Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

It should be possible to upgrade directly from High Sierra to Catalina. You may keep the system name as iMac14,2 and consider changing it after the upgrade is done and a full backup has been made. To change the name, just change the name (leaving everything else intact). :) But monitor the system for a few days to see if there's any odd behavior. iCloud will work, but it is a good to log out of iCloud before starting the upgrade and de-registering the computer from your iCloud account. Then start the Catalina upgrade and log back into iCloud when it's fully installed.

@CaseySJ , I got stuck at replacing Clover with OC. Would really appreciate your help. In order to stay with working High Sierra install I made clones of my system drive and users homes drive including Clover EFI partition. I can easily boot into a cloned environment using Clover. I was following mini guide to replace Clover with OC (I use 0.6.3). But after booting from OC on USB (with all the transferred system name, serial number, system UUID, board serial number and ROM from Clover) it enters some endless pattern that loops and never exists. I observed it for 24 hours. The line ‘InstallGTK: GTK installed’ can represent one of the main loops in the screen shot attached.

My High Sierra is still on HFS rather than on APFS. However I have also tried cloning my current install in to APFS formatted drives, but unfortunately with the same results with endless ‘InstallGTK: GTK installed’ loops.

@CaseySJ , just wondering what I may be missing here? I used 'kextcache -i /' output to clean my /L/E. It found a couple of more (Microsoft) kexts in addition to your list including the one in /S/L/E . Here is my ‘clean’ /L/E folder. I can easily boot with just those (default) kexts below using Clover, but not OC.

ACS6x.kext
ATTOExpressSASRAID2.kext
DuetUSBOverideDriver.kext
PlantronicsDriverShield.kext
ATTOCelerityFC8.kext
ArcMSR.kext
HighPointIOP.kext
PromiseSTEX.kext
ATTOExpressSASHBA2.kext
CalDigitHDProDrv.kext
HighPointRR.kext
SoftRAID.kext

Thank you for all your help!

Attachments

• IMG_7870.jpg
    IMG_7870.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 35
The same does not work USB-C:banghead:
Please try the following:
  1. Cold boot. This means shutting down the system and flipping power switch on PSU to off for 10 seconds. Then turn the system back on and check USB-C again.
  2. If that does not work, disable or remove the Thunderbolt SSDT and reboot. Check if the USB-C ports appear.
  3. Also double check Thunderbolt settings in BIOS.

CaseySJ,

I picked up this "OCS: Failed to Calculate Size" error (see below) after my update to OpenCore 0.6.4.
Obviously has to do with the "BootChime" which I enabled at the same time. I'm sure it's trivial, but can't seem to get rid of it.

Thanks once again for your invaluable contribution to this group.

Happy Holidays!!

Attachments

• IMG_5052.jpeg
    IMG_5052.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 51
I picked up this "OCS: Failed to Calculate Size" error (see below) after my update to OpenCore 0.6.4.
Obviously has to do with the "BootChime" which I enabled at the same time. I'm sure it's trivial, but can't seem to get rid of it.

You need to change UEFI>Audio>PlayChime to be a String with a value of Auto

Finally upgraded from Mojave to Big Sur a few nights ago. Initial thoughts are - def a worthwhile upgrade!

It was a bit of a pain in the butt swapping the bootloader over only because I was still using an experimental config/setup left over from fighting those nasty USB issues early on (and never changed it out once I got the system stabilized, fearing changing it would potentially de-activate a lot of the audio software I use).

Once I managed to finally get OC 0.6.4 to properly boot/load Mojave, the rest of the upgrade was a piece of cake with only minimal incompatible software (mostly a few old plugins, no real surprise).

A lot of the weird random issues I was experiencing on Mojave seem to be finally cleared up in Big Sur, and the Radeon VII drivers seem to be greatly optimized compared to Mojave's version as well. The random 'GUI sluggishness/lag' I was experiencing seems to be resolved, and the random iMessage issues I was fighting on both Mojave (as well as my trial installs of Catalina) are also seemingly a thing of the past.

Glad to have finally upgraded. Always sketchy doing upgrades to a fairly stable system you depend on, but...it's def proven to be a worthwhile upgrade. I don't think I've had a system this fluid or stable since High Sierra, and this has already proven to have less bugs/issues than my HS ever did.

@nottooshabby

Hey there! Just noticed you're having issues with your ATD.
Decided to share my experience with it.

I'm succesfully using Apple Thunderbolt Display with Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro motherboard and GC-Alpine Ridge card (via default Apple TB3/TB2 adapter) since 2019. Never had any problems or issues with it in this configuration.

All functions remain active after waking system from sleep.
USB ports, camera, sound everything works fine.

My GC-Alpine Ridge is not flashed, straight out-of-the-box.
I'm attaching the SSDT I use for it. Hope it might help.

Attachments

• SSDT-TBTALPIN.aml
    2.1 KB · Views: 43
@nottooshabby

Hey there! Just noticed you're having issues with your ATD.
Decided to share my experience with it.

I'm succesfully using Apple Thunderbolt Display with Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro motherboard and GC-Alpine Ridge card (via default Apple TB3/TB2 adapter) since 2019. Never had any problems or issues with it in this configuration.

All functions remain active after waking system from sleep.
USB ports, camera, sound everything works fine.

My GC-Alpine Ridge is not flashed, straight out-of-the-box.
I'm attaching the SSDT I use for it. Hope it might help.

Thanks. I'll try it tonight! Do you know if your AR is Rev 1.0 or 2.0? Mine is 2.0(just got it from Amazon).

Thanks. I'll try it tonight! Do you know if your AR is Rev 1.0 or 2.0? Mine is 2.0(just got it from Amazon).
Please try @AlexD's SSDT (attached below with RP21 changed to RP05 for your system). I was not aware that GC-Alpine Ridge came in Version 2. Are you referring instead to GC-Titan Ridge v2.0? In any event, the SSDT should work equally for either V1 or V2.

Also feel free to try enabling Thunderbolt Bus by following the instructions here:

The SSDT to download is the last one at the bottom of the above post, named SSDT-TbtOnPch-Gigabyte-Z390-GAMING-M.aml. Only one Thunderbolt SSDT can be used at a time, so the previous (current) version must be removed or disabled.

Finally: which slot is the GC-Alpine Ridge installed in? Is it in the bottom long slot?

Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 3.11.36 PM.png

Attachments

• SSDT-TBTALPIN.aml
    2.1 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
@CaseySJ , I got stuck at replacing Clover with OC. Would really appreciate your help. In order to stay with working High Sierra install I made clones of my system drive and users homes drive including Clover EFI partition. I can easily boot into a cloned environment using Clover. I was following mini guide to replace Clover with OC (I use 0.6.3). But after booting from OC on USB (with all the transferred system name, serial number, system UUID, board serial number and ROM from Clover) it enters some endless pattern that loops and never exists. I observed it for 24 hours. The line ‘InstallGTK: GTK installed’ can represent one of the main loops in the screen shot attached.

My High Sierra is still on HFS rather than on APFS. However I have also tried cloning my current install in to APFS formatted drives, but unfortunately with the same results with endless ‘InstallGTK: GTK installed’ loops.

@CaseySJ , just wondering what I may be missing here? I used 'kextcache -i /' output to clean my /L/E. It found a couple of more (Microsoft) kexts in addition to your list including the one in /S/L/E . Here is my ‘clean’ /L/E folder. I can easily boot with just those (default) kexts below using Clover, but not OC.

ACS6x.kext
ATTOExpressSASRAID2.kext
DuetUSBOverideDriver.kext
PlantronicsDriverShield.kext
ATTOCelerityFC8.kext
ArcMSR.kext
HighPointIOP.kext
PromiseSTEX.kext
ATTOExpressSASHBA2.kext
CalDigitHDProDrv.kext
HighPointRR.kext
SoftRAID.kext

Thank you for all your help!
That looks okay. Please try this:
  • Boot into High Sierra through Clover.
  • Type the following in Terminal:
Bash:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /
  • Reboot and login in again through Clover to make sure everything is okay.
  • Then try booting through OpenCore on the USB flash disk.

Back