Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

Hi Ken, just had a quick look at the link to Pavo whilst in Manjaro Linux mucking around with my Thunderbolt 3 Alpine Ridge card.It's working with a USB dock and USB thumb drives, but will have to wait to later next week to get a OWC TB3 to 10Gbe adapter.

What is niggling me, is my Sapphire RX 580 Nitro++ 8GB card has 2 x DP, 2 x HDMI and 1 DVI. I had it working this morning with 3 screens, 1 x DP, 2 x HDMI and had no issues?

Doesn't look that hard (famous last words!), to do the patch... I'll look into it further hopefully tomorrow, but I'll wait to see what your feedback is on my previous post.

Jim

Jim,

On that topic:

Regarding the darkwake=8 --> darkwake=0 change; It did not seem to make any change in the behaviour of the HDMI ports. SysInfo will alternately show one monitor connected. Yet, on the next boot, will show two monitors connected. But, in neither case do both monitors light up... And, sometimes, the one that lights up is not the primary display - making it impossible to log in... until I switch the connections.:ch:<-->:ch:

I'm putting everything back to where it was when I started tonight and, putting it to bed. I have only this ONE issue to clear up. But, tomorrow is another day.:angel:

Thank You for the support. It appears I need to learn "Atom" and video bios patching procedures. o_O

I just got through running the USB update through the mill. All ports charge my iPhone. I cannot find a "dead" USB port.
And, all ports report the following data when charging.

USB2 on front panel report (Shown as 4 port USB2.0 Hub on USB3.0 BUS in System Info)
Charging iPhone 7
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 500
Extra Operating Current (mA): 0
Sleep current (mA): 500

USB3 Front Panel and Rear Panel Report;
Charging iPhone7
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 500
Extra Operating Current (mA): 1600
Sleep current (mA): 2100

Curiously, ALL rear ports report as USB3.0. The two closest to the ethernet ports show as USB3.0 BUS on a BRCM20702 Hub. It just looks weird to me. But, it is probably not an issue.
I cannot determine any USB3.1 connectivity. (I don't currently have a USB-C device at this location for that port. And, none of the other connectors show up as USB3.1)
System Info shows TWO USB3.1 BUS entries. But, nothing appears as connected to them from any external ports.

In an attempt to be helpful and complete, I have connected an active device to each and every external USB port available. As you can see, all of them are active. (good news?) The attached System Info pics will help you to confirm if everything is working as intended. Let me know if any other information might be helpful.

KenView attachment 375417 View attachment 375418
Looks good. The Red and USB-C ports are not controlled by the Intel chips and are not counted in the 15 port limit. They are USB 3.1 Gen II which are rated for 10Gb/sec. confusingly the USB 3.0 ports are now referred to as USB 3.1 Gen I, which is just a rename of USB 3.0, they run at 5Gb/sec. I don’t think the 10Gb ports run at that speed on our Hacks. I could be wrong.
I have purchased a cable that takes the extra 10Gb port from the Mobo to a rear header so that I can have three ports.
You can buy adapters that adapt from the USB-C to USB A so you can use these ports with existing USB A cables into the type C ports.

Jim,

On that topic:

Regarding the darkwake=8 --> darkwake=0 change; It did not seem to make any change in the behaviour of the HDMI ports. SysInfo will alternately show one monitor connected. Yet, on the next boot, will show two monitors connected. But, in neither case do both monitors light up... And, sometimes, the one that lights up is not the primary display - making it impossible to log in... until I switch the connections.:ch:<-->:ch:

I'm putting everything back to where it was when I started tonight and, putting it to bed. I have only this ONE issue to clear up. But, tomorrow is another day.:angel:

Thank You for the support. It appears I need to learn "Atom" and video bios patching procedures. o_O
Does your RX 580 have 2 X DP, 2 x HDMI and 1 x DVI? I.e 5 ports?

Hi!

I'm still encountering difficulties to boot from my SSD macOS install.

I reinstalled macOS on another SSD (I think I need a Windows computer with Diskpart to erase the faulty EFI partition on my other SSD, because I'm unable to do it in Disk Utility, even when booting from recovery partition).

The problem now is that even though my motherboard lets me choose an "UEFI OS Samsung, etc." the computer automatically restarts just before the loading bar is complete.... Clover loads without any problems but it fails to boot from the SSD every time I choose "Boot macOS from High Sierra" on HFS.

Any ideas?

loading.jpg

Does your RX 580 have 2 X DP, 2 x HDMI and 1 x DVI? I.e 5 ports?

Yes, exactly. The system BIOS seems to recognize it as ELLESMERE. But, I have never seen a FB definition for that. ORINOCO is the closest fit I can find.

Hi!

I'm still encountering difficulties to boot from my SSD macOS install.

I reinstalled macOS on another SSD (I think I need a Windows computer with Diskpart to erase the faulty EFI partition on my other SSD, because I'm unable to do it in Disk Utility, even when booting from recovery partition).

The problem now is that even though my motherboard lets me choose an "UEFI OS Samsung, etc." the computer automatically restarts just before the loading bar is complete.... Clover loads without any problems but it fails to boot from the SSD every time I choose "Boot macOS from High Sierra" on HFS.

Any ideas?

View attachment 375469

Ok I found a solution. I'm posting it here because it might help some future users of this build who choose not to buy a discreet GPU (or are planning to buy it later). It's strange because I thought someone on this thread had succeeded with this build without using a GPU, so I assumed they would have reported this problem and the very easy fix to it.

After checking what was happening with verbose mode, I saw it was the iGFX whose firmware didn't load and after 40 failed attempts caused the computer to restart. Adding -disablegfxfirmware as a boot argument in Clover boot options revolves my boot problem. But it is not a permanent fix, as I would have to write this argument each time I boot.

I think I have to add this boot argument into my config.plist file. But I'm unable to access this file from Clover Configurator. As a matter of fact, I can't event mount my EFI Partition from it although it is detected.

Stupid question: when you click on "mount partition" right to the EFI partition in Clover Configurator, this partition should be accessible in the finder like any other partition, right?

Edit : this really was a stupid question. I could mount the EFI partition with EFI mounter. Checked -disablegfxfirmware, rebooted, and my problem disappeared!

Last edited:
Ok I found a solution. I'm posting it here because it might help some future users of this build who choose not to buy a discreet GPU (or are planning to buy it later). It's strange because I thought someone on this thread had succeeded with this build without using a GPU, so I assumed they would have reported this problem and the very easy fix to it.

After checking what was happening with verbose mode, I saw it was the iGFX whose firmware didn't load and after 40 failed attempts caused the computer to restart. Adding -disablegfxfirmware as a boot argument in Clover boot options revolves my boot problem. But it is not a permanent fix, as I would have to write this argument each time I boot.

I think I have to add this boot argument into my config.plist file. But I'm unable to access this file from Clover Configurator. As a matter of fact, I can't event mount my EFI Partition from it although it is detected.

Stupid question: when you click on "mount partition" right to the EFI partition in Clover Configurator, this partition should be accessible in the finder like any other partition, right?

Edit : this really was a stupid question. I could mount the EFI partition with EFI mounter. Checked -disablegfxfirmware, rebooted, and my problem disappeared!

I'm running the same config you are with the iGPU. However I Didn't experience the firmware issue you have. Unfortunately I will not be in front of my hackintosh for some days, so I can't upload my efi folder for you. However there is a post some pages back, where @jb007 provided the nearly exact same efi folder i use right now.

Edit: I found the post, here you go [Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

Last edited:
I'm running the same config you are with the iGPU. However I Didn't experience the firmware issue you have. Unfortunately I will not be in front of my hackintosh for some days, so I can't upload my efi folder for you. However there is a post some pages back, where @jb007 provided the nearly exact same efi folder i use right now.

Edit: I found the post, here you go [Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

Thank you (and Jim again) for your help! I'll try with this EFI.

Edit: I just tested it and it works indeed. I'm wondering though: do I still need to install USBInjectAll / AppleALC
/ Lilu kexts? I suppose I do.

Last edited:
Hi all!

At first, let me say a big thank's to topicaster, according this guide i built my first hack without big problems. This machine replaces my old MBPro mid 2012 to use with FCP X and workflow got easier and more comfortable.

But here is few things disappointing me, may be someone helps...

1. I'm starting from Mojave 14.0. IGPU was enabled, airplay works, all fine. Here is some FCP X test results:

- 17 min H.264 1080p project with some titles, color grading and effects (3:30 rendering and 11:45 sharing) IGPU disabled.
- same project, cache cleaned (8:50 rendering and 13:45 sharing) IGPU enabled.

Looks like FCP X "forgot" about my RX580 when IGPU enabled. But, according test results IGPU don't do anything to hardware encode H.264, that's slower than Radeon. It is way to make GPU's work together with hardware H.264 encoding? Surprisingly, my old MBPro with Geforce 650M do this job in 10:50 for rendering and same 11:45 for sharing. Hack have about 3Х time faster in rendering, but no improvement in sharing, thats sad.

2. After updating to Mojave 14.2 IGPU stops working, airplay disappears and FCP X hangs on starting. Not a big deal, just disable IGPU from BIOS and all working again, except airplay. But, may be there is a way to make all properly, with airplay and hardware H.264 encoding/decoding?

3. Passwords tab in Safari shows me a spin ball about 10 seconds long every time, then works great. Not a big deal too, but annoying sometimes.

This is my first hack and i'm hope help of community let me solve these problem's.

Thanks to all. Marry Christmas and Happy new year!

At first, let me say a big thank's to topicaster, according this guide i built my first hack
No idea who you are referring to. Do you mean HackaShaq ?

Screen Shot 2.jpg

Back