Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

1: When it was working, boot times were just over four minutes from Clover to Login screen
2: Yes. I have three EVO 970 M.2s installed. Two are APFS and one is NTFS
3: Once I figure out what happened and recover the bootloader to working condition, I will do this.

Thank you.
Wow that is to long. I’ll check in tomorrow to see how you are going, as I’m retiring for the evening as work starts at 7am in morning!

Ok. Boot from your UniBeast drive and either use MultiBeast to install just the minimum clover boot options.
Or download the latest Clover and install from that.

I’ve been caught by the Clover Configurator update also!

Jim
Morning @HackinMax. Nearly forgot. Once you have got it booted from your UniBeast, open up your root folder and you should find a EFI-Backups folder with all of your past revisions of clover. You can copy the last dated one into your EFI folder (rename your old one beforehand). You can see in mine I started at r4458 and r4741 was the last revision.
Screen Shot 2018-12-26 at 6.15.35 am.png
Jim

If you can't get either your jpg or boot times fixed, I could look at your EFI folder etc. If you can zip your whole EFI folder (make a copy first onto your desktop or other USB thumb drive just in case things go wrong) don't include your theme folders and remove your System Serial Numbers from your config.plist etc so prying eyes don't see them, don't remove the other details in your SMBIOS. I'll try and test your whole EFI on my system. Just in case you don't know, you can have multiple EFI folders, so you can rename them to e.g EFI.old, but obviously you need an EFI folder. Great for testing etc.
Jim

Good Morning! (Ohayo Gozaimasu)

I finally managed to get the boot loader back last night by using MultiBeast to install the old version (4631 I think) back on. Unless there is a serious downside, I won't be updating it again.

After all of that, I stripped my config.plist to bare bones, and rebuilt it using the 18,3 SMBIOS as the base. Rebooting each step of the way.
Boot time is reasonable now, less than 30 seconds. So, there is that. I left out something important in the USB mods. So, I will need to revisit that soon.

Main issue is: When I re-enable IGPU in Bios, the system will not boot past the black apple screen and a full progress bar. I left it there for over an hour. But, it never resolved. So, now I am pretty much back to just having no IGPU, QV, or Pv.
If I remove WG from the kexts, it boots. But, no QV/Pv.

I replicated your setup in Graphics and Devices except for ticking "ResetHDA" and Inject "11" in the Audio section. I am not showing the same CloverConfigurator screen you have for the PCI addressing. Must be a different version.

Later today, I will post a sanitized EFI folder if you would be so kind as to look and offer any suggestions. Your assistance is greatly appreciated in any event.

I wish I did not actually have a need for QV and Pv. But, this is to be a production machine once it's sorted out.

I am already sourcing parts for a Gigabyte Z370N mini that will go in my office. So, what I learn here will be immediately useful in that build as well - especially since it will be using the IGPU.

Good Morning! (Ohayo Gozaimasu)

I finally managed to get the boot loader back last night by using MultiBeast to install the old version (4631 I think) back on. Unless there is a serious downside, I won't be updating it again.

After all of that, I stripped my config.plist to bare bones, and rebuilt it using the 18,3 SMBIOS as the base. Rebooting each step of the way.
Boot time is reasonable now, less than 30 seconds. So, there is that. I left out something important in the USB mods. So, I will need to revisit that soon.

Main issue is: When I re-enable IGPU in Bios, the system will not boot past the black apple screen and a full progress bar. I left it there for over an hour. But, it never resolved. So, now I am pretty much back to just having no IGPU, QV, or Pv.
If I remove WG from the kexts, it boots. But, no QV/Pv.

I replicated your setup in Graphics and Devices except for ticking "ResetHDA" and Inject "11" in the Audio section. I am not showing the same CloverConfigurator screen you have for the PCI addressing. Must be a different version.

Later today, I will post a sanitized EFI folder if you would be so kind as to look and offer any suggestions. Your assistance is greatly appreciated in any event.

I wish I did not actually have a need for QV and Pv. But, this is to be a production machine once it's sorted out.

I am already sourcing parts for a Gigabyte Z370N mini that will go in my office. So, what I learn here will be immediately useful in that build as well - especially since it will be using the IGPU.

Hi @HackinMax.

The settings are in Clover Configurator, the Arbitrary and Properties are actually TAB's or Buttons... I don't like the way they are done as it's not obvious that you have to click them to change between Arbitray & Properties. See screens below.
The audio settings Devices/Properties tab are set to No and there is the PCiRoot & layout-id settings that do the same thing as the Inject 11 setting used in this build guide, it's just a different way to go about it... it's telling clover exactly where to find the audio on the PCI bus and to inject 0x0B (11 Decimal) as the layout-id. See below:

For your stall have you tried doing a NVRAM reset when at the clover boot menu... from memory its F11 (press F1 to get all the options and to check). Also have you done a kernel cache update whilst in macOS and have Whatevergreen & Lilu? If not do this:

You need to have WhateverGreen.kext and Lilu.kext in your /Library/Extensions directory. Use the latest ones from the @Acidanthera repositories as there has been updates on the above files in the last few days. Use KextBeast to load these from your desktop, or your favourite method, just make sure your kernel extensions cache is updated and there are no error's other than "Kext with invalid signatured" (someone at Apple can't spell!) warning messages. This is my results from a terminal session:

Code:
sudo touch /Library/Extensions/
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo kextcache -i /

Also can you in Finder do a listing of the files in your /Library/Extensions directory, but right click the header and select the version column so I get your version info on your files.

I'll look at your EFI if you need me to, but please back up as previously advised.:thumbup:
Edit: Added screen shots!
Screen Shot 2018-12-26 at 1.47.47 pm.png Screen Shot 2018-12-26 at 1.47.29 pm.png

Jim

Last edited:
Hi @HackinMax.

The settings are in Clover Configurator, the Arbitrary and Properties are actually TAB's or Buttons... I don't like the way they are done as it's not obvious that you have to click them to change between Arbitray & Properties. See screens below.
The audio settings Devices/Properties tab are set to No and there is the PCiRoot & layout-id settings that do the same thing as the Inject 11 setting used in this build guide, it's just a different way to go about it... it's telling clover exactly where to find the audio on the PCI bus and to inject 0x0B (11 Decimal) as the layout-id. See below:

For your stall have you tried doing a NVRAM reset when at the clover boot menu... from memory its F11 (press F1 to get all the options and to check). Also have you done a kernel cache update whilst in macOS and have Whatevergreen & Lilu? If not do this:

You need to have WhateverGreen.kext and Lilu.kext in your /Library/Extensions directory. Use the latest ones from the @Acidanthera repositories as there has been updates on the above files in the last few days. Use KextBeast to load these from your desktop, or your favourite method, just make sure your kernel extensions cache is updated and there are no error's other than "Kext with invalid signatured" (someone at Apple can't spell!) warning messages. This is my results from a terminal session:

Thank you for the detail. That helps a lot.

Ahhh! I see now. The Arbitrary and Properties are, indeed, not obvious... until you know what you are looking at.

No, I have not done the described NVRAM reset. This is the first I've heard of that. But, sounds promising as it is how similar problems are avoided on MacActuals (Will do when I get home tonight)

I update the kext cache any time I change the contents of the /L/E/ folder. (using touch and kextcache -i / at the CLI)
The latest WeG and Lilu in /L/E/ are installed. WhateverGreen has given me some issues with permissions when rebuilding. But, I solved that by moving the files via CLI; rather than just dropping them into the folder and authenticating.
Otherwise, nothing but the expected output when rebuilding.
As a side note: kextbeast does not work on this system. i.e. does not actually copy anything to the /L/E/ folder. Another mystery for later.

Also can you in Finder do a listing of the files in your /Library/Extensions directory, but right click the header and select the version column so I get your version info on your files.

I'll look at your EFI if you need me to, but please back up as previously advised.:thumbup:

That would be great. Another pair of eyes and, one actual brain on this would be appreciated. :lol:
Most of those files in the /L/E/ folder... I actually have no idea where they came from. I have completely forgotten how to trace dependencies on a *nix system. Been too long.

Thank You for your effort. Once I get home tonight, I will put these ideas to work and, upload those promised items.

Ken

Thank you for the detail. That helps a lot.

Ahhh! I see now. The Arbitrary and Properties are, indeed, not obvious... until you know what you are looking at.

No, I have not done the described NVRAM reset. This is the first I've heard of that. But, sounds promising as it is how similar problems are avoided on MacActuals (Will do when I get home tonight)

I update the kext cache any time I change the contents of the /L/E/ folder. (using touch and kextcache -i / at the CLI)
The latest WeG and Lilu in /L/E/ are installed. WhateverGreen has given me some issues with permissions when rebuilding. But, I solved that by moving the files via CLI; rather than just dropping them into the folder and authenticating.
Otherwise, nothing but the expected output when rebuilding.
As a side note: kextbeast does not work on this system. i.e. does not actually copy anything to the /L/E/ folder. Another mystery for later.

That would be great. Another pair of eyes and, one actual brain on this would be appreciated. :lol:
Most of those files in the /L/E/ folder... I actually have no idea where they came from. I have completely forgotten how to trace dependencies on a *nix system. Been too long.

Thank You for your effort. Once I get home tonight, I will put these ideas to work and, upload those promised items.

Ken
No problems, I'm home for the next three days (only work 16Hrs/PW). So have a lot of time. Check that you have these set in your config.plist....
Screen Shot 2018-12-26 at 4.16.35 pm.png

... Check that you have these set in your config.plist....

I have made all of the recommended changes. And, as you may have noticed, I am sending my EFI and the requested /L/E/ screenshot. Don't be alarmed at the un-obfuscated data. I will just change it later.View attachment 375034

Apologies if it makes a difference. but, I am now running 10.14.2 (inline update) I did the update on a lark last night because A) I have a full backup and B) I figured there was nothing to lose by trying it. and, C) others might like to know that the inline upgrade actually works. :headbang:

After all the changes and QUINTUPLE-checking the BIOS settings, enabling IGPU only gives a hard freeze on boot. (Apple Logo w/ full or partial progress bar)
BIOS CODE "D4" - Out of Resources

I reset BIOS and set the required values again... No change. :banghead:

I can only boot into this system with IGPU disabled. Everything I can think to check works with the exception of QL/Pv

If you can find the culprit. I would be grateful to say the least. I attempted to create a boot log. But, it wasn't in the EFI folder when I mounted it. I will try one more time before I turn in.

We must be on similar time zones based on the coms today.

Ken

[EDIT: Erroneous Attachments Deleted]

See this post instead for solution - [Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

Last edited:
I have made all of the recommended changes. And, as you may have noticed, I am sending my EFI and the requested /L/E/ screenshot. Don't be alarmed at the un-obfuscated data. I will just change it later.View attachment 375034

After all the changes and QUINTUPLE-checking the BIOS settings, enabling IGPU only gives a hard freeze on boot. (Apple Logo w/ full or partial progress bar)
BIOS CODE "D4" - Out of Resources

I reset BIOS and set the required values again... No change. :banghead:

I can only boot into this system with IGPU disabled. Everything I can think to check works with the exception of QL/Pv

If you can find the culprit. I would be grateful to say the least. I attempted to create a boot log. But, it wasn't in the EFI folder when I mounted it. I will try one more time before I turn in.

We must be on similar time zones based on the coms today.

Ken
Yes I’m 2hrs ahead of you I think.
I’ll look in the morning at it. Hopefully will get to the bottom of it!

Hi!

So I assembled the build and proceeded to steps one to four of @HackaShaq guide. Thanks again to him for his work :) The only thing I changed from his instructions is that I enabled internal graphics since I don't own a discreet GPU card at the moment.

My problem is that I cannot boot on my SSD MacOS install. I installed Multibeast right after installing HS and I used the settings Hackashaq provided. From what I understood, I should have been able to boot from SSD's HS installation partition after I hit the build/install button in Multibeast and rebooted, right?. But every time I try to boot from the SSD drive, either by unplugging the USB flash drive I used to install HS before turning on the computer or by selecting the SSD drive after hitting F12 at startup, I get the same message :

View media item 191460
I tried to revolve this problem by myself before asking you guys. I thought that since I was unable to boot from the SSD, maybe I misunderstood the guide, and that I needed to install Clover on the install partition after I booted from the flash drive. So I did that, but it did not work either. I still get the same error message every time I try to boot from the SSD.

Can anyone point me at the right direction, please?

Hi!

So I assembled the build and proceeded to steps one to four of @HackaShaq guide. Thanks again to him for his work :) The only thing I changed from his instructions is that I enabled internal graphics since I don't own a discreet GPU card at the moment.

My problem is that I cannot boot on my SSD MacOS install. I installed Multibeast right after installing HS and I used the settings Hackashaq provided. From what I understood, I should have been able to boot from SSD's HS installation partition after I hit the build/install button in Multibeast and rebooted, right?. But every time I try to boot from the SSD drive, either by unplugging the USB flash drive I used to install HS before turning on the computer or by selecting the SSD drive after hitting F12 at startup, I get the same message :

View media item 191460
I tried to revolve this problem by myself before asking you guys. I thought that since I was unable to boot from the SSD, maybe I misunderstood the guide, and that I needed to install Clover on the install partition after I booted from the flash drive. So I did that, but it did not work either. I still get the same error message every time I try to boot from the SSD.

Can anyone point me at the right direction, please?
You need to have your hardware profile filled out as per rules (the ones you agreed to when signing up here)
https://www.tonymacx86.com/account/personal-details

Back