Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Anyone on Monterey updated to 12.6.2 & had any issues.

Updated......

It refused to recognize my Logitech MX Keys keyboard....weird...though the keyboard still works

Last edited:
Hi, I'm trying to install Ventura as a clean install and then migrate the files. Has anyone ever posted a step by step guide for that?

Hi, I'm trying to install Ventura as a clean install and then migrate the files. Has anyone ever posted a step by step guide for that?

If your old HDD is intact with OS & home directory, then

Option #1

Option #2
This one is a bit more drastic. Howewver, I have done this successfully when going from old iMac to hackintosh

If you are installing on the same disk, then openTerminal and
sudo tar cvzfp myhome.tgz /Users/bob (assuming you are Bob)

After installing clean OS, make a Bob user (i.e., you) then a test user with admin privileges.
Log out from Bob & log in as test.

cd /Users
mv Bob Bob.orig
sudo tar xvzfp myhome.tgz

Reboot & log in as Bob.

You will have to reinstall apps, but basic stuff like Mail, etc., gets rebuilt when you open the app. Same with photos, etc., etc.,: i.e., mailbox gets rebuilt & photos library gets rebuilt & spotlight re-indexes everything.

Now, this crazy approach works simply because OS X uses plist/pref files and does not do something insane like the Windows registry, which would be impossible to migrate.

Option #3
Wait for someone to reply to above.

Anyone know how to stop Monterey from automounting an external disk/SSD on reboot or every time it wakes from sleep ?

I have this in my /etc/fstab, and it does not work. I reformatted as plain HFS, and it still automounts. I keep getting "Disk not ejected" notifications which are now getting annoying.

UUID=XXXXXX-XXXX-XXX-XXX-63624XXXXXX none afs rw,noauto

Oddly enough the above trick works for partitions on disks that are mounted in the computer itself
This SSD is my old Samsung EVO M2 970+ and is now in an external case, dangling off the USB 3.0, behind the monitor.
@CaseySJ's updated .aml file helped make the USB over TB work & now the downstream USB ports on the monitor are working.

Anyone know how to stop Monterey from automounting an external disk/SSD on reboot or every time it wakes from sleep ?

I have this in my /etc/fstab, and it does not work. I reformatted as plain HFS, and it still automounts. I keep getting "Disk not ejected" notifications which are now getting annoying.

UUID=XXXXXX-XXXX-XXX-XXX-63624XXXXXX none afs rw,noauto

Oddly enough the above trick works for partitions on disks that are mounted in the computer itself
This SSD is my old Samsung EVO M2 970+ and is now in an external case, dangling off the USB 3.0, behind the monitor.
@CaseySJ's updated .aml file helped make the USB over TB work & now the downstream USB ports on the monitor are working.
The Jettison utility from St. Claire software may be able to handle this on wake-from-sleep. There are other similar apps. Jettison has a free trial period.

The Jettison utility from St. Claire software may be able to handle this on wake-from-sleep. There are other similar apps. Jettison has a free trial period.

Thanks. You gave me another idea as well.

The sleep/wake events are documented somewhere, and you could hook into them via Automator or launchd. A simple script should resolve the issue without needing yet another app.

Also, fstab entries should be getting parsed because the nomount directive is working for the internal drives, and the syslog should contain info on this.

I will test a few things, and I'll post a solution if I can fix it.

Thanks. You gave me another idea as well.

The sleep/wake events are documented somewhere, and you could hook into them via Automator or launchd. A simple script should resolve the issue without needing yet another app.

Also, fstab entries should be getting parsed because the nomount directive is working for the internal drives, and the syslog should contain info on this.

I will test a few things, and I'll post a solution if I can fix it.
Try to set your memory in BIOS to "2666 MHz" - like on "real MAC" this is common issue with auto unmounting USB drives.

@CaseySJ, hey mate, can you please help me regarding upgrades. I build 2 machines using your instructions.
One is an i7 8700k the other i9 9900k.
All other parts are exactly like you have here in your original instructions. I built them in July 2019.

Both machines have Mojave 10.14.6.

How can I upgrade these machines to Ventura or Monterey?
Is it just download the upgrade and install?

Thanks a lot for your help Casey.
G.

How can I upgrade these machines to Ventura or Monterey?
Is it just download the upgrade and install?
It is: Update the EFI to a version of OpenCore which can run Monterey/Ventura, if that's not already the case, make sure you have a bootable backup and then hit the "Update" button in macOS.

General question - I noticed today that I am still running shikigva=80. Do we still need it? Ventura 13.1, Macpro1,1, i9900k, rx6900. I was wondering because I did a clean install of Ventura and Final Cut 10.6.5 for beachballing, did an etrecheck and saw shikigva in my boot args. Thx in advance!

Last edited:
Back