the guide and you should be fine. Only thing I believe not mentioned in the guide, was that I had to do was install the audio drivers.
It's all good I put windows 10 on it and sold it for 350. I'm done with mac os it's a heap of warmed up poo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back