Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

Hi @HackintoshwithTB. Yes you just caught me before retiring for the night as it's just after midnight here in Australia.

Umm, Did you select the UEFI boot option in MultiBeast?
View attachment 375250
If not you could try booting in to macOS using Unibeast and run Multibeast again. Also select Clover UEFI Boot Mode.
View attachment 375250
Then run build and other items as per the Guide, and you should see the UEFI drive in the BIOS (hopefully).

Let us know how you go, I'll checkin in the morning. I think this should work, but my brain is hurting ATM!

Edit: And once you get it going update your BIOS to at least F6, but F11 is working good for me. Don't update by using the Gigabyte Windows app, do it the easier way and save the BIOS on to a FAT32 formate USB thumb drive and use the BIOS update feature. Things can go wrong under windows, just ask @jiffyslot!

Jim

Ahah I remember @jiffyslot's mishap updating his BIOS under windows! (I read the whole thread lol). Thanks to him that's a problem I won't have to solve...
I already checked twice if I had the right settings in MultiBeast, but I'll do it again. If that doesn't work, I'm considering starting from scratch, and using a back panel USB port to install this time. (I carelessly used a front panel port, even though I knew they can be buggy.)

I take good note of you BIOS recommendations and wish you a good night!

Last edited:
Hi @HackinMax, thanks for the feedback. I stuffed up I think on the removal of the USBInjectAll.kext. This is needed if you are using the SSDT method. Put it back in the /L/E directory. I have edited the original post.

I've been really hammering my Hack, it has been 30C in my little office and have been doing many multi-tasking things all day... no complaints... just works.

Does sleep work for you? I think you said that you used some internal devices on the USB2 ports? Also power nap works on my system. Somewhere I read that power nap was a 'pipe dream' on a Hack, but hey it's working for me!

This old brain is very tired now!

Now to look at the Thunderbolt side of things!

Jim

Yes! I look forward to putting this one to work too. They are "Fantastic Beasts" (Sorry. I have a teenager)

And... That's why the USB reporting looked different. I have replaced that USBInjectAll into /L/E/ and updated cache. Thanks for remediating that for me.

Sleep seems to be working fine - both manual and timed. I walked away and let it doze for a while. It woke right up with a keystroke. If I note any issues with sleep or power nap, I will chime in with a report.

In my ignorance of the status quo, I had Power Nap enabled from the get-go. I'll check it in the morning and let you know if PowerNap allows it to back up to my NAS TimeMachine while I'm sleeping.

A side note that you may have already seen in another thread is that my HDMI ports lit up thanks to your assistance. So, that's two - NO! Three problems solved in one guide. [EDIT: Oops! Spoke too soon re: the HDMI ports.]

Final note: I was not even aware that this board had a Thunderbolt Header. I just checked the manual. And, indeed it does! So, yeeeeaah! That Alpine TB3 card in my cart is looking more attractive now as I can certainly use it on one of these builds. (I'll be doing two more identical to this one over the next week or two.)

Cheers!
Ken

Last edited:
Hi @HackintoshwithTB. Yes you just caught me before retiring for the night as it's just after midnight here in Australia.

Umm, Did you select the UEFI boot option in MultiBeast?
View attachment 375250
If not you could try booting in to macOS using Unibeast and run Multibeast again. Also select Clover UEFI Boot Mode.
View attachment 375250
Then run build and other items as per the Guide, and you should see the UEFI drive in the BIOS (hopefully).

Let us know how you go, I'll checkin in the morning. I think this should work, but my brain is hurting ATM!

Edit: And once you get it going update your BIOS to at least F6, but F11 is working good for me. Don't update by using the Gigabyte Windows app, do it the easier way and save the BIOS on to a FAT32 formate USB thumb drive and use the BIOS update feature. Things can go wrong under windows, just ask @jiffyslot!

Jim

Ok so as I thought, resetting MultiBeast didn't change anything. I tried to redo the whole thing, erasing the install flash drive and setting it again, only to realize that it wasn't recognized anymore by the motherboard. In fact, it seemed that my bios was "locked" with the previous state of the flash drive, and wasn't recognizing the new one. I pushed to Clear CMOS button and my flash drive was now recognized at startup. My SSD was also recognized as an UEFI bootable drive, but the Clover install I did in HS using Clover Configurator made it unable to boot completely (It automatically restarted at the end of the loading bar.)

I'm currently erasing my HS install booting from the recovery partition to restart with a clean install. I'm curious to know if anyone had this kind of "locked" bios issue? Maybe it has to do with BIOS profiles. I saved my setting as a profile at some point, so maybe it's that?

Ok so as I thought, resetting MultiBeast didn't change anything. I tried to redo the whole thing, erasing the install flash drive and setting it again, only to realize that it wasn't recognized anymore by the motherboard. In fact, it seemed that my bios was "locked" with the previous state of the flash drive, and wasn't recognizing the new one. I pushed to Clear CMOS button and my flash drive was now recognized at startup. My SSD was also recognized as an UEFI bootable drive, but the Clover install I did in HS using Clover Configurator made it unable to boot completely (It automatically restarted at the end of the loading bar.)

I'm currently erasing my HS install booting from the recovery partition to restart with a clean install. I'm curious to know if anyone had this kind of "locked" bios issue? Maybe it has to do with BIOS profiles. I saved my setting as a profile at some point, so maybe it's that?
Hi @HackintoshwithTB.
I’d update your BIOS before going to far. It’s just a hunch but my previous motherboard used to have a ‘limit’ on the number of UEFI drives that it recognised. Once it got past that limit it would not let me add or delete them from the list.
I’m not saying this is your problem, but the F1 BIOS is very old, and there have been 10 revisions since then. GB don’t tell you all the bugs that they have fixed in each revision and also newer CPU microcode is included in the revisions.
BIOS profiles are revision dependent ie they will only work and import with the version they were created with.
Let us know how you go.

Does sleep work for you? I think you said that you used some internal devices on the USB2 ports? Also power nap works on my system. Somewhere I read that power nap was a 'pipe dream' on a Hack, but hey it's working for me!

Jim

I promised to report back if there were any sleep issues. And, sure enough this morning when I woke it up, one monitor refused to respond. (HDMI)
I had left both monitors connected to the HDMI ports of the RX580 as this is the intended use.

This morning, no matter what I try, one of the HDMI ports will not work. Actually, It looks like the system THINKS it is displaying properly as "Displays" in SP shows two configuration boxes and the "Arrangement" window shows two monitors connected. However. Only one monitor is lit up.

I rebooted to no avail. Something is "stuck" now that wasn't last night when I retired.

Hi @HackinMax. Mmmm I have two DP & 1 HDMI displays. Sometimes my Dell P2415Q monitors take a long time to wake up or exhibit similar behaviour as to your issue.

I have found that I have to completely unplug it from the power, cycling the power button on the monitor does not work.

I'll see if I can emulated this problem by using the Displays in HDMI rather than the Display Ports.

I don't have an answer on this ATM, but will hunt around and see if I can find anything.

Also in the config.plist I posted in the EFI folder (that I will update today) I have forgotten to enable 'FixShutdown' in the ACPI section. Reports in this forum suggest that it's turned on as some users have reported that without it some USB devices are not being powered down at shutdown.

Also since I'm getting ready to see if I can get my GB TB3 card going, it is also suggested that this also be enabled.

Jim
Edit: Grammar

Last edited:
I promised to report back if there were any sleep issues. And, sure enough this morning when I woke it up, one monitor refused to respond. (HDMI)
I had left both monitors connected to the HDMI ports of the RX580 as this is the intended use.

This morning, no matter what I try, one of the HDMI ports will not work. Actually, It looks like the system THINKS it is displaying properly as "Displays" in SP shows two configuration boxes and the "Arrangement" window shows two monitors connected. However. Only one monitor is lit up.

I rebooted to no avail. Something is "stuck" now that wasn't last night when I retired.
Hi @HackinMax, I've uploaded a EFI.V2.zip in this post and the SSDT separately so you don't have to copy over the whole EFI folder again.

Could you try it out, but note that the one USB3 port will not work due to the 15 port limitation.

I also hunted around regarding the HDMI Black display issue. If the above doesn't work for you, you could try changing in the config.plist Boot/Arguments darkwake=8 to darkwake=0.

There is a lot of mentions about 'black' screens, but some of it very old, but USB and darkwake seem to come up often, hence my suggestion.

I could not replicate the issue on my system though.

Edit: Do you have any permanent USB devices attached to any of your USB2 headers on the mobo? These are the USB2 headers that are to the left of the POST LEDs on the bottom of the mobo.

Jim

Hi @HackinMax, I've uploaded a EFI.V2.zip in this post and the SSDT separately so you don't have to copy over the whole EFI folder again.

Could you try it out, but note that the one USB3 port will not work due to the 15 port limitation.

I also hunted around regarding the HDMI Black display issue. If the above doesn't work for you, you could try changing in the config.plist Boot/Arguments darkwake=8 to darkwake=0.

There is a lot of mentions about 'black' screens, but some of it very old, but USB and darkwake seem to come up often, hence my suggestion.

I could not replicate the issue on my system though.

Edit: Do you have any permanent USB devices attached to any of your USB2 headers on the mobo? These are the USB2 headers that are to the left of the POST LEDs on the bottom of the mobo.

Jim

Jim,

Thanks for the followup. I have been reading those same posts all day during the few times I was able to get some time.
It seems that most of the dark-HDMI issues are encountered on HS or earlier. I guess we are "early adopters" for Mojave (AKA the guinea pigs):lol:

One of the more promising suggestions (by @RehabMan IIRC) involved injecting ATI and setting the framebuffer to "Orinoco". You may have noticed that in my previous config.plist as one method I was trying to get HDMI to work. In this case, it didn't work. But, I did have a lot of "junk" in my settings too.

This work by @Pavo AMD RX580 - 3rd monitor is black in High Sierra is IMO the most promising as it directly patches this newer RX580 version for which MacOS currently is not "aware". The older cards used 2DP/1HDMI/iDVI
At any rate,the methodology is currently over my head. Doing research on the terminology and software used to accomplish this patch now.

I have updated the USB SSDT files with your most recent. And, trying darkwake=0 on the next reboot after posting this;

The only internal USB device I have is the Bluetooth adapter on my BCM94360CS2 adapter. As a matter of course while troubleshooting this issue, I disconnected ALL other USB devices with no change.

[EDIT: I have read through much of the above-captioned thread. And, frankly I am going to need some time with it. There is not a lot of detail regarding methodology. Rather just broad statements of WHAT to do. I need to figure out HOW to do it first. At my level, I am definitely not comfortable with working directly with patching the video portd in BIOS. I just don't have enough knowledge about the topic... yet.]

Last edited:
Jim,

Thanks for the followup. I have been reading those same posts all day during the few times I was able to get some time.
It seems that most of the dark-HDMI issues are encountered on HS or earlier. I guess we are "early adopters" for Mojave (AKA the guinea pigs):lol:

One of the more promising suggestions (by @RehabMan IIRC) involved injecting ATI and setting the framebuffer to "Orinoco". You may have noticed that in my previous config.plist as one method I was trying to get HDMI to work. In this case, it didn't work. But, I did have a lot of "junk" in my settings too.

This work by @Pavo AMD RX580 - 3rd monitor is black in High Sierra is IMO the most promising as it directly patches this newer RX580 version for which MacOS currently is not "aware". The older cards used 2DP/1HDMI/iDVI
At any rate,the methodology is currently over my head. Doing research on the terminology and software used to accomplish this patch now.

I have updated the USB SSDT files with your most recent. And, trying darkwake=0 on the next reboot after posting this;

The only internal USB device I have is the Bluetooth adapter on my BCM94360CS2 adapter. As a matter of course while troubleshooting this issue, I disconnected ALL other USB devices with no change.

Hi Ken, just had a quick look at the link to Pavo whilst in Manjaro Linux mucking around with my Thunderbolt 3 Alpine Ridge card.It's working with a USB dock and USB thumb drives, but will have to wait to later next week to get a OWC TB3 to 10Gbe adapter.

What is niggling me, is my Sapphire RX 580 Nitro++ 8GB card has 2 x DP, 2 x HDMI and 1 DVI. I had it working this morning with 3 screens, 1 x DP, 2 x HDMI and had no issues?

Doesn't look that hard (famous last words!), to do the patch... I'll look into it further hopefully tomorrow, but I'll wait to see what your feedback is on my previous post.

Jim

Jim

I just got through running the USB update through the mill. All ports charge my iPhone. I cannot find a "dead" USB port.
And, all ports report the following data when charging.

USB2 on front panel report (Shown as 4 port USB2.0 Hub on USB3.0 BUS in System Info)
Charging iPhone 7
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 500
Extra Operating Current (mA): 0
Sleep current (mA): 500

USB3 Front Panel and Rear Panel Report;
Charging iPhone7
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 500
Extra Operating Current (mA): 1600
Sleep current (mA): 2100

Curiously, ALL rear ports report as USB3.0. The two closest to the ethernet ports show as USB3.0 BUS on a BRCM20702 Hub. It just looks weird to me. But, it is probably not an issue.
I cannot determine any USB3.1 connectivity. (I don't currently have a USB-C device at this location for that port. And, none of the other connectors show up as USB3.1)
System Info shows TWO USB3.1 BUS entries. But, nothing appears as connected to them from any external ports.

In an attempt to be helpful and complete, I have connected an active device to each and every external USB port available. As you can see, all of them are active. (good news?) The attached System Info pics will help you to confirm if everything is working as intended. Let me know if any other information might be helpful.

Ken
Screen Shot 2018-12-28 at 23.17.26.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-28 at 23.18.13.png

Back