Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hello.
New installation fallowing the opencore 6.0 method for the gigabyte designare z390.
install was perfect. but i am getting ramdom freezes.
any suggestions?
Glad to hear that the installation with OpenCore 0.6.0 (not 6.0) went well. However, when you say you're getting "random freezes", there is not enough information to provide any meaningful reply. This is like calling a doctor on the phone and saying "I have some pain. Fix me."

What do you think the doctor is going to say in return?

So what do you think I am going to ask you in return?

Dortania and others are now recommending Windows 8/10 when using OpenCore. This is good for dual boot systems. Also, all of the SSDTs now contain:
Code:
if (_OSI("Darwin"))
{
   // then do stuff for Mac
}
else
{
  // do stuff for other OS's
}
... which better supports multiple operating systems.

Please forgive my ignorance, but does this SSDT change essentially obviate the need to use NDK if you're a dual boot Windows user?

With my Opencore 0.6.0 installation, I use the Define R6 SSDT (SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-FD-DEFINE-R6-V3.aml) and the RX580 in slot 2 SSDT (SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-RX580-SLOT2-V2.aml) originally found in my Clover installation. Have these been updated (do they need to be updated?) with the changes you mention above?

I boot Windows via BIOS and bypass OpenCore, which works okay - but it would be nice to not have to do that with standard OpenCore.

Please forgive my ignorance, but does this SSDT change essentially obviate the need to use NDK if you're a dual boot Windows user?

With my Opencore 0.6.0 installation, I use the Define R6 SSDT (SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-FD-DEFINE-R6-V3.aml) and the RX580 in slot 2 SSDT (SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-RX580-SLOT2-V2.aml) originally found in my Clover installation. Have these been updated (do they need to be updated?) with the changes you mention above?

I boot Windows via BIOS and bypass OpenCore, which works okay - but it would be nice to not have to do that with standard OpenCore.
The USB SSDT (SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-...) does not affect Windows because this SSDT defines a new device that only USBInjectAll.kext recognizes. Because this kext is obviously not used in Windows, therefore the USB SSDT is also not used in Windows.

The second SSDT (SSDT-Z390-DESGINARE-RX580-SLOT2-V2.aml) inserts cosmetic (non-functional) device properties so it should be okay in both macOS and Windows.

The reason we used NDK fork of OpenCore "way back when" was because at the time standard OpenCore did not support booting Windows. But now it does, so the rationale for continuing to use the NDK fork is diminished. The NDK fork does, however, provide a really nice Picker GUI that I prefer over OpenCanopy. But alas the developer has not updated the code (there's a separate repository just for the NDK Picker) in several months.

Glad to hear that the installation with OpenCore 0.6.0 (not 6.0) went well. However, when you say you're getting "random freezes", there is not enough information to provide any meaningful reply. This is like calling a doctor on the phone and saying "I have some pain. Fix me."

What do you think the doctor is going to say in return?

So what do you think I am going to ask you in return?
This happens in the first 10 min.
Please tell me what u need to know.
i have no idea.

The USB SSDT (SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-...) does not affect Windows because this SSDT defines a new device that only USBInjectAll.kext recognizes. Because this kext is obviously not used in Windows, therefore the USB SSDT is also not used in Windows.

The second SSDT (SSDT-Z390-DESGINARE-RX580-SLOT2-V2.aml) inserts cosmetic (non-functional) device properties so it should be okay in both macOS and Windows.

Okay! Thank you for the clarification.

The reason we used NDK fork of OpenCore "way back when" was because at the time standard OpenCore did not support booting Windows. But now it does, so the rationale for continuing to use the NDK fork is diminished. The NDK fork does, however, provide a really nice Picker GUI that I prefer over OpenCanopy. But alas the developer has not updated the code (there's a separate repository just for the NDK Picker) in several months.

I am still hesitant to use the regular version of OpenCore standard to boot Windows because the hardware shows up differently. For example, using OpenCore, the motherboard manufacturer is "Acidanthera", Model "Mac-AA*", Version "iMac19,1". That by itself isn't a problem, but I worry that my Windows license will invalidate itself because of what appears to be a significant change in hardware. I didn't see that when using NDK.

Are my licensing worries misplaced?

This happens in the first 10 min.
Please tell me what u need to know.
i have no idea.
  1. What components are in your system?
    • Make/model of GPU
    • Make/model of NVMe SSD(s)
    • Make/model of WiFi/BT card
    • Make/model of Memory DIMMs (and how many)
    • Make/model of CPU cooler
  2. Is this a clean installation or an upgrade?
  3. Was Migration Assistant used to transfer files and applications from an old system?
  4. Have you installed any of your own applications?
  5. When did the random crashes start to occur?
    • Immediately after installing Catalina?
    • One or two weeks after installing Catalina?
  6. Is there any pattern to the crashes?
    • Does the system crash only when using a certain application such as Safari or ...?
    • Or the crashes are truly random?
  7. Have you connected power cable to the 8-pin CPU power header labeled ATX_12V_2x4?
  8. When the crash occurs, do you see a crash log on screen?
  9. When the crash occurs, does the entire system freeze completely and you have to press physical reset button?

Try adding igfxonln=1 to Boot Arguments and perform a Reset CMOS at the OpenCore Picker to ensure that new boot arguments are used. Then test both USB-C to HDMI and HDMI to HDMI.
USB C causes immeadite wake up.
HDMI sleeps and wakes as it meant to be. So enabling usb 2.0 on thunderbolt is our suspect?

Okay! Thank you for the clarification.

I am still hesitant to use the regular version of OpenCore standard to boot Windows because the hardware shows up differently. For example, using OpenCore, the motherboard manufacturer is "Acidanthera", Model "Mac-AA*", Version "iMac19,1". That by itself isn't a problem, but I worry that my Windows license will invalidate itself because of what appears to be a significant change in hardware. I didn't see that when using NDK.

Are my licensing worries misplaced?
I regularly boot my Windows installation through both BIOS (F12) and OpenCore. I've not had any issue so it's worth trying...

1. What components are in your system?
    • Make/model of GPU
    • Make/model of NVMe SSD(s)
    • Make/model of WiFi/BT card
    • Make/model of CPU cooler
  2. Is this a clean installation or an upgrade?
  3. Was Migration Assistant used to transfer files and applications from an old system?
  4. Have you installed any of your own applications?
  5. When did the random crashes start to occur?
    • Immediately after installing Catalina?
    • One or two weeks after installing Catalina?
  6. Is there any pattern to the crashes?
    • Does the system crash only when using a certain application such as Safari or ...?
    • Or the crashes are truly random?
  7. Have you connected power cable to the 8-pin CPU power header labeled ATX_12V_2x4?
  8. When the crash occurs, do you see a crash log on screen?
  9. When the crash occurs, does the entire system freeze completely and you have to press physical reset button?
  • Make/model of GPU = Gigabyte vega 56
  • Make/model of NVMe SSD(s)= samsung SSD EVO 250GB
  • Make/model of WiFi/BT card= no wifi
  • Memory Type HYPERx DDR4
    Memory Size 32 GBytes
    Channels Dual
    Memory Frequency 1600.5 MHz (1:24)
  • Make/model of CPU cooler =COOLMASTER MASTERLIQUID
2.Clean installation
3.no
4.Google Chrome
5.Immediately after installing Catalina
6.the crashes are truly random
7.yes
8 no
9.the entire system freeze completely and i have to press physical reset button

• Make/model of GPU = Gigabyte vega 56
  • Make/model of NVMe SSD(s)= samsung SSD EVO 250GB
  • Make/model of WiFi/BT card= no wifi
  • Memory Type HYPERx DDR4
    Memory Size 32 GBytes
    Channels Dual
    Memory Frequency 1600.5 MHz (1:24)
  • Make/model of CPU cooler =COOLMASTER MASTERLIQUID
2.Clean installation
3.no
4.Google Chrome
5.Immediately after installing Catalina
6.the crashes are truly random
7.yes
8 no
9.the entire system freeze completely and i have to press physical reset button
There could be a hardware problem. The first suspect is memory. How many memory modules do you have? With 32GB you'll likely have either 4x8 or 2x16. Try removing half of the memory modules (any half) as follows:
  • Shutdown the system
  • Flip power switch on PSU to off
  • Then remove half of the memory sticks
Power the system back on and see if the crashes still occur. If they do, then:
  • Shutdown the system
  • Flip power switch on PSU to off
  • Install the previous memory modules back
  • Remove the other half of memory modules
Power the system back on and see if the crashes still occur.

Back