Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

CaseySJ, I found the culprit of the crashes during the sleep since the installation of Sonoma.

I started from the sleeplog and noted this line which appeared every time: "Failure during sleep: SAT0(AppleIntelPchSeriesAHCI) : Some drivers failed to handle setPowerState". This reminded me of the internal DVD drive, which has always been in place without causing any problems. When I unplugged it, there were no more crashes. It seems that nobody is supposed to have an internal DVD drive anymore according to Apple, which is probably true enough. I guess I'll just have to buy an external drive, since bare cases cost more than drives, which is pretty absurd.

I hope my misadventure will be of use to the few who still have a player like me and would like to switch to Sonoma. Thanks again, without the sleeplog, I'd probably still be looking.

CaseySJ, I found the culprit of the crashes during the sleep since the installation of Sonoma.

I started from the sleeplog and noted this line which appeared every time: "Failure during sleep: SAT0(AppleIntelPchSeriesAHCI) : Some drivers failed to handle setPowerState". This reminded me of the internal DVD drive, which has always been in place without causing any problems. When I unplugged it, there were no more crashes. It seems that nobody is supposed to have an internal DVD drive anymore according to Apple, which is probably true enough. I guess I'll just have to buy an external drive, since bare cases cost more than drives, which is pretty absurd.

I hope my misadventure will be of use to the few who still have a player like me and would like to switch to Sonoma. Thanks again, without the sleeplog, I'd probably still be looking.
Good job!

Who knew that an internal DVD drive would cause such problems... I wonder if this is limited to certain models. What is the make/model of yours?

It's a Lite-On, IHAS124-14 I think, I'd have to take it out of the tower to be sure. I've had it since day one, and I've never complained about it.

EDIT: I checked, model iHAS324-17

Last edited:
I've had a perfect experience with my first Hackintosh, based on this build. Eventually updated to OpenCore, added an AMD RX 580, updated OS versions a couple of times, now up to Ventura. I went to Ventura in December and everything had been great. Was recently tidying up my room and had things unplugged, now set back up.. System worked for a few hours, but then I rebooted and when I try to boot now, system gets stuck at apple logo with progress bar half filled and just hangs up. did some research, some suggesting the GPU went bad, so swapped GPU's (RX 5700 XT) but didn't fix. hoping someone can poke around the plist and find the problem.

Attachments

• config.plist.zip
    5.4 KB · Views: 3
I've had a perfect experience with my first Hackintosh, based on this build. Eventually updated to OpenCore, added an AMD RX 580, updated OS versions a couple of times, now up to Ventura. I went to Ventura in December and everything had been great. Was recently tidying up my room and had things unplugged, now set back up.. System worked for a few hours, but then I rebooted and when I try to boot now, system gets stuck at apple logo with progress bar half filled and just hangs up. did some research, some suggesting the GPU went bad, so swapped GPU's (RX 5700 XT) but didn't fix. hoping someone can poke around the plist and find the problem.
Please try the attached config.plist. If the system still hangs during boot, enable verbose logs by pressing and releasing CMD-V at the OpenCore Boot Picker before selecting macOS.

Attachments

• config.plist
    31.8 KB · Views: 6
Please try the attached config.plist. If the system still hangs during boot, enable verbose logs by pressing and releasing CMD-V at the OpenCore Boot Picker before selecting macOS
no dice :( I should say, I also tried the previous drive which was cloned entirely, efi and all. tried verbose, just a lot of scrolling, and it finally slowed down enough to grab a photo, but this is pretty much all I can get out of it.. here's a couple photos.

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    10.2 MB · Views: 5
no dice :( I should say, I also tried the previous drive which was cloned entirely, efi and all. tried verbose, just a lot of scrolling, and it finally slowed down enough to grab a photo, but this is pretty much all I can get out of it.. here's a couple photos.
Ouch, the log is full of disk errors and disk corruption messages.
  • Are the disks installed securely in M.2 slots?
  • How old are the disks?
  • Are they NVMe SSDs, SATA SSDs, spinning hard drives, etc.?
Do you have a full backup?

I used to use the Samsung 970 pros nvme, for years, but after seeing so much about how we shouldn't be using them, I CCC'd my Big Sur (Samsung) to WD Black NVMe and then updated to Ventura. usually just have one drive in one of the m.2 slots. never had a problem til now. gonna do some swaps and see if anything improves.. thanks for poking around! I'll be back with an update.

I used to use the Samsung 970 pros nvme, for years, but after seeing so much about how we shouldn't be using them, I CCC'd my Big Sur (Samsung) to WD Black NVMe and then updated to Ventura. usually just have one drive in one of the m.2 slots. never had a problem til now. gonna do some swaps and see if anything improves.. thanks for poking around! I'll be back with an update.
Consider these steps as well:
  • Cold boot -- this means shutdown and flip power switch on PSU to OFF for 10 seconds, then power on
  • Gently remove and re-install each M.2 NVMe SSD (ensure that PSU is OFF when doing this)
    • Heatsink thermal pad can stick to NVMe SSD, so remove each disk very gently
  • If you have Windows or Linux on this computer, try running them to see if they work reliably
    • (This will tell us if basic hardware is okay)

Thank you for the suggestions. I've done a version of those at some point the last few days. I have just pulled out my Monterey drive which was on a Samsung 970 Pro and was stable for 3 years. But seeing some stuff about avoiding them online, I decided up upgrade to a 2TB WD Black. So I did a full clone and switched to the WD for about a month, but that's the drive that has just failed (apparently, still messing with it to confirm). The Samsung/Monterey boots up but I never cloned after updating to Ventura so now I just have to do some more cloning and updating again.

Tthanks so much for your support! I believe I'm back on my way now!

Back