Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

Hi!

So I assembled the build and proceeded to steps one to four of @HackaShaq guide. Thanks again to him for his work :) The only thing I changed from his instructions is that I enabled internal graphics since I don't own a discreet GPU card at the moment.

My problem is that I cannot boot on my SSD MacOS install. I installed Multibeast right after installing HS and I used the settings Hackashaq provided. From what I understood, I should have been able to boot from SSD's HS installation partition after I hit the build/install button in Multibeast and rebooted, right?. But every time I try to boot from the SSD drive, either by unplugging the USB flash drive I used to install HS before turning on the computer or by selecting the SSD drive after hitting F12 at startup, I get the same message :

View media item 191460
I tried to revolve this problem by myself before asking you guys. I thought that since I was unable to boot from the SSD, maybe I misunderstood the guide, and that I needed to install Clover on the install partition after I booted from the flash drive. So I did that, but it did not work either. I still get the same error message every time I try to boot from the SSD.

Can anyone point me at the right direction, please?

Have you selected the correct SSDT in your BIOS it is usually named UEFI OS (<insert name of your SSD here>)?
181227014454.jpg

Last edited:
I have made all of the recommended changes. And, as you may have noticed, I am sending my EFI and the requested /L/E/ screenshot. Don't be alarmed at the un-obfuscated data. I will just change it later.View attachment 375034

Apologies if it makes a difference. but, I am now running 10.14.2 (inline update) I did the update on a lark last night because A) I have a full backup and B) I figured there was nothing to lose by trying it. and, C) others might like to know that the inline upgrade actually works. :headbang:

After all the changes and QUINTUPLE-checking the BIOS settings, enabling IGPU only gives a hard freeze on boot. (Apple Logo w/ full or partial progress bar)
BIOS CODE "D4" - Out of Resources

I reset BIOS and set the required values again... No change. :banghead:

I can only boot into this system with IGPU disabled. Everything I can think to check works with the exception of QL/Pv

If you can find the culprit. I would be grateful to say the least. I attempted to create a boot log. But, it wasn't in the EFI folder when I mounted it. I will try one more time before I turn in.

We must be on similar time zones based on the coms today.

Ken

Hi @HackinMax. Have massaged your EFI folder into shape, and have booted of it on my macOS 10.14.2 APFS UEFI backup drive. Changed a lot of things both in the EFI folders and in config.plist. Far to many to mention here, as I'd be here all day typing away! :cool::D

I have timed it from hitting enter on the Clover Menu to the desktop and it takes approximately 22-25 seconds, the same as my configuration on APFS. APFS is slower compared to HFS+ as it runs some SSD trim functions during the boot phase, so this time is normal. I think I said that my system takes 12 seconds, I was confused, this was on HFS+ was 12 seconds.:oops:

It is booting with my RX 580 and the UHD 630 iGPU running in 'connectionless' mode, driving my 3 displays, 2 x 4K Dell & 1 x HD. JPEG (.jpg) files are able to be previewed and quick looked. I also confirmed that QuickSync is working.

You may notice that I have removed all files in you 'Other' directory other than files absolutely necessary to help clover boot, in this case FakeSMC.kext. The best place for non-Apple kexts is in /Library/Extensions; this is what Apple and most of the developers on this and other forums recommend.

I have updated your version of Clover to the latest 'stable' r4813.

/Library/Extensions Directory

You have some files that need either deleting or updating in you /L/E directory, backup the files just in case:
  1. AppleALC.kext - update when you can
  2. AppleGB.kext - I think this was an old method of getting Intel ethernet going... Delete
  3. NullCPUPowerManagement.kext - No longer required on this motherboard... Delete
  4. Edit: I had a 50% chance of getting this right, and I got it wrong!
    USBInjectAll.kext - Is required as you are using the USB SSDT's I posted. This file is required in the discovery phase of creating the SSDT's and is needed afterwards if you are using the SSDT method. If you are using the USBPorts FB-Patcher method, then Delete it.
  5. WhateverGreen.kext & Lilu.kext - I suggest these are updated together as they rely on each other and regularly as the author is actively updating and bug fixing these ATM... Update
  6. Run the kernel cache commands in a terminal as super user:
Code:
sudo touch /Library/Extensions/
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo kextcache -I /

After rebooting you can check that these third party kexts are loading correctly by going into the System Information app, clicking and sorting by the 'Obtained From' column. You should see all your kexts being loaded like this:
System Information.png

To Test/Implement:

1. Make sure you have a backup plan! E.g have a UniBeast thumb drive that is known to boot. Things can go 'Pear Shaped'!
  2. To try out this new EFI folder, mount your EFI folder, and move (copy & rename) the EFI folder to another name in your EFI folder e.g "EFI" to "EFI.pre_jb007".
  3. Reboot
  4. At Clover Menu select F11. to clear your NVRAM, probably not necessary, but just in case I'd do it.
  5. Back at the Clover Menu, hit the space bar and select the 'Verbose...' option and also the 'Stop at kernel panic...' options, just in case you have a problem booting. Then up the menu to boot 'Using these options...'. Sorry I can't recall the exact names but you should be able to figure it out.
  6. Hopefully you should boot in 25 seconds or so and have all features working other than iMessages etc
  7. If all is well, then you will have to do your SMBIOS serials etc to get iMessages, hand-off, ... going.
Finally, I'm not an expert on everything in the Hackintosh world, and I do make mistakes or assumptions, so if you do find anything wrong or that needs updating, please let us know.

Also, could you delete the EFI folder download in your post, as I fear others might assume that it is 'correct' and perpetuate any mistakes contained therein etc. Maybe you could place an edit line pointing to this post?

I think that is all?!:think:

Edit: 2018.12.28 - Uploaded EFI.V2.zip that has a modified SSDT-UIAC-EC-18.3.aml file that enables all USB. One USB 3 port will not work, as this is a Mojave 15 port limitation. I've also uploaded this SSDT-UIAC-EC-18.3.aml separately to save you having to copy over the whole EFI folder.

Jim :geek:

Attachments

• EFI.v2.zip
    16.7 MB · Views: 86
  • SSDT-UIAC-EC-18.3.aml
    738 bytes · Views: 68
Last edited:
Hi @HackinMax. Have massaged your EFI folder into shape, and have booted of it on my macOS 10.14.2 APFS UEFI backup drive. Changed a lot of things both in the EFI folders and in config.plist. Far to many to mention here, as I'd be here all day typing away! :cool::D

I have timed it from hitting enter on the Clover Menu to the desktop and it takes approximately 22-25 seconds, the same as my configuration on APFS. APFS is slower compared to HFS+ as it runs some SSD trim functions during the boot phase, so this time is normal. I think I said that my system takes 12 seconds, I was confused, this was on HFS+ was 12 seconds.:oops:

It is booting with my RX 580 and the UHD 630 iGPU running in 'connectionless' mode, driving my 3 displays, 2 x 4K Dell & 1 x HD. JPEG (.jpg) files are able to be previewed and quick looked. I also confirmed that QuickSync is working.

You may notice that I have removed all files in you 'Other' directory other than files absolutely necessary to help clover boot, in this case FakeSMC.kext. The best place for non-Apple kexts is in /Library/Extensions; this is what Apple and most of the developers on this and other forums recommend.

I have updated your version of Clover to the latest 'stable' r4813.

Amazing sir! I can't wait to get home and try this out and to learn what exactly was wrong.
I did strugglle for a time, with an add-on dual gigabit NIC. There were a lot of things I tried. So, That was likely when things started going wrong for me. Not being a good "note-taker" I guess there were kexts that I did not know were unneeded.

Indeed, there is much I do not know. I will use this, not only to get it working, but to understand what NOT to do on the next build.

I will update as soon as I get home and update this.

Sincere Thanks!
Ken

Last edited:
Hi @HackinMax.

To Test/Implement:

1. Make sure you have a backup plan! E.g have a UniBeast thumb drive that is known to boot. Things can go 'Pear Shaped'!
  2. To try out this new EFI folder, mount your EFI folder, and move (copy & rename) the EFI folder to another name in your EFI folder e.g "EFI" to "EFI.pre_jb007".
  3. Reboot
  4. At Clover Menu select F11. to clear your NVRAM, probably not necessary, but just in case I'd do it.
  5. Back at the Clover Menu, hit the space bar and select the 'Verbose...' option and also the 'Stop at kernel panic...' options, just in case you have a problem booting. Then up the menu to boot 'Using these options...'. Sorry I can't recall the exact names but you should be able to figure it out.
  6. Hopefully you should boot in 25 seconds or so and have all features working other than iMessages etc
  7. If all is well, then you will have to do your SMBIOS serials etc to get iMessages, hand-off, ... going.
Finally, I'm not an expert on everything in the Hackintosh world, and I do make mistakes or assumptions, so if you do find anything wrong or that needs updating, please let us know.

Also, could you delete the EFI folder download in your post, as I fear others might assume that it is 'correct' and perpetuate any mistakes contained therein etc. Maybe you could place an edit line pointing to this post?

I think that is all?!:think:

Jim :geek:

@jb007

You are certainly looking like an expert right now. I followed your guide step-by-step and literally everything is working perfectly.
I have spent the last hour going over every feature-set and even AirDrop works... AirDrop NEVER works! Even on my MacActual 6,1 it never worked.

Handoff (which is something I've never used) is working. Pretty cool to pick up where you left off on another device.
I can't thank you enough for your patience and help. I will put this system in production tomorrow. But, for now, I will back it up and put my old bones in a restful position for a few hours.

Have you selected the correct SSDT in your BIOS it is usually named UEFI OS (<insert name of your SSD here>)?
View attachment 375178

Thank you Jim for your answer :)

Boot options.jpg

It seems that the SSD won't boot because there's no UEFI partition detected inside. I don't know what "P5" refers to (maybe sata port 5?) It's strange because I think I followed the guide pretty straightforwardly (except from enabling integrated graphics). As I said, I also tried to install Clover from within HS, using Clover Configurator.

Should I try to redo the whole process setting up a HS bootable flash drive / installing HS?

Otherwise, is there a way to make that install bootable?

I don't think that this is relevant but I'm using F1 Bios.

Thanks in advance for your kind help!

Attachments

• Boot options.jpg
    Boot options.jpg
    373.4 KB · Views: 44
@jb007

You are certainly looking like an expert right now. I followed your guide step-by-step and literally everything is working perfectly.
I have spent the last hour going over every feature-set and even AirDrop works... AirDrop NEVER works! Even on my MacActual 6,1 it never worked.

Handoff (which is something I've never used) is working. Pretty cool to pick up where you left off on another device.
I can't thank you enough for your patience and help. I will put this system in production tomorrow. But, for now, I will back it up and put my old bones in a restful position for a few hours.

Hi @HackinMax, thanks for the feedback. I stuffed up I think on the removal of the USBInjectAll.kext. This is needed if you are using the SSDT method. Put it back in the /L/E directory. I have edited the original post.

I've been really hammering my Hack, it has been 30C in my little office and have been doing many multi-tasking things all day... no complaints... just works.

Does sleep work for you? I think you said that you used some internal devices on the USB2 ports? Also power nap works on my system. Somewhere I read that power nap was a 'pipe dream' on a Hack, but hey it's working for me!

This old brain is very tired now!

Now to look at the Thunderbolt side of things!

Jim

Thank you Jim for your answer :)

View attachment 375248

It seems that the SSD won't boot because there's no UEFI partition detected inside. I don't know what "P5" refers to (maybe sata port 5?) It's strange because I think I followed the guide pretty straightforwardly (except from enabling integrated graphics). As I said, I also tried to install Clover from within HS, using Clover Configurator.

Should I try to redo the whole process setting up a HS bootable flash drive / installing HS?

Otherwise, is there a way to make that install bootable?

I don't think that this is relevant but I'm using F1 Bios.

Thanks in advance for your kind help!

Hi @HackintoshwithTB. Yes you just caught me before retiring for the night as it's just after midnight here in Australia.

Umm, Did you select the UEFI boot option in MultiBeast?
Screen Shot 2018-12-28 at 12.06.02 am.png

If not you could try booting in to macOS using Unibeast and run Multibeast again. Also select Clover UEFI Boot Mode.
Screen Shot 2018-12-28 at 12.06.02 am.png

Then run build and other items as per the Guide, and you should see the UEFI drive in the BIOS (hopefully).

Let us know how you go, I'll checkin in the morning. I think this should work, but my brain is hurting ATM!

Edit: And once you get it going update your BIOS to at least F6, but F11 is working good for me. Don't update by using the Gigabyte Windows app, do it the easier way and save the BIOS on to a FAT32 formate USB thumb drive and use the BIOS update feature. Things can go wrong under windows, just ask @jiffyslot!

Jim

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-28 at 12.08.07 am.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-28 at 12.08.07 am.png
    136.5 KB · Views: 53
Back