Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

Hi @e-troc and others, sorry for the late reply, but work and Christmas has got in the way. Re: the missing USB port, this is I believe because macOS Mohave only supports a maximum of 15 ports. I have been able to replicate this and I think the solution is to remove one or two of the internal ports from the SSDT. My understanding is that every USB3 port (ones attached to the Intel chipsets) counts as two, and the USB2 ports as one.

In my use-case I use all of the internal USB2 ports for internal use; e.g., my 3 Corsair devices and my BT cards USB connection.

This is a good reason to get a powered USB3 hubs connected to the USB3.1 (red and USB-C) ports as they work fine and are not controlled and counted in the 15 port max that macOS supports. Still don't know why macOS has chosen this limit, as Windows 10 has no issues with them all, as I have stuck a USB thumb drive in all the ports and tested under Windows.

After the Christmas break, I'll update the Mini Guide to also include an optional SSDT for the missing USB3 port at the expense of the internal USB2 ports, as I assume a lot of people don't use all of the USB2 internal ports.

I think I have replied regarding the naming of my SSDT using 18,3... but it is a legal name and is being recognized during the boot. To confirm that the SSDT is being loaded you can press F2 at the Clover boot screen and it will create a boot log file in the EFI misc folder. You can view the details of this by using Clover Configurator and the boot log tab option (?).

Jim

Thanks Jim for all your hard work!

I also use the internal USB2 ports so I can live with 1 port being down. I will try the hub route.

Thank you again :)

Hi @jb007 -I've been testing different Thunderbolt patches that others have created on TM. So far, nothing works as far as hotswap goes. It's the same deal as before. Power the Thunderbolt unit up before the PC. If it's powered down on a working system, it can't be "recovered" without a restart of the computer. They say TB hotswap is the holy grail of the Hackintosh.
I’d like to get TB going on my system, trouble is I don’t have any TB devices ATM. I’d like to get an 10GBe ethernet device and eGPU and ditch my internal 10GB PCI card to make way for the TB card. I have the Alpine Ridge, but might look into getting the Titan card as I’ve heard it’s more compatible?

It’s frustrating that there is a limit on the number of PCI bus lanes in the Intel CPUs compared to the AMD Ryzen CPUs. Otherwise, I could use my 10GBe card in the x16 slot below my RX 580 without causing it to drop the it down to x8 speed.

Does anyone know of external 10GBe Ethernet TB3 adapters??

Last edited by a moderator:
I’d like to get TB going on my system, trouble is I don’t have any TB devices ATM. I’d like to get an 10GBe Ethernet device and eGPU and ditch my internal 10GB PCI card to make way for the TB card. I have the Alpine Ridge, but might look into getting the Titan card as I’ve heard it’s more compatible?

It’s frustrating that there is a limit on the number of PCI bus lanes in the Intel CPUs compared to the AMD Ryzen CPUs. Otherwise, I could use my 10GBe card in the x16 slot below my RX 580 without causing it to drop the it down to x8 speed.

Does anyone know of external 10GBe Ethernet TB3 adapters??

Hi @jb007 -Man I sure wish I could post some links that could jumpstart a Thunderbolt fix.

Today, I've looked around at Belden, Sonnet, etc., and I think you're covered for various available products if you're trying to go from TB3 to 10GBe Ethernet. I have found nothing that will allow a 10GBe Ethernet to Thunderbolt. My 2 cents? Keep the 10GBe card and build stuff around that. I think Thunderbolt is a dead end and I can't recommend it because I can't get my TB Apollo or BMD Multidock 2 back if I power it off then back on again. Unless I'm running Windows 10. It's a real hassle unless you want to leave your system on 24/7. If I were building everything all over again, I'd use 10GBe for everything and look to Audinate's website for solutions to almost everything with a single ethernet cable.

Other questions that perhaps only Google can answer are:

1. Does the 2017 13" MacBook Pro still route PCI-e lanes through the Platform Controller Hub (PCH)?

2. What are Glenn K. Lockwood's thoughts on Understanding I/O on the mid-2017 iMac?

I'm still using the Alpine Ridge card, so ask away. I'm using genuine Apple dongle-daptors and cables. It's amazing that Thunderbolt cables have firmware, yes? Anyway, LMK how I can help.

Last edited by a moderator:
On my 18,3 QL & PL work because I have setup the IGPU as 64MB and Max in the BIOS and use WhateverGreen in my /L/E and no settings enabled in config.plist for the IGPU.

[EDIT: MERRY CHRISTMAS! from Japan.]

I see in BIOS where to enable the IGPU. But, I do not see any settings for the 64MB and Max settings you mention.

[EDIT: The 64MB and MAX options appeared in a subsequent reboot. So, I set those as you suggested. No joy on jpg files yet.]

I do have WG in /L/E along with Lilu.kext. I have removed "Inject Intel" from the Graphics settings in Clover. However, still getting VERY long startup time and no joy for QL and Pv.

I really like having the USB ports operate as they do with your SSDT and kext patches. So, if there is a chance I can get "jpg" files to open in preview, then I can live with the rest for now.

To be clear, QL and Pv both work with png, psd, pdf, and gif extensions... But, NOT with "jpg" extensions. Pv 'sometimes' works with "JPEG" extensions. But, Pv still hangs when trying to open these.
I have no understanding for why this would be the case. I do work extensively with jpg files. And, never realized how much I rely on QV and Pv. Kinda gives me more appreciation for these little features that we don't think much about until they are broken.

Last edited:
Hi @jb007 -Man I sure wish I could post some links that could jumpstart a Thunderbolt fix.

Today, I've looked around at Belden, Sonnet, etc., and I think you're covered for various available products if you're trying to go from TB3 to 10GBe Ethernet. I have found nothing that will allow a 10GBe Ethernet to Thunderbolt. My 2 cents? Keep the 10GBe card and build stuff around that. I think Thunderbolt is a dead end and I can't recommend it because I can't get my TB Apollo or BMD Multidock 2 back if I power it off then back on again. Unless I'm running Windows 10. It's a real hassle unless you want to leave your system on 24/7. If I were building everything all over again, I'd use 10GBe for everything and look to Audinate's website for solutions to almost everything with a single ethernet cable.

Other questions that perhaps only Google can answer are:

1. Does the 2017 13" MacBook Pro still route PCI-e lanes through the Platform Controller Hub (PCH)?

2. What are Glenn K. Lockwood's thoughts on Understanding I/O on the mid-2017 iMac?

I'm still using the Alpine Ridge card, so ask away. I'm using genuine Apple dongle-daptors and cables. It's amazing that Thunderbolt cables have firmware, yes? Anyway, LMK how I can help.

Thanks @jiffyslot and Merry Christmas to you... it's Christmas Day here in Oz and I've just opened my first beer for the day.

Yes I wan't to go TB3 --> 10GBe, as I have a NAS which I have installed a 10GBe card.

Looking at the Sonnet Solo10G might do the trick for me... so expensive here in Oz as our $ is very low against the "green back" ATM.

I see in BIOS where to enable the IGPU. But, I do not see any settings for the 64MB and Max settings you mention. I do have WG in /L/E along with Lilu.kext. I have removed "Inject Intel" from the Graphics settings in Clover. However, still getting VERY long startup time and no joy for QL and Pv.

I really like having the USB ports operate as they do with your SSDT and kext patches. So, if there is a chance I can get "jpg" files to open in preview, then I can live with the rest for now.

To be clear, QL and Pv both work with png, psd, pdf, and gif extensions... But, NOT with "jpg" extensions. Pv 'sometimes' works with "JPEG" extensions. But, Pv still hangs when trying to open these.
I have no understanding for why this would be the case. I do work extensively with jpg files. And, never realized how much I rely on QV and Pv. Kinda gives me more appreciation for these little features that we don't think much about until they are broken.

Hi @HackinMax and others wanting to get QuickSync and jpg file preview working.

For the iGPU to work with Intel QuickSync & ".jpg" preview files this is what I have done assuming that you are using your RX 580 as the primary video card and your iGPU as headless i.e. no display connected to it and you are using 18,3 SMBIOS etc:
  1. In the BIOS in the Peripherals tab, make sure your "Initial Display Output" is set to "PCIe 1 Slot" (This is your RX 580 or discreet GPU card).
    181225014405.png
  2. In the "Chipset tab", set your "Internal Graphics" to "Enabled". If this has not been previously enabled, then reboot, and then come back into this setting and then you should see "DVMT Pre-Allocated", set this to "64M" and set "DVMT Total Gfx Mem" to "MAX".
    181225014347.png
  3. In your Clover EFI config.plist this is what you should have in the "Graphics" section... nothing!
    Screen Shot 2018-12-25 at 1.09.45 pm.png
    and in the "Devices/Fake ID" section make sure you have nothing in the ID boxes:
    Screen Shot 2018-12-25 at 1.13.49 pm.png
    Note: I use "Devices/Properties" area and the "Audio/Inject" to load the Audio for this motherboard. BTW, the "Arbitrary" tab is blank.
  4. You need to have WhateverGreen.kext and Lilu.kext in your /Library/Extensions directory. Use the latest ones from the @Acidanthera repositories as there has been updates on the above files in the last few days. Use KextBeast to load these from your desktop, or your favourite method, just make sure your kernel extensions cache is updated and there are no error's other than "Kext with invalid signatured" (someone at Apple can't spell!) warning messages. This is my results from a terminal session:
    Code:
    jb@Gigantor:/Library/Extensions$ sudo touch /Library/Extensions/
    jb@Gigantor:/Library/Extensions$ sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/
    jb@Gigantor:/Library/Extensions$ sudo kextcache -i /
    / locked; waiting for lock.
    Lock acquired; proceeding.
    Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fa2d8932c10 [0x7fff9511f8f0]> { URL = "FakeSMC.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "org.netkas.driver.FakeSMC" }
    Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fa2d892e190 [0x7fff9511f8f0]> { URL = "FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "org.hwsensors.driver.CPUSensors" }
    Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fa2d892d5f0 [0x7fff9511f8f0]> { URL = "FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "org.hwsensors.driver.GPUSensors" }
    Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fa2d891d500 [0x7fff9511f8f0]> { URL = "FakeSMC_ACPISensors.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "org.hwsensors.driver.ACPISensors" }
    Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fa2d54e34a0 [0x7fff9511f8f0]> { URL = "WhateverGreen.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "as.vit9696.WhateverGreen" }
    Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fa2d8807bb0 [0x7fff9511f8f0]> { URL = "Lilu.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "as.vit9696.Lilu" }
    Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fa2d54f0340 [0x7fff9511f8f0]> { URL = "IntelMausiEthernet.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.insanelymac.IntelMausiEthernet" }
    Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fa2d5485580 [0x7fff9511f8f0]> { URL = "FakeSMC_LPCSensors.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "org.hwsensors.driver.LPCSensors" }
    Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fa2d5498b70 [0x7fff9511f8f0]> { URL = "AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.insanelymac.AtherosE2200Ethernet" }
    Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fa2d8812f40 [0x7fff9511f8f0]> { URL = "AppleALC.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "as.vit9696.AppleALC" }
    Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7fa2d88105e0 [0x7fff9511f8f0]> { URL = "FakeSMC_SMMSensors.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "org.hwsensors.driver.SMMSensors" }
    KernelCache ID: F7D3D55FCB9935ED80287D14BD911850
    Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7f972e6879a0 [0x7fff9511f8f0]> { URL = "Lilu.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "as.vit9696.Lilu" }
    Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7f972e6910a0 [0x7fff9511f8f0]> { URL = "FakeSMC_SMMSensors.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "org.hwsensors.driver.SMMSensors" }
    Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7f972e68eac0 [0x7fff9511f8f0]> { URL = "AppleALC.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "as.vit9696.AppleALC" }
    Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7f972e6c8220 [0x7fff9511f8f0]> { URL = "AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.insanelymac.AtherosE2200Ethernet" }
    Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7f9731302ca0 [0x7fff9511f8f0]> { URL = "FakeSMC_LPCSensors.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "org.hwsensors.driver.LPCSensors" }
    Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7f973134c210 [0x7fff9511f8f0]> { URL = "IntelMausiEthernet.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.insanelymac.IntelMausiEthernet" }
    Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7f9731355d10 [0x7fff9511f8f0]> { URL = "WhateverGreen.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "as.vit9696.WhateverGreen" }
    Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7f973138ba50 [0x7fff9511f8f0]> { URL = "FakeSMC_ACPISensors.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "org.hwsensors.driver.ACPISensors" }
    Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7f9731399ee0 [0x7fff9511f8f0]> { URL = "FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "org.hwsensors.driver.GPUSensors" }
    Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7f973139c270 [0x7fff9511f8f0]> { URL = "FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "org.hwsensors.driver.CPUSensors" }
    Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7f97313a0cf0 [0x7fff9511f8f0]> { URL = "FakeSMC.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "org.netkas.driver.FakeSMC" }
    jb@Gigantor:/Library/Extensions$
  5. Reboot and check that you can preview and quick look jpg files:
    Preview.jpg Quick Look.jpg
Enjoy!
Jim

[EDIT: MERRY CHRISTMAS! from Japan.]

I see in BIOS where to enable the IGPU. But, I do not see any settings for the 64MB and Max settings you mention.

[EDIT: The 64MB and MAX options appeared in a subsequent reboot. So, I set those as you suggested. No joy on jpg files yet.]

I do have WG in /L/E along with Lilu.kext. I have removed "Inject Intel" from the Graphics settings in Clover. However, still getting VERY long startup time and no joy for QL and Pv.

Konnichiwa @HackinMax... I learnt Japanese in 1965 when living in Malaysia of all places, but that's about it for my recall of Japanese. I hope the mods don't censor this because I said "Hello" in Japanese. I posted after you updated your post, so have a look at my post first.

1. How long are your boot times?
  2. Are you using APFS? If so APFS does take longer to boot, but on my system using M.2 SSD's and APFS it takes around 12 seconds.
  3. If you can't get either your jpg or boot times fixed, I could look at your EFI folder etc. If you can zip your whole EFI folder (make a copy first onto your desktop or other USB thumb drive just in case things go wrong) don't include your theme folders and remove your System Serial Numbers from your config.plist etc so prying eyes don't see them, don't remove the other details in your SMBIOS. I'll try and test your whole EFI on my system. Just in case you don't know, you can have multiple EFI folders, so you can rename them to e.g EFI.old, but obviously you need an EFI folder. Great for testing etc.
Jim

Konnichiwa @HackinMax... I learnt Japanese in 1965 when living in Malaysia of all places, but that's about it for my recall of Japanese. I hope the mods don't censor this because I said "Hello" in Japanese. I posted after you updated your post, so have a look at my post first.

2. Are you using APFS? If so APFS does take longer to boot, but on my system using M.2 SSD's and APFS it takes around 12 seconds.
  3. If you can't get either your jpg or boot times fixed, I could look at your EFI folder etc. If you can zip your whole EFI folder (make a copy first onto your desktop or other USB thumb drive just in case things go wrong) don't include your theme folders and remove your System Serial Numbers from your config.plist etc so prying eyes don't see them, don't remove the other details in your SMBIOS. I'll try and test your whole EFI on my system. Just in case you don't know, you can have multiple EFI folders, so you can rename them to e.g EFI.old, but obviously you need an EFI folder. Great for testing etc.
Jim

Thank you for all the information. And, Konnichiwa to you as well.

I have painted myself into a corner right now. I did the necessary work to convert everything to MacPro 6,1. I tested every configuration and removed the DSDT entries and some unneeded kexts.

I swear to you that for FIVE minutes everything was working perfectly, QL, Pv and, even the USB ports were doing well with your SSDT patches reporting a whopping 2100ma of charging current. One dead USB port was 'acceptable losses'.

Once all of that was working perfectly, I decided "ONE MORE thing" needed to be done before I cloned the drive to the backup SSD... Clover needed an update. So, from Configurator, I executed that upgrade and, rebooted... It BRICKED everything. I cannot boot no matter how hard I beg.

So, for now, I am looking for a way to fix clover so I can recover where I was. I assume booting from the USB stick is part of that process. But, never had to do it before. So, into new territory I go.

Especially helpful is the hint about making backup EFI directories. I should have thought of that <facepalm>

I will get back to this as soon as I am live again.

Arigatou Gozaimasu!

Konnichiwa @HackinMax...
Jim

1: When it was working, boot times were just over four minutes from Clover to Login screen
2: Yes. I have three EVO 970 M.2s installed. Two are APFS and one is NTFS
3: Once I figure out what happened and recover the bootloader to working condition, I will do this.

Thank you.

Thank you for all the information. And, Konnichiwa to you as well.

I have painted myself into a corner right now. I did the necessary work to convert everything to MacPro 6,1. I tested every configuration and removed the DSDT entries and some unneeded kexts.

I swear to you that for FIVE minutes everything was working perfectly, QL, Pv and, even the USB ports were doing well with your SSDT patches reporting a whopping 2100ma of charging current. One dead USB port was 'acceptable losses'.

Once all of that was working perfectly, I decided "ONE MORE thing" needed to be done before I cloned the drive to the backup SSD... Clover needed an update. So, from Configurator, I executed that upgrade and, rebooted... It BRICKED everything. I cannot boot no matter how hard I beg.

So, for now, I am looking for a way to fix clover so I can recover where I was. I assume booting from the USB stick is part of that process. But, never had to do it before. So, into new territory I go.

Especially helpful is the hint about making backup EFI directories. I should have thought of that <facepalm>

I will get back to this as soon as I am live again.

Arigatou Gozaimasu!

Ok. Boot from your UniBeast drive and either use MultiBeast to install just the minimum clover boot options.
Or download the latest Clover and install from that.

I’ve been caught by the cClover Configurator update also!

Jim

Back