Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ

Hmmm, I can't get 0.6.6. to work. It freezes after I've entered my FileVault password. Any idea how to fix it?
Did you see this information ?

Post in thread 'Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580'
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...olt-3-i5-10400-amd-rx-580.298642/post-2224970

I might ne completely wrong here but with that kind of behaviour you never know.
Did you test your RAM ?
My last build was behaving completely wrong and after many attempts to fix the software, it was indeed the hardware that was faulty.
My 2 cents.
I did make a lot of benchmarks, I don't really know what else to test. The system is really solid in everything else, including heavy duty rendering in pro apps.

I did make a lot of benchmarks, I don't really know what else to test. The system is really solid in everything else, including heavy duty rendering in pro apps.
Try testing your RAM with a specific app (I use to like rember but I am not sure it is still available for Big Sur).
Dis you try the NVRAM/PRAM reset ?

Try testing your RAM with a specific app (I use to like rember but I am not sure it is still available for Big Sur).
Dis you try the NVRAM/PRAM reset ?
I did try the NVRAM reset once after I upgraded to Big Sur and noticed the error. But not since then. Maybe I should try again. Is PRAM reset different?

Regarding the RAM test, does it acutally matter whether I test in macOS or in windows? I think I made the most benchmarks/tests in windows. In macOS i made the usual cinebench, disk speed test and geekbench. I will try "rember", but it looks like it's not been updated since 2010 :)

Yea I noticed that indeed. I actually followed those steps and went back to hfsplus instead of the open one. So I'm not sure why it doesn't work.
I’m sure you were thorough in updating config.plist, but I still need to ask:
  • Because the Zip files in this thread don’t support FileVault, what specific steps did you take to update your config.plist?
  • Because the system boots to the login screen, what happens when you enter your password and HOLD SHIFT KEY down when pressing Return to log in? This will prevent any previously open applications from reopening automatically.

Last edited:
It would have to be tested, but I don't think this is actually related to iCloud. I think as soon as one has pictures and videos in the Photo library, no matter where they come from, this daemon will start up and scan.

As you seem to use photo stream only, you shouldn't have any videos in your library and the mediaanalysisd would never come up.
It would be useful if some other users with complex photo libraries came up with their experiences. But this would be a separate thread then.

As for now, I will live with it and experiment a bit.

thanks.
media analysis daemon works on all media in Photos library. The word “media” includes photos, videos, time lapse photos (“Live Photos”), etc. My photo library contains hundreds of videos and hundreds of thousands of photos. It’s around 400GB.

I don’t disagree that there’s a bug in Photos. The bug has been known for months. It’s just a matter of how to work around it if possible. Or better yet, how to report it — if it’s reproducible on a real Mac.

Last edited:
I did try the NVRAM reset once after I upgraded to Big Sur and noticed the error. But not since then. Maybe I should try again. Is PRAM reset different?

Regarding the RAM test, does it acutally matter whether I test in macOS or in windows? I think I made the most benchmarks/tests in windows. In macOS i made the usual cinebench, disk speed test and geekbench. I will try "rember", but it looks like it's not been updated since 2010 :)
I am not an expert but I think that PRAM and NVRAM stores settings configuration data. However, PRAM stores more settings than NVRAM. SO yes, PRAM reset is different.

Regarding the RAM test, I don't see why it could be different using Windows or MacOS.
But use a specific app for testing your RAM.

media analysis daemon works on all media in Photos library. The word “media” includes photos, videos, time lapse photos (“Live Photos”), etc. My photo library contains hundreds of videos and hundreds of thousands of photos. It’s around 400GB.

I don’t disagree that there’s a bug in Photos. The bug has been known for months. It’s just a matter of how to work around it if possible. Or better yet, how to report it — if it’s reproducible on a real Mac.
Okay, that's a huge library compared to mine.

What I did now is importing my pictures shot with a Canon EOS from my internal harddisk (normal SATA disk), arround 4300 pictures and few videos. iCloud disabled and Copy items to the library also disabled.

And again it crashes in idle.

Okay, that's a huge library compared to mine.

What I did now is importing my pictures shot with a Canon EOS from my internal harddisk (normal SATA disk), arround 4300 pictures and few videos. iCloud disabled and Copy items to the library also disabled.

And again it crashes in idle.
Are you able to reproduce this same scenario on a real Mac? Perhaps a Mac owned by a family member or a friend if you don’t have one?

On the other hand, we initially thought the problem was related to particular GPUs. Some other suggestions:
  • In BIOS, is “Internal Graphics” set to “Enabled” (not Auto)?
  • I wonder if it’s worth removing the Vega and using iGPU with Platform ID 0x3E9B0007. But let’s check BIOS first, per first bullet.

Back