Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Good to know!

Thinking of doing this since I've lost the ability to boot into Windows from the boot picker with VT-d off.

Are there any downsides of applying these changes to the system?

@dranose

You can always test the change by putting the revised EFI on a thumb drive and booting from it by holding down the F12 key at the BIOS screen. Leave your current EFI on your regular boot drive to fall back to if needed.

My plan is:

- to disable everything ASPM related in the BIOS;
- Switch PCH to CPU for the x4 lane (is the M2 bottom slot sharing resources from PCIe x4 slot?);
- revert back to official F9i (I am on the latest Elias F9i BIOS);
- reinstall Mojave and Security patches on top;
- swap the drive from bottom slot to top slot;
- revert back to working Clover 5151 (I switched to OC in January or February).

I won't necessarily do all of this but those are the possible options.
Well finally, I did almost everything… ;) The only thing left for me to do: install the NVMe in the upper M2 slot.

After several reboots, no KP. However, there was one time the computer wouldn't restart and I was left with the cursor on a black screen. I forced a reset but no Kernel Panic at least!

**Swapped the NVMe to M2M (upper slot) but did a mistake, poor Fractal case!

3E8D2BA0-CBEB-40CC-97F1-7F318B40A71A.jpeg

Local hardware store will cut me a piece of plexiglass :).

Last edited:
Almost perfect but I had to use strips of big Avery sticky labels to hide the glue joint. I’ll redo It with white adhesive vinyl paper cut to shape…

E3982B20-D8EE-44C5-9A50-EC947E331700.jpeg

** Update on WiFi and Ethernet Issues in macOS 13.3 **
Glimmer of Hope

Further investigation shows conclusively that a change made in IOPCIFamily.kext is responsible for the WiFi and Ethernet problems we're experiencing in macOS 13.3.

The change was introduced in one of the late beta builds. In other words, macOS 13.3 beta builds 1, 2 and 3 work properly. I haven't checked all of the subsequent beta builds.

We expect Apple to post the source code for IOPCIFamily to their open source website soon. Then it should be possible to isolate the problem and create a patch.

I have manually inserted IOPCIFamily from an early 13.3 beta build into a late 13.3 beta build, and everything is working normally again.

Here's my Z490 Vision D with WiFi restored in 13.3 late beta build:

View attachment 565222

Just one Ethernet connection is working for you with 13.3 even using IOPCIfamily.kext beta version? Before the upgrade the two Ethernet connections worked.

Just one Ethernet connection is working for you with 13.3 even using IOPCIfamily.kext beta version? Before the upgrade the two Ethernet connections worked.
I have updated my Z490 Vision D to Ventura 13.4 public beta 1, which exhibits the same behavior as 13.3 release version. Some details:

macOS 13.4 (unmodified) with AppleVTD enabled:
  • Intel i225-V Ethernet (DriverKit) works
  • Intel i219 Ethernet (IntelMausi.kext) does not work
  • Fenvi FV-T919 WiFi/BT does not work
macOS 13.4 with AppleVTD enabled and IOPCIFamily from early 13.3 Beta:
  • Intel i219 Ethernet (IntelMausi.kext) works
  • Fenvi FV-T919 WiFi/BT works
Screenshot 2023-04-01 at 3.22.28 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-04-01 at 3.24.44 PM.png

I have updated my Z490 Vision D to Ventura 13.4 public beta 1, which exhibits the same behavior as 13.3 release version. Some details:

macOS 13.4 (unmodified) with AppleVTD enabled:
  • Intel i219 Ethernet (IntelMausi.kext) does not work
  • Fenvi FV-T919 WiFi/BT does not work
macOS 13.4 with AppleVTD enabled and IOPCIFamily from early 13.3 Beta:
  • Intel i219 Ethernet (IntelMausi.kext) works
  • Fenvi FV-T919 WiFi/BT works

How can I get and install this IOPCIFamily from early 13.3 Beta?

** Interim Update on IOPCIFamily Comparision **

Source code for 13.3 has not yet been posted to the Apple Open Source website. In the meantime it was possible to disassemble early and late versions of IOPCIFamily using the Ghidra disassembler that has an option to produce C-like pseudo-code.

The most significant change I can find is in the function AppleVTD::initHardware. It is very likely that the culprit lies in this function because if we disable AppleVTD, our Ethernet and WiFi devices start to function properly once again.

The change affects memory allocation and deallocation. All-new functions have been created to manage memory. The total number of lines-of-code seems to be between 100 and 300, which is not much relatively speaking, but it does make a patch more difficult. This does not mean a patch is impossible; it just means we need to study the source code.

Here are some of the modifications, with early 13.3 on the left and late 13.3 on the right:

Screenshot 2023-04-01 at 3.37.22 PM.png

Call to space_alloc_fixed has been replaced with a new function reserveRanges:
Screenshot 2023-04-01 at 3.39.50 PM.png

Last edited:
How can I get and install this IOPCIFamily from early 13.3 Beta?
What I have done is not a solution. Please wait until macOS 13.3 source code is available and we try to create a patch. The wizards at Acidanthera might also create a patch, in which case they could add a new Kernel Quirk into a future release of OpenCore.

Options at this time:
  • Option 1: Disable AppleVTD
    • Intel i219 and WiFi/BT ports will work
    • Intel i225-V will require boot argument e1000=0 and injection of AppleIntelI210Ethernet.kext from Monterey
    • Aquantia AQC-107 and AQC-113 cards will need these kernel patches
  • Option 2: If you need to enable AppleVTD
    • For Ethernet, use a USB-to-1GbE and/or USB-to-2.5GbE adapter
    • WiFi will not work
    • Aquantia AQC-107 and AQC-113 might work with the same patches above (GitHub)
  • Option 3: Downgrade to 13.2
    • Make a full bootable backup of current system before doing so!

UPDATE:
  • Option 4:
    • Reduce memory to 16GB max (2 x 8GB DIMMs)
    • This is a temporary workaround
    • With AppleVTD enabled, WiFi and Ethernet should work

Last edited:
Additional Comment on WiFi/Ethernet Issues with macOS 13.3 and newer:
  • My Gigabyte Z390 Designare (iMac19,1) is not experiencing any problems (w/AppleVTD)
  • My Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (iMac19,1), however, is experiencing the problem with Intel i219 and Fenvi FV-T919 (w/AppleVTD)
  • My Asus ROG Strix Z690-I Gaming (MacPro7,1) is not experiencing any problems (w/AppleVTD)
  • My Asus ProArt Z690 Creator (MacPro7,1) is not experiencing any problem (w/AppleVTD)
For Z390 Designare owners I'll post my BIOS configuration file soon. I'm running BIOS F9i.

UPDATE:
  • My Z390 Designare has 16GB memory (2 x 8GB DIMMs) and it works with 13.3
  • I just added 2 more 8GB modules for total of 32GB memory and now it does not work
  • This harkens back to our initial work on AppleVTD
Screenshot 2023-04-01 at 4.34.13 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-04-01 at 4.33.48 PM.png

Last edited:
Yet Another Comment on WiFi/Ethernet Issues with macOS 13.3 and newer:

We have some more information about this problem:
  • If the motherboard's native DMAR (DMA remap table) contains one or more Reserved Memory Regions, then WiFi and Ethernet problems will occur when (a) AppleVTD is enabled and (b) more than 16GB memory is installed
    • If we reduce memory to 16GB or less, the problem will disappear
      • But in this case we can also use the standard DMAR table (no need to replace it)
    • Gigabyte Z390 Designare and Z490 Vision D both have Reserved Memory Regions in their native DMAR table, which looks like this:
      Screenshot 2023-04-01 at 5.35.14 PM.png
  • If the motherboard's native DMAR does not contain Reserved Memory Regions, then WiFi and Ethernet will work properly in macOS with (a) AppleVTD enabled and (b) any amount of memory installed
    • Asus Z690 motherboards do not have Reserved Memory Regions in their native DMAR table, so those boards work properly in macOS 13.3 and newer

Last edited:
Back