Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@ummario

So the Ventura installer actually starts and runs. I thought that the installer was not starting.

If the system crashes while trying to reboot, that is okay. Just continue the installation from OpenCore Boot Picker by selecting the “Macintosh HD” or similar new boot entry that was created by the installer.
Yes, it does start. But, as you said, the reboot does not happen.

If I proceed as you suggested, after manual restart at OpenCore Boot Picker I see 4 disks:

1. Windows (my Windows disk)
2. Mac OS Install
3. Mac OS Install
4. Monterey (my previous working Monterey disk)

So I presume the '2. Mac OS Install' was created when installing Ventura into the second M.2 disk. And the '3. Mac OS Install' was created when I tried to make macOS upgrade from Monterey to Ventura (main M.2 disk).

The thing is that I can't distinguish one from the other at the OpenCore Boot Picker. But if i try one of them each time, and presuming i'm booting correctly from the the '2. Mac OS Install' (second m.2 disk), install stalls during the process bar with apple logo mentioning 25 minutes remaining.

Before I see the apple Logo, I have sobe verbose info (attached few pictures) but then Apple Logo and progress bars shows up initially with 'about 29 minutes remaining' but then stalls on 'about 25 minutes remaining...'

tempImage8Odp9h.png
tempImagekra10M.png
tempImagexh37lk.png
tempImagejD00PJ.png
tempImage3pNRN8.png

@ummario

Ouch, this is quite puzzling… I think it makes sense now to try a fresh install on a spare SSD.

@ummario

Ouch, this is quite puzzling… I think it makes sense now to try a fresh install on a spare SSD.
I was making a fresh install on a second M.2 disk. It happens what I described above

I think I’ll quit for now.

It’s my kid's computer, and it is not that important for him to have Ventura. Monterey and Windows are fine for Him.

But I’m intrigued….

Thanks for your help @CaseySJ!

I just checked my BIOS version, and I'm running F9i. On the Gigabyte website there's version F9. Do you know if I safe to try?

I just checked my BIOS version, and I'm running F9i. On the Gigabyte website there's version F9. Do you know if I safe to try?
Yes F9 should be okay.

Yes, it does start. But, as you said, the reboot does not happen.

If I proceed as you suggested, after manual restart at OpenCore Boot Picker I see 4 disks:

1. Windows (my Windows disk)
2. Mac OS Install
3. Mac OS Install
4. Monterey (my previous working Monterey disk)

So I presume the '2. Mac OS Install' was created when installing Ventura into the second M.2 disk. And the '3. Mac OS Install' was created when I tried to make macOS upgrade from Monterey to Ventura (main M.2 disk).

The thing is that I can't distinguish one from the other at the OpenCore Boot Picker. But if i try one of them each time, and presuming i'm booting correctly from the the '2. Mac OS Install' (second m.2 disk), install stalls during the process bar with apple logo mentioning 25 minutes remaining.

Before I see the apple Logo, I have sobe verbose info (attached few pictures) but then Apple Logo and progress bars shows up initially with 'about 29 minutes remaining' but then stalls on 'about 25 minutes remaining...'

View attachment 559724View attachment 559725View attachment 559726View attachment 559727View attachment 559728
Try install in another USB port.

Try install in another USB port.
I did tried several different USB ports. However, at a certain point I don't think it's a USB problem anymore, since the installer apparently succeeds. (Even that it does not makes the first reboot automatically.) Then hangs during the installation process, but on that phase (after OpenCore boot pick) I think UBS is not being used anymore.

I also tried to make a brand new USB pen installer.

As I said, this is not my main machine, so is not a big problem. Anyhow, I'm curious why I can't complete Ventura installation.

Are you certain that you are starting the machine with only one EFI attached?
Are you booting this machine with a Windows boot drive connected?

I would think that not having some sort of an Ethernet hardware address for Ventura to "see" would prevent the OS from loading. Please double check your F9i BIOS settings and make sure that Windows isn't paving-over the requirements for OpenCore.

I did tried several different USB ports. However, at a certain point I don't think it's a USB problem anymore, since the installer apparently succeeds. (Even that it does not makes the first reboot automatically.) Then hangs during the installation process, but on that phase (after OpenCore boot pick) I think UBS is not being used anymore.

I also tried to make a brand new USB pen installer.

As I said, this is not my main machine, so is not a big problem. Anyhow, I'm curious why I can't complete Ventura installation.
Not sure if these will help.

BIOS -> USB -> Legacy Support Enabled/Disabled ?

CMD+v at the OC picker to get the verbose log.

Frankly, I would unplug everything, except the main M.2 SSD and your boot USB stick so it's a more controlled test environment.

Thanks @jiffyslot and @madmax559 for your inputs. I can't test it further right now. (It's my kid's computer, and he needs it at the moment.) However, I will take them in consideration in next testing rounds.

Thanks

Back