Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

The motherboard is Alpine Ridge, but using the Titan Ridge SSDT also allowed the Antelope device to show up in the IOREG, as well as USB-C (no hot plug). I’m using High Sierra, looks like its the best OS to stick with for old and new devicies. BTW, Antelope working fine thru TB in Win 10, Antelope’s software just isn't full-featured on windows.
If the Antelope device is not working in High Sierra, then we try enabling Thunderbolt Bus. I must warn you, however, of the following possible (and very likely) side-effects:
  • Hot plug may not work on cold boot, but may require one warm reboot.
  • Sleep and wake may or may not be reliable.
  • Some devices may only work when connected prior to boot.
If you would like to proceed, please post the following files:
  • IOReg file from IORegistryExplorer
  • System DSDT by running MaciASL

in my experience, 5 beeps can also mean no display detected.

Never experienced that. It has to work even without display. Anyway the warranty service confirmed that MB is dead.

I did do a clean BIOS settings before the setup with the settings from the post 1, starting with "load optimized defaults". I just restarted to BIOS (F9g) a minute ago and "somehow" Thunderbolt is missing from Settings -> IO section, normally it should be above USB Config., but it's not there. I hope it's something can be fixed with a CMOS reset or so. What should I do?

I just reloaded a working BIOS profile before (same as post 1), and Thunderbolt TM Configuration is where it should be. But after setting that (No Security, GPIO3 Force Pwr enabled), I still can't see the Thunderbolt in PCI or in IORegistryExplorer.
Has your Thunderbolt firmware been flashed? Or is it still the original firmware?

Also, please post the IOReg file (IORegistryExplorer --> File --> Save As...) so we can confirm whether or not Thunderbolt is visible to macOS.

Has your Thunderbolt firmware been flashed? Or is it still the original firmware?

Also, please post the IOReg file (IORegistryExplorer --> File --> Save As...) so we can confirm whether or not Thunderbolt is visible to macOS.
It is still the original firmware F9g without any modifications. With the last post, I updated the BIOS and after restart Thunderbolt TM Config. was missing again, loaded the profile again, changed No Security and saved. I'm not sure why it's keeping disappearing and BIOS settings are changing.

Here is the IOReg file, I can see the SSP01 and SSP02 in device information under RP05 but no Thunderbolt node, as far as I can understand.

Attachments

• imac.ioreg
    16.8 MB · Views: 33
It is still the original firmware F9g without any modifications. With the last post, I updated the BIOS and after restart Thunderbolt TM Config. was missing again, loaded the profile again, changed No Security and saved. I'm not sure why it's keeping disappearing and BIOS settings are changing.

Here is the IOReg file, I can see the SSP01 and SSP02 in device information under RP05 but no Thunderbolt node, as far as I can understand.
Some comments:
  • Please do a CMOS Reset by following the procedure in manual. Among other things, this will reset BIOS parameters to default values.
  • Then configure BIOS parameters from the beginning, starting with F7 (Load Optimized Defaults). Do not load a previously saved BIOS profile.
  • BIOS settings are listed in Post #1.
  • If you still don't see Thunderbolt parameters in BIOS Setup, please let us know. It may then be necessary to contact Gigabyte Tech Support.

I've enclosed a screenshot of how my TB local node displays if that helps. When I change the BIOS or reset the CMOS, I always shut down my TB devices, also disconnecting all TB cables that may be maintaining some sort of hold over the previous system or setup. I had to do it when I upgraded to OC 0.6.4 from 0.6.3 in order to get my external TB devices back: I also reset my CMOS and reconfigured my F9i BIOS settings. Everything works from the Casey patches. The onboard TB has not been flashed.

Attachments

• My_RP05 Thunderbolt Node.png
    My_RP05 Thunderbolt Node.png
    118.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IO Screen Shot after I flip the power off to the Apollo 8.png
    IO Screen Shot after I flip the power off to the Apollo 8.png
    894.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IO Screen Shot after I flip the power back on to the Apollo 8.png
    IO Screen Shot after I flip the power back on to the Apollo 8.png
    943.3 KB · Views: 42
  • Kexts for Mojave and OC 0.6.4.png
    Kexts for Mojave and OC 0.6.4.png
    52.8 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Some comments:
  • Please do a CMOS Reset by following the procedure in manual. Among other things, this will reset BIOS parameters to default values.
  • Then configure BIOS parameters from the beginning, starting with F7 (Load Optimized Defaults). Do not load a previously saved BIOS profile.
  • BIOS settings are listed in Post #1.
  • If you still don't see Thunderbolt parameters in BIOS Setup, please let us know. It may then be necessary to contact Gigabyte Tech Support.

Yeah, CMOS Reset did the trick (then F7 and BIOS settings from #1), now PCI panel shows;
  • Intel JHC7540 Titan Ridge Thunderbolt 3 NHI
  • Intel JHC7540 Titan Ridge USB 3.1
  • pci11c1,5901 (Thunderbolt Firewire)
and my Firewire Audio Interface is now working.
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 with MixControl 3.9 version works in Catalina, and now Big Sur confirmed... but I had to install the driver again and restart, even if the same software was already installed. But I'm really happy not to buy a new audio interface, as this is a really good one apart from being discontinued. Focusrite team did a good job releasing the final firmware/driver for Catalina (and luckily works in Big Sur).

One thing left for me is the dual-boot. I took out the Win10 NVME from M2M port until everything works, and now it's time to connect it back to M2M. Is there anything I have to change? I checked on config.plist "Bootstrap" option is already checked, so that will be enough I think. Is it?

Thanks again CaseySJ, looks like everything works now with Big Sur. I will regularly check the guides in the first days/weeks of every month so I can keep it up to date.

Hi @CaseySJ

I still can't get 40x1 to work: I tried SSDT in #28278 also I tried dolgarrenan's SSDT in the X299X thread but still the same issue. Could you take a look at my EFI and give me some advices? Thanks!

Thanks! I have TB3 raid drive so I need to enable full TB3 function.
I'll give a try on X299X with flashed modified Z390 Designare firmware with the SSDT in post #28278

Attachments

• EFI_TB3_debug.zip
    18.9 MB · Views: 35
If the Antelope device is not working in High Sierra, then we try enabling Thunderbolt Bus. I must warn you, however, of the following possible (and very likely) side-effects:
  • Hot plug may not work on cold boot, but may require one warm reboot.
  • Sleep and wake may or may not be reliable.
  • Some devices may only work when connected prior to boot.
If you would like to proceed, please post the following files:
  • IOReg file from IORegistryExplorer
  • System DSDT by running MaciASL
Here are the files.

Attachments

• Blackintosh.ioreg
    5.7 MB · Views: 29
  • System DSDT.dsl
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
So if you have a powerful GPU, you may gain some speed during the rendering portion of H.264 Export, but you will lose significant time during the sequential encoding process without QuickSync.
Also very late post just to agree with you. Those engaged in (especially) 3d rendering in Maya, Blender et al, really: You should be getting savvy with command line rendering. Forcing your GPU to render is not how it's done. In Maya and I am sure in Blender and such you can calculate Motion Blur and post process that - Maya will output the Frame without Blur, but it will also spit out a folder containing the vector info. Using this post processing the motion blur from small to extreme is easy, plus you do NOT need to RE-RENDER because you want more or less blur. Just set it up in the post process. Use the CPU. Get things done faster and more flexibly.
Also programs such as Logic Audio (ProX and before) actually use the GPU for more grunt. Stealing GPU power in an audio program seems to my Lay-Brain ridiculous, but I know they still do as I could make my MacBookPro fall over in Logic by opening a qraphical EQ (one with realtime frequency curves updating. They used to state this, but no longer do.

Maybe this will help someone with their set up< maybe..lol, but I thought I would offer it anyhow.

T xx

Last edited:
Back