Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hap
The SSDT is properly activated, but because this is an AMD Threadripper system, please try the following:
  • Connect a Thunderbolt 3 dock to the TRX40 motherboard (if you have a TB3 dock) to see if it works.
  • Or connect a different, but "simple" Thunderbolt 3 device (one that does not require drivers).
  • Perform a Hardware Reset on the UAD Device.
  • Update the UAD's on-board firmware to latest version (by connecting UAD device to a Windows or Mac or Hack that works).
  • Also install the latest UAD drivers on the Hackintosh.
The problem you are experiencing with the UAD is not due to the SSDT because Thunderbolt is operational. The changes I suggested to Thunderbolt DROM are not necessary; just nice to have. This is why it's important to connect a "simple" Thunderbolt 2 or Thunderbolt 3 device to check whether it works.

Thunderbolt on AMD systems can be very finicky. Very very finicky!
Happy to report that it’s working! I just connected it via windows and updated the firmware, done a hardware reset and then it connected first time in Mac. Very happy, thanks for your help!

It depends on what the yellow question marks refer to, but in general it's best not to make any changes. Some of the suggestions in the Sanity Checker reflect their personal preference (i.e. Coke versus Pepsi). If the system is running properly, we should leave it as-is.

I'm using SwitchResX on my B550 Vision D with an older AMD R9 380X GPU connected to a 4K Asus Designo monitor. SwitchResX is a godsend for issues like this and a perfectly good long-term solution. Others are also using SwitchResX with different monitors. I don't recall any specific mention of a 5K monitor, however.
Great, Im attaching the changes Sanity checker report just to be sure.
Big Sur in my opinion is amazing in performance. The systems are much more snappy and I saw a gain in performance also. Very happy so far! The issues I had before with my main system were due to my 2nd ssd that had windows 10. I disabled this ssd from bios and then did a fresh installation with Big Sur. From my perspective it seems very easy to have issues with macOS while you have a 2nd drive with win10. I would like to have a 2nd OS just in case but from all of these I have been through last months I don't want to try again.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-12-22 at 11.36.09 PM.png
    Screenshot 2020-12-22 at 11.36.09 PM.png
    238.6 KB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot 2020-12-22 at 11.36.18 PM.png
    Screenshot 2020-12-22 at 11.36.18 PM.png
    239 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot 2020-12-22 at 11.36.32 PM.png
    Screenshot 2020-12-22 at 11.36.32 PM.png
    309.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot 2020-12-22 at 11.36.45 PM.png
    Screenshot 2020-12-22 at 11.36.45 PM.png
    46.7 KB · Views: 37
  • What is the make/model of your motherboard?
  • ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS
  • What is the make/model of your Thunderbolt card (if you are using a PCIe add-in-card)?
  • GIGABYTE GC-TITAN RIDGE rev.1.0 PCI CARD
  • What version of macOS are you running on the Hackintosh?
  • Big Sur - iMacPro
  • Please post the Thunderbolt SSDT that you're using.
  • Thank you for helping!
Please try the attached SSDT.
  • If you're using Clover, move the existing SSDT (SSDT-TBOLT3.aml) to a temporary location such as your Documents folder. Then copy that attached file to the CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder and reboot.
  • If you're using OpenCore, uncheck (disable) the existing SSDT (SSDT-TBOLT3.aml) from the ACPI section of config.plist, copy the attached file to OC/ACPI folder, and add a new entry for it in ACPI section of config.plist. Then reboot.
After rebooting please run IORegistryExplorer and scroll down to NPE7 and post a screenshot.

Attachments

• SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM.aml
    2.1 KB · Views: 43
Thank you for the response CaseySJ!

I am unfortunately not too sure how to tell which module is used in the card :/ From some random research I have found that it may be the Atheros AR9380 Chip? Does that sound right? This is a link to the spec sheet of the card:
https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/pci-adapter/tl-wdn4800/#specifications.
I can indeed try AirportBrcmFixup.kext. Do I just place it into the kext folder in the efi partition of the system drive and thats it?
According to Amazon reviews, this card is natively supported in macOS. However, please try adding AirportBrcmFixup.kext. If you're using Clover you can just copy the file into CLOVER/kexts/Other.

The 4-bay enclosure is a custom build that ive housed myself with two of these, using software raid in disk utility - has worked well for years on my previous hack and many other systems so far and gets 750 odd MB/s R/W
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WS59SP4/?tag=tonymacx86com-20.
Let me get this straight. You're using two of these 2-bay enclosures with one drive in each. Hence two USB connections, but the two drives are bound together in a RAID0 span? Ouch!! Have you tried mounting the two drives internally to the SATA bus?

Great, Im attaching the changes Sanity checker report just to be sure.
Big Sur in my opinion is amazing in performance. The systems are much more snappy and I saw a gain in performance also. Very happy so far! The issues I had before with my main system were due to my 2nd ssd that had windows 10. I disabled this ssd from bios and then did a fresh installation with Big Sur. From my perspective it seems very easy to have issues with macOS while you have a 2nd drive with win10. I would like to have a 2nd OS just in case but from all of these I have been through last months I don't want to try again.
Let me respond to each item:
  • ACPI : SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-TB3HP-V4.aml enables Thunderbolt hot plug. It is enabled by default in this guide. However, you might have disabled it intentionally in response to some issues with the 5K Thunderbolt monitor?
  • Booter Quirks --> EnableWriteUnprotector : It might be better to change this to No as recommended by Dortania. Please make this change and see if everything's okay. I'll also test this in time for OpenCore 0.6.5.
  • Device Properties : ig-platform-id 0300983e is correct.
  • Boot --> Poll Apple Hotkeys : I have not tested both Yes and No. However, try setting it to No, then reboot and see if OpenCore Picker still accepts commands such as CMD-V to toggle verbose mode. I'll also test this in time for OpenCore 0.6.5.
  • Boot --> Picker Mode --> External : This is correct.
  • Boot --> Hide Auxiliary --> Yes : This is correct.
  • Debug --> Apple Debug : Can be set to Yes if using Catalina or newer. It is set to No for benefit of Mojave users.
  • Debug --> Apple Panic : Can be set to Yes if using Catalina or newer. It is set to No for benefit of Mojave users.
  • Security --> Blacklist Apple Update : For Big Sur we should set it to Yes.
  • Drivers --> CrScreenshotDxe.efi : This allows us to capture screenshots in OpenCore Picker. It should be there.

Last edited:
Because you're using a GC-Alpine Ridge card, it is possible to enable Thunderbolt Bus with just an SSDT. Have you already tried that?

Thanks for the reply. I created the SSDT using the HackinDROM website and added it to my OC configuration along with the SSDT-DTPG.aml files. Are these sufficient to enable the Thunderbolt bus?

Also attached is my IORegistry before and after sleep. After sleep, DSB4@4 disappears which causes me to lose the speakers and camera on my Apple TBD.

Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 5.24.12 AM.png

Attachments

• SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM.aml
    2.2 KB · Views: 33
  • SSDT-DTPG.aml
    100 bytes · Views: 30
  • NTS_IO_Reg_after_sleep.ioreg
    32.7 MB · Views: 32
  • NTS_IO_Registry.ioreg
    33.4 MB · Views: 34
Let me respond to each item:
  • ACPI : SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-TB3HP-V4.aml enables Thunderbolt hot plug. It is enabled by default in this guide. However, you might have disabled it intentionally in response to some issues with the 5K Thunderbolt monitor?
  • Booter Quirks --> EnableWriteUnprotector : It might be better to change this to No as recommended by Dortania. Please make this change and see if everything's okay. I'll also test this in time for OpenCore 0.6.5.
  • Device Properties : ig-platform-id 0300983e is correct.
  • Boot --> Poll Apple Hotkeys : I have not tested both Yes and No. However, try setting it to No, then reboot and see if OpenCore Picker still accepts commands such as CMD-V to toggle verbose mode. I'll also test this in time for OpenCore 0.6.5.
  • Boot --> Picker Mode --> External : This is correct.
  • Boot --> Hide Auxiliary --> Yes : This is correct.
  • Debug --> Apple Debug : Can be set to Yes if using Catalina or newer. It is set to No for benefit of Mojave users.
  • Debug --> Apple Panic : Can be set to Yes if using Catalina or newer. It is set to No for benefit of Mojave users.
  • Security --> Blacklist Apple Update : For Big Sur we should set it to Yes.
  • Drivers --> CrScreenshotDxe.efi : This allows us to capture screenshots in OpenCore Picker. It should be there.
Quick Update:
  • PollAppleHotkeys must be Yes (same as current setting), otherwise hotkeys such as CMD-V to enable Verbose mode do not work. So no change needed here.
  • EnableWriteUnprotector can be Unchecked. The system boots fine either way, but to be safe we should uncheck this. This change will be made to the OpenCore 0.6.5 EFI zip file in early January.

Thanks for the reply. I created the SSDT using the HackinDROM website and added it to my OC configuration along with the SSDT-DTPG.aml files. Are these sufficient to enable the Thunderbolt bus?

Also attached is my IORegistry before and after sleep. After sleep, DSB4@4 disappears which causes me to lose the speakers and camera on my Apple TBD.

View attachment 502033
To enable Thunderbolt Bus for Alpine Ridge, we need to use a vastly different SSDT. Please provide the System DSDT from MaciASL (save the file in .aml format and post). No guarantees that Apple Thunderbolt Display will be any more or less reliable, but it's worth trying.

To enable Thunderbolt Bus for Alpine Ridge, we need to use a vastly different SSDT. Please provide the System DSDT from MaciASL (save the file in .aml format and post). No guarantees that Apple Thunderbolt Display will be any more or less reliable, but it's worth trying.

Awesome. Thanks for the help.

Hopefully this is what you need. I used the DSDT dump approach described in the OpenCore guide.

I did try to follow your instructions and use MaciASL->New from ACPI->DSDT, but I couldn't save it as an aml file. It gave me compilation errors.

Attachments

• NTS_DSDT.aml
    258.9 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Please try the attached SSDT.
  • If you're using Clover, move the existing SSDT (SSDT-TBOLT3.aml) to a temporary location such as your Documents folder. Then copy that attached file to the CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder and reboot.
  • If you're using OpenCore, uncheck (disable) the existing SSDT (SSDT-TBOLT3.aml) from the ACPI section of config.plist, copy the attached file to OC/ACPI folder, and add a new entry for it in ACPI section of config.plist. Then reboot.
After rebooting please run IORegistryExplorer and scroll down to NPE7 and post a screenshot.
The same does not work USB-C:banghead:

Attachments

• 2020-12-23 в 06.35.22.png
    2020-12-23 в 06.35.22.png
    418.9 KB · Views: 35
Back