Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

1. I'm using a DP from 580. I did try going out of the 5700 DP with the 580 in, but again it got stuck on the boot screen.

How/where are you going IN to the motherboard from the 580?

AMD RX580 -> DP out -> DP in on z390 motherboard
USB-C/TB out -> USB-C in on LG Ergo 32" UN880-B (awesome monitor)

Bios set to iGFX, about screen shows AMD Radeon RX580 8GB

I have used this setup with Mojave & upgraded to Mavericks (or the other way around) & now upgraded in place to Monterey

Had some help from Casey to get the USB over TB working so now the USB ports on the back of the monitor work flawlessly & my Logitech MX Keys/Master 3 dongle attached to usb port on back of monitor

Look at the image titled "DisplayPort Input"

Alas we’ve exhausted nearly everything. At this point I would recommend doing a fresh installation of Ventura on a spare SSD using the same EFI folder. Then let’s see if WiFi connects and works.

This method has the benefit of removing the influence of all third-party apps and drivers.
Finally I was able to solve the issue with fcpx. Some audio plugins after updating to 13.3.* would not work. I found that this is a common problem with some audio plugins and 13.3.

As for the wifi the last thing I tried was to boot my system from USB installation I made when I installed Ventura for the 1st time (13.0) but again the wifi doesn't work. It's not the wifi that I care so much but the Airdrop which w/o wifi isn't working. So by checking another EFI then can I come to conclusion that the issue is not there?

P.S. After removing the audio plugins and reinstall them again Fcpx works fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
post 1 should have all the BIOS settings that should be enabled and disabled
Just to clarify before I do this,

Im just resetting my current BIOS settings and basically configuring them to how they were before? I've already added the boot argument agdpmod=pikera into my EFI.

Just to clarify before I do this,

Im just resetting my current BIOS settings and basically configuring them to how they were before? I've already added the boot argument agdpmod=pikera into my EFI.
Yes this is all that should be necessary.

AMD RX580 -> DP out -> DP in on z390 motherboard
USB-C/TB out -> USB-C in on LG Ergo 32" UN880-B (awesome monitor)

Bios set to iGFX, about screen shows AMD Radeon RX580 8GB

I have used this setup with Mojave & upgraded to Mavericks (or the other way around) & now upgraded in place to Monterey

Had some help from Casey to get the USB over TB working so now the USB ports on the back of the monitor work flawlessly & my Logitech MX Keys/Master 3 dongle attached to usb port on back of monitor

Look at the image titled "DisplayPort Input"
Does this require a TB flash?

Does this require a TB flash?
No; we just need to set Platform ID to 0x3E9B0007, which is already done in config-Intel-iGPU.plist that is inside the OpenCore EFI folder I’ve provided in this thread.

Yes this is all that should be necessary.
(Thanks to @Zip1 for helping put this together!)
  • Press F2 to toggle to Advanced Mode.
  • Press F7 to Load Optimized Defaults.
Now make the following settings:
  • Tweaker
    • Advanced CPU Settings → VT-d → Disabled → Update: This can be Enabled if using OpenCore
    • Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) → Profile 1
  • Settings
    • Internal Graphics → Enabled
    • Above 4G Decoding → Enabled
    • Thunderbolt(TM) Configuration
      • Security Level → No Security
        This will trigger a 'Save & Exit' dialog so press ESC to close the dialog.
      • Discrete Thunderbolt(TM) Configuration
        • Thunderbolt USB Support → Enabled
        • GPIO3 Force Pwr → Enabled
    • USB Configuration
      • XHCI Handoff → Enabled
  • Boot
    • Windows 8/10 Features → Other OS
    • CSM Support → Disabled
      Some devices such as GPUs may require CSM Support to be enabled. There is no harm in setting this to either Enabled or Disabled. Use the setting that works best.
  • Save & Exit → Save Profiles → Save to Profile 1
    This preserves the firmware settings for easy recovery.
For Firmware F9i and newer:
  • Boot → CFG-Lock → Disabled
Is this the correct/most updated guide?

Hey, is there a guide for this build to upgrade to Big Sur? I tried using the generic guide and failed miserably. (At this point I'd be happy just getting back into catalina, which will be tonight's project since my bootable backup decided to no longer be bootable.)

We just need to have OpenCore 0.9.1, then (a) download the Ventura installer and (b) create a USB install disk. The instructions for (a) and (b) can be followed from STEP 1 and STEP 2 located here:

Step 1:

Step 2:

Hi Casey.

Thanks, but what about the rest of the steps? E.G where do I get the EFI for the Z390 from, as those steps mentioned in the above link are for the Asus Z690?

Thanks

Back