Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I’m sure you were thorough in updating config.plist, but I still need to ask:
  • Because the Zip files in this thread don’t support FileVault, what specific steps did you take to update your config.plist?
  • Because the system boots to the login screen, what happens when you enter your password and HOLD SHIFT KEY down when pressing Return to log in? This will prevent any previously open applications from reopening automatically.
I decided to make a new EFI, using your instructions again. Now it works. In my mind I didn't do anything different:
- used my OC 065 config, uploaded to HackinDrom, and selected your 066 version with GPU as I have a AMD card. Then generate.
- Then copy config to the 066 version I download from your 066 post.
- Opened it with OC Configurator, making sure I use my own SSDT: SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-FD-DEFINE-R6-USB2-ON-TB-V3(with Fenvi Bluetooth).aml
- Then I reinserted all AML files, Kext files and EFI (drivers) files.
- Double check my serial info is properly loaded, which was the case.
- Then copied the EFI folder to the EFI partition (before that I made sure the paste-bin was cleared).

What I did do this time with the my working OC066 file, is I used your HfsPlus.efi, instead of the one that was in my 065 folder. Did that matter?

BTW: when I do the OpenCore check in Opencore Configurator, it gives a red mark at "CrScreenshotDxe.efi should not be here!".

Hi @CaseySJ,

I just received my brand new Lacie 4To Mobile Drive with TB3 support over USB-C.

I bought a brand new (and expensive) TB3 cable but still no luck with my TB.

So here is my IOReg.

I am on F9i with the recommended BIOS settings - OC 0.6.6 and Big Sur 11.2.

Thanks for your help.
Hello @CaseySJ
Yesterday was especially busy for you, so I did not insist (and maybe, this post went under your radar).
Could you take a look to my IOREG file ?
Thanks.

Are you able to reproduce this same scenario on a real Mac? Perhaps a Mac owned by a family member or a friend if you don’t have one?

On the other hand, we initially thought the problem was related to particular GPUs. Some other suggestions:
  • In BIOS, is “Internal Graphics” set to “Enabled” (not Auto)?
  • I wonder if it’s worth removing the Vega and using iGPU with Platform ID 0x3E9B0007. But let’s check BIOS first, per first bullet.
The only relevant real Mac I have is a MacBook pro mid 2014. i7 CPU, iris Intel graphics, geForce 750M dedicated GPU. It still runs on latest Catalina version.

I deleted the Photo library file, then I synced with iCloud. I can see mediaanalysisd working togehter with photolibraryd, they use mostly the dedicated GPU and CPU. No crashes at all - but again, this might not be as representative hence two different OS versions. I didn't have any problems in my hackintosh under Catalina either.

Internal Graphics is enabled in BIOS. Not auto.

OMG, the next step would be taking the Vega64 out? My worst nightmare is becoming true :)

thx

At this time HackinDROM website only contains OpenCore config.plist files for:
  • Z390 Designare
  • Z490 Vision D
  • B550 Vision D
But it's easy to copy your PlatformInfo credentials from old config.plist to new config.plist. You can use ProperTree or BBEdit or PlistPro or any other plist editor to copy these items:
  1. SystemProductName (such as "iMac19,1" or "iMacPro1,1")
  2. MLB (Board Serial Number)
  3. SystemSerialNumber
  4. SystemUUID
  5. ROM
XML:
    <key>PlatformInfo</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Automatic</key>
        <true/>
        <key>CustomMemory</key>
        <false/>
        <key>Generic</key>
        <dict>
            <key>AdviseWindows</key>
            <false/>
            <key>MaxBIOSVersion</key>
            <false/>
            <key>MLB</key>
            <string>** Enter Board Serial Number **</string>
            <key>ProcessorType</key>
            <integer>0</integer>
            <key>ROM</key>
            <data>gM81kXtk</data>
            <key>SpoofVendor</key>
            <true/>
            <key>SystemMemoryStatus</key>
            <string>Auto</string>
            <key>SystemProductName</key>
            <string>iMac19,1</string>
            <key>SystemSerialNumber</key>
            <string>** Enter System Serial Number **</string>
            <key>SystemUUID</key>
            <string>** Enter System UUID **</string>
        </dict>
        <key>UpdateDataHub</key>
        <true/>
        <key>UpdateNVRAM</key>
        <true/>
        <key>UpdateSMBIOS</key>
        <true/>
        <key>UpdateSMBIOSMode</key>
        <string>Create</string>
    </dict>
Thanks Casey, i started over from scratch on my Extreme and hit a brick wall again. If there is anyone willing to share a working extreme EFI folder for the latest opencore i would be extremely thankful i could add my unique items as indicated above.. i hit the same issue installing on a brand new M2 that i saw before. I got to the installer it ran down to about 9 minutes remaining on the grey installer graphical screen then i get a rotating wheel like icon with no message and it reboots. If i restart the highlighted disk in the picker it comes back to the apple logo progress bar gets quickly up to about 1/2 and reboots with no messages over and over.
My backup disk now will run up to about 1/2 on the apple bar and stops HOWEVER the machine is available over the network with all the disks but VNC or screensharing will not work. I never hear the GPU fans spin up like you normally do right before the desktop appears either and of course it does not appear. I did have the backup disk plugged in for some of the work i've been doing so maybe i inadvertently messed it up. I reset my BIOS thinking that might be an issue. I have unhooked all disks etc. ... I finally yesterday plugged in my Win 10 disk and verified it boots and runs ok from the OC picker so i feel like the core PC hardware is good, i may flash the BIOS again. I also pulled the fenvi out and a 3rd party network adapter i was using for AVB audio.

BTW: when I do the OpenCore check in Opencore Configurator, it gives a red mark at "CrScreenshotDxe.efi should not be here!".
CrScreenshotDxe.efi is awesome. Do not get rid of it, but try this instead:
  • At the OpenCore Picker GUI, press F10
  • You will momentarily see a green dot on the upper left corner of the screen
  • Congrats, a screenshot has been taken and saved in the EFI partition
  • OpenCanopy in 0.6.6 even allows us to change the background image, which is just black by default, so this screenshot feature can even be used to show off custom backgrounds

Hello @CaseySJ
Yesterday was especially busy for you, so I did not insist (and maybe, this post went under your radar).
Could you take a look to my IOREG file ?
Thanks.
Apologies for the delay; got sidetracked by the release of OC 0.6.6. The LaCie Mobile 4TB drive you mentioned appears to be a USB 3 device with a USB-C port. Some questions:
  • Does your computer have a USB-C port on the front of the case?
    • If so, does the drive connect to that port?
  • Are you using the USB-C to USB-C cable that came with the drive?
    • When you connect that cable to the rear Thunderbolt ports, does the drive connect and appear on the desktop?
    • Most USB-C to USB-C cables only support USB 2.0 data protocol, which is why it's important to use a USB-C cable that is specifically certified for USB 3.0. The cable that accompanied the LaCie drive should be a USB 3 certified cable.

The only relevant real Mac I have is a MacBook pro mid 2014. i7 CPU, iris Intel graphics, geForce 750M dedicated GPU. It still runs on latest Catalina version.

I deleted the Photo library file, then I synced with iCloud. I can see mediaanalysisd working togehter with photolibraryd, they use mostly the dedicated GPU and CPU. No crashes at all - but again, this might not be as representative hence two different OS versions. I didn't have any problems in my hackintosh under Catalina either.

Internal Graphics is enabled in BIOS. Not auto.

OMG, the next step would be taking the Vega64 out? My worst nightmare is becoming true :)

thx
When this problem was first encountered (it was with Catalina), the suspect was AMD RX 5000-series GPUs. But Vega GPUs were fine. The idea to disconnect Vega is purely speculative, but sometimes we have to apply the process of elimination. It's not necessary to physically remove the Vega; we can simply shutdown the system completely (including power switch on PSU) then remove the PCIe power cables from the Vega.

But before we do that, it will be necessary to transfer your serial numbers into config-Intel-iGPU.plist. This can be done through HackinDROM's CopyConfig feature. Simply backup or rename your current config.plist and use the new one downloaded from HackinDROM. Then shutdown the system, pull power cables from Vega, connect monitor to on-board HDMI port, and boot.

It would be best to copy the entire EFI folder to a USB Flash Disk and make changes to the EFI partition of that USB disk. This avoids any changes to the internal macOS SSD.

** Mini-Guide: Upgrading to macOS 11.0.x Big Sur from macOS 10.15.x Catalina **
Thanks again @CaseySJ! I've once again followed your guides to update my Z390 system to Big Sur. I first followed your OpenCore guide to switch from Clover to OpenCore (I should have known to start with your thread as I spent a day trying to get past a black screen by trying to build my OpenCore EFI myself). I needed your downloaded OpenCore as a starting point. Then I did a simple in place upgrade to 11.2 from my Catalina install.

Everything I use regularly is fully working.

Last edited:
Back