Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

** Successor to Titan Ridge is Maple Ridge **

The venerable Titan Ridge Thunderbolt controller (JHL 7540) on the Z390 Designare, Z490 Vision D, B550 Vision D, GC-Titan Ridge, and other recent boards now has a successor:
  • Name: Maple Ridge
  • Controller or chip ID: JHL 8540
  • Device ID: 0x1137
  • Supports: Thunderbolt 4

Last edited:
Thanks Casey - I will try both files tonight and report back.

Yes, the Alpine Ridge is version 2.0(say so on the box, : ) ). My Z390 Gaming M Bios version is F9L.

The Alpine Ridge card is plugged into PCIEX4. I would assume that is the bottom long slot. My board is mounted horizontal so it would be the bottom slot if mounted vertically.

Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 4.51.33 PM.png

According to Amazon reviews, this card is natively supported in macOS. However, please try adding AirportBrcmFixup.kext. If you're using Clover you can just copy the file into CLOVER/kexts/Other.

I am using Opencore 0.6.4 - will this process be the same and where would I find this kext?

Let me get this straight. You're using two of these 2-bay enclosures with one drive in each. Hence two USB connections, but the two drives are bound together in a RAID0 span? Ouch!! Have you tried mounting the two drives internally to the SATA bus?

Almost correct. Using two of these 2 bay enclosures (Not exactly the same as the link), two drives in each, two usb connections with the four drives bound together in a raid0 span. Yes the drives mount fine over sata and they also mount find and reach expected performance using some combinations of the usb ports. Other combinations of usb ports do mount as well, but cause the system to freeze completely when read or write to/from the raid is started. Hard reset required. For example, using both of the USB3.1 ports works no problem, but using one of the USB3.0 front ports and one USB3.0 at the back does not. One USB3.0 and one USB3.1 also causes the system to freeze.

Thank you very much for your feedback Casey - much appreciated!

@CaseySJ -Regarding my Identical in every way but the Z370 and the i7 8700K:

Besides changing out the USB patch, TB patch, and the serials/mlb/rom/smuuid, is there any reason why the latest OC 064 EFI for this Z390 wouldn't work on a clean install of Mojave? I'm trying to avoid going back to Clover for just the Z370.

Attachments

• EFI Z390 Z370_iMP_Some items commented out.zip
    4.9 MB · Views: 31
That looks okay. Please try this:
  • Boot into High Sierra through Clover.
  • Type the following in Terminal:
Bash:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /
  • Reboot and login in again through Clover to make sure everything is okay.
  • Then try booting through OpenCore on the USB flash disk.

Thanks a lot @CaseySJ ! I tried that, but unfortunately it did not work. It is pretty strange that the same UFI folder works fine on a fresh Catalina install. Just can't replace clover with it on High Sierra ... Wondering what Clover is doing so different.

Thanks a lot @CaseySJ ! I tried that, but unfortunately it did not work. It is pretty strange that the same UFI folder works fine on a fresh Catalina install. Just can't replace clover with it on High Sierra ... Wondering what Clover is doing so different.
One or more of the kexts in the OpenCore folder might be compiled with libraries that do not work on High Sierra. A clean installation of Catalina is the better option because that avoids bringing a lot of “baggage” from High Sierra. That’s what I did when I jumped from my 2008 Mac Pro to the Z390 Designare in late 2018.

Migration Assistant should be avoided as well. It’s best to reinstall the apps and plugins, and to copy documents manually.

However, if it’s truly necessary to do an in-place upgrade, it would be best to stay on Clover, upgrade to Mojave, and then follow the Mojave-to-Catalina upgrade mini-guide.

Hey guys! Thank you for this amazing guide.

I'm contemplating if it would be possible to create a custom SDDT for devices that have an alpine ridge controller JHL6240 but just with one tb3 port.

Could that be achieved? I have no idea since I haven't seen any macs with just one TB3 port.

Hey guys! Thank you for this amazing guide.

I'm contemplating if it would be possible to create a custom SDDT for devices that have an alpine ridge controller JHL6240 but just with one tb3 port.

Could that be achieved? I have no idea since I haven't seen any macs with just one TB3 port.
This should not be a problem. In fact you can even try the standard SSDT for GC-Alpine Ridge. We can also remove 3 items from the SSDT to adapt it for a single-port system. If you would like to try that, please download and run IORegistryExplorer then select File --> Save As... and post the saved file.

Back