Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

** OpenCore 0.7.8 EFI for Z390 Designare **
Supports Mojave, Catalina, Big Sur, and Monterey
Please do not quote this post in its entirely. Use a link instead.

Also available from HackinDROM App

** NOTE **
Mojave and Catalina Users: Please see "Post-Update Procedure" below.

Please use OpenCore Configurator 2.56.0.0 or next version and ensure that it's set to
0.7.8 Development Configuration or 0.7.8 Release Configuration

When using OpenCore Configurator, ensure that only one EFI partition is mounted​

Windows Users:
If you are unable to boot Windows through OpenCore, try disabling AppleVTD by following the bottom half of this post.

Monterey -- What Does Not Work:
  • Intel I-211 Ethernet port driven by SmallTreeIntel82576 is not working at this time. The other Ethernet port (I-219) is fully operational. If a second Ethernet port is needed, options include:
    • USB to Gigabit Ethernet adapter
    • USB to 2.5GbE Ethernet adapter
    • USB-C dock with built-in Ethernet port
    • Thunderbolt dock with built-in Ethernet port
    • Apple Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet adapter (requires AppleVTD to be enabled)
  • Laird BT851 Bluetooth 5.0 USB dongle not working at this time.
  • If Monterey is installed on Samsung NVMe SSDs, boot time can increase by 60-100 seconds due to "trim" incompatibilty.
    • This can be addressed by cloning the Samsung NVMe SSD to another disk, erasing the Samsung NVMe SSD with Disk Utility, and cloning macOS back. Please be careful with this process if you decide to do it.
  • Crucial P2 NVMe SSDs (only P2 series) also suffer from trim issues in Monterey.

This Update Includes:
  • OpenCore 0.7.8
  • AppleALC 1.6.9
  • Lilu 1.6.0
  • WhateverGreen 1.5.7
  • RestrictEvents 1.0.7
  • OpenIntelWireless ZIP:
    • IntelBluetoothFirmware 2.1.0
    • IntelBluetoothInjector 2.1.0 (not used in Monterey)
    • AirportItlwm 2.1.0 for Mojave, Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey
This update also includes Marvell (Aquantia) AQC-107 kernel patch v3 for Monterey 12.3.

Instructions:
  • Download appropriate ZIP file below and follow these instructions to configure config.plist.
  • If "Resizable BAR Support" is enabled in BIOS, set ResizableAppleGpuBars to 0 in Booter quirks.
  • Copy EFI folder to EFI partition of USB flash disk and boot from USB flash disk.
  • Ensure that REL-078-xxx appears on bottom right corner of OpenCanopy Picker.
  • If everything is okay, mount the EFI partition of USB flash disk and internal macOS SSD, then copy EFI folder from USB flash disk to internal macOS SSD.

Catalina and Mojave Users:
  • Set SecureBootModel to Disabled.
    Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 5.21.42 AM.png

Issues:
Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 10.52.10 AM.png

Which File to Download:
  • Broadcom WiFi/BT (such as Fenvi FV-T919) --> OC-078-DESIGNARE-Z390.zip
  • Intel WiFi/BT --> OC-078-DESIGNARE-Z390-INTEL-WIRELESS.zip
Reminder:
  • Radeon VII and Vega 56/64 users must disable or remove boot argument agdpmod=pikera.

Updates:
  • None yet

Attachments

• OC-078-DESIGNARE-Z390.zip
    8.4 MB · Views: 506
  • OC-078-DESIGNARE-Z390-INTEL-WIRELESS.zip
    71.4 MB · Views: 386
Last edited:
Hi everyone
Just a small post to aware of not upgrading the bios to last F9
It not only break Thunderbolt USB on OSX but even in Windows and Linux
I own a LG 27md5k that worked well in those 3 OS in dual monitor with another 4K Asus
Actually LG still working but I lost build in camera, audio and usb Hub
USB fonction no more working on 2 USB C port.
I have oculus quest 2 that was recognized on those both USB port with F9i Bios. And actually a lot of peripheral I tried are not working.

I tried multiple bios settings on Thunderbolt with no change Even deactivated Thunderbolt let them on.
I’m waiting for a feedback from gigabyte support.
Yeah, already noticed it when F9j became available: no more USB support on any platforms (at least seen on Windows and MacOS - no Linux here…) on the TB ports.

Add to the fact that unless you have a way to physically flash an older BIOS, the newest F9 doesn’t allow to flash an old BIOS. Keeping the modded Elias F9i in my case…

Good Evening, Having some issues booting my system after a hard boot this morning. I recently update my OC to 0.7.7 last week and updated Big Sur release patch. I have noticed some strange behavior when system goes to sleep and had no choice to do a hard boot this AM.
Here is my issue, when I try to boot, it sits at the Apple Logo and progress bar does not move. I tried booting to my backup and it does the same(not good considering I just backed up the system a couple days ago).

Can someone recommend some troubleshooting steps? First issue I have had in some time.

Thanks!

Good Evening, Having some issues booting my system after a hard boot this morning. I recently update my OC to 0.7.7 last week and updated Big Sur release patch. I have noticed some strange behavior when system goes to sleep and had no choice to do a hard boot this AM.
Here is my issue, when I try to boot, it sits at the Apple Logo and progress bar does not move. I tried booting to my backup and it does the same(not good considering I just backed up the system a couple days ago).

Can someone recommend some troubleshooting steps? First issue I have had in some time.

Thanks!
Please check if BIOS parameters are configured correctly, including “Boot —> CFG-Lock —> Disabled”.

We can also enable verbose mode by pressing and releasing CMD-V in OpenCore boot picker before selecting the macOS boot disk.

** Custom BIOS F9i with Latest Intel Micro Code, 0xEA **
Credit: @Elias64Fr

WARNING:
Please install
BIOS F9i OFFICIAL version before installing this one
If you are already running BIOS F9i, then you may install the new BIOS directly

Elias has done it again! He has inserted the latest Intel Coffee Lake microcode from Apple's most recent firmware update (part of Big Sur 11.4) into the Gigabyte Z390 Designare F9i BIOS. The latest microcode is version 0xEA and applies to the CPUID 0906 family of 8th and 9th generation Intel Core processors.

Even though the new microcode was released with Big Sur 11.4, it applies to the Intel processor itself and not to any particular operating system. All versions of macOS, Windows, Linux, etc. are compatible.

The resulting file is called Z390DESI_modMC_01052021_0906_Rev_0xEA.F9i, and it's attached below.

As always, the decision to use or not use this BIOS is up to you. It is entirely optional. I have tested the new BIOS for half a day now with no issues.

View attachment 519951
@CaseySJ & @DeBilbao

One this new BIOS firmware based on F9i version, I have included last CPU Microcodes version 0xEC (04/24/2021) and last Intel ME version 12.0.81.1753 for Security Vulnerabilities.

Microcodes has been found on last Apple iMac19,1 firmware included on macOS 12.2 update.
Intel ME has been found on last Z390 Designare F9 firmware.

I have successfully tested this update on my custom firmware but not using Q-Flash. @CaseySJ, if you have some time, you can verify it and publicly post it :)

Attachments

• Z390DESI_modMC_04282021_0906_Rev_0xEC_modME_12.0.81.1753.F9i.zip
    6.8 MB · Views: 111
Last edited:
@CaseySJ & @DeBilbao

One this new BIOS firmware based on F9i version, I have included last CPU Microcodes version 0xEC (04/24/2021) and last Intel ME version 12.0.81.1753 for Security Vulnerabilities.

Microcodes has been found on last Apple iMac19,1 firmware included on macOS 12.2 update.
Intel ME has been found on last Z390 Designare F9 firmware.

I have successfully tested this update on my custom firmware but not using Q-Flash. @CaseySJ, if you have some time, you can verify it and publicly post it :)
Hello @Elias64Fr,

Thank you for assembling this file, which includes the latest security fixes and micro code, but retains the F9i feature set.

When you say “not using Q-Flash”, does this mean it cannot be installed via Q-Flash?

Hello @Elias64Fr,

Thank you for assembling this file, which includes the latest security fixes and micro code, but retains the F9i feature set.

When you say “not using Q-Flash”, does this mean it cannot be installed via Q-Flash?
This file is based on previously modified F9i version with 0xEA microcodes. It should be Q-Flash "flashable". Only not tested.

@pagimamaun @joysthokkins

You should wait @CaseySJ testing it via Q-Flash before using it.

After this, you can use it on BIOS Q-Flash to override F9i version only (Someone had bricked his motherboard after flashing previous one with 0xEA MC on another version... F8 if I remember... fortunately, he had recovered it by using a CH341 Programmer).

Last edited:
Back