Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hello Everyone, Two questions.

I have Gigabyte Z390 Designare MBs. I am using UA hardware, an Apollo x8p and Three Octo Satellites.

I am going from one on board Thunderbolt 3 header to the x8p and jumped from the x8p to one satellite. The second TB3 is connected to another Satellite.

The issue is being able to utilize my third Octo since the Z390 only has two TB3 Connecters.

Has anyone been able to use an Alpine Ridge or Titan Ridge TB3 PCIE Expansion on the Z390 Designare successfully?

Secondly, since Gigabyte Designare Z390s can not be found anywhwew. What, pray tell other MBs are suggested as suitable replacements?

Z490-D??????

Thank you to all and please stay safe.
Tony….

Can you explain what you mean? Do you mean that beta BIOS F9g does not support certain Coffee Lake CPUs?
No, I mean - OSX.

upd: Clover / OC

Last edited:
The issue is being able to utilize my third Octo since the Z390 only has two TB3 Connecters.

Has anyone been able to use an Alpine Ridge or Titan Ridge TB3 PCIE Expansion on the Z390 Designare successfully?
Yes it's possible to use either card; we just have to tie together pins 3 and 5 of the J1-header (the Thunderbolt header on the card). We can use F/F jumper wires such as these for US$4.99.
Secondly, since Gigabyte Designare Z390s can not be found anywhwew. What, pray tell other MBs are suggested as suitable replacements?

Z490-D??????
Why yes of course, the new Gigabyte Z490 Vision D. Plans are hatching... ;) Final components arriving on Tuesday.

IMG_1340_resize.jpg

@michaelvelasquez,

Welcome to the forum! It can be tedious and time consuming to do controlled experiments, so thank you for the detailed writeup. If your system remains stable for another few days please let us know. Normally the PEG connector is needed when two or more GPUs are installed, and ATX_12V_2x2 is needed when overclocking, but if controlled tests show that these connections might also be necessary on some boards regardless of extra GPUs or overclocks, then that's a very good, but somewhat troubling finding.

This is definitely the case, I also have to have PEG power connected or my board will not post even without a GPU. I have tried nearly all bioses I was just running my build with the main ATX power jumped (i.e. shorting pin 4+5) before I realised this.

This is definitely the case, I also have to have PEG power connected or my board will not post even without a GPU. I have tried nearly all bioses I was just running my build with the main ATX power jumped (i.e. shorting pin 4+5) before I realised this.
PEG connector in blue on the lower right is different from ATX_12V_2X4 on the upper left. The latter is always required. In your case was the PEG connector required?
All motherboard USB ports_resize-2.png

Yes it's possible to use either card; we just have to tie together pins 3 and 5 of the J1-header (the Thunderbolt header on the card). We can use F/F jumper wires such as these for US$4.99.

I have the PCIEx16 in use for The GPU and the PCIEx8 for the FV-T919 card.

I am understanding correctly that I just jump the pins(3&5) and install in an available slot?

FYI. I have followed your OS 10.15.4 Clean Clover install guide and have been extremely stable for about one week.

Do I need to make any additional clover ect... changes?

Why yes of course, the new Gigabyte Z490 Vision D. Plans are hatching... ;) Final components arriving on Tuesday.

I am officially making the Z490 plunge with you!!!

On my way to Microcenter to pick up required components, and will be in a holding pattern.

Tony....

PEG connector in blue on the lower right is different from ATX_12V_2X4 on the upper left. The latter is always required. In your case was the PEG connector required?
View attachment 470978

Oh wow, I think you I just found the reason the first Designare board I got used from Amazon wouldn't boot. I don't remember plugging in the ATX_12V_2X4 lead the first time around but did when I bought a brand new one afterwards. I wasn't too hung up about it initially since I managed to get the new board for about $10 more than the used, but now I feel a bit silly knowing I could've had a working system a week earlier.

@CaseySJ , could you help clarify something for me?

In the repository under Gigabyte X99 Designare you say to enable GPIO3 Force Power in BIOS.
Thunderbolt settings in my bios (f5b) do not have this option.

The repository says ?? for BIOS Version. Is this because BIOS version does not matter or it is unknown what BIOS is being used by @Mace ?

So do I need a modified BIOS to access this setting?

I have enabled the ACPI renames and placed the SSDTs provided. IO reg populates the path correctly yet TB hotswap doesn't work.

I'm assuming it's due to not having this setting in BIOS?

Any help is very appreciated!

• BIOS Version: ??
  • Thunderbolt and GPIO3 Force Power must be enabled in BIOS.
  • Thunderbolt Security must be set to No Security.
Thunderbolt hot plug event is handled by GPE method _E16. So it is necessary to rename _E16 to XE16:
  • Find: 5F453136
  • Replace: 58453136
  • Comment: _E16 to XE16
It is also necessary to rename BR1B --> _INI() to BR1B --> XINI():
  • Find: 42523142 085F4144 520C0100 01005B80 4D43544C 000C8881 00E00A04 5B81134D 43544C01 00034847 50450100 07000800 08140D5F 494E49
  • Replace: 42523142 085F4144 520C0100 01005B80 4D43544C 000C8881 00E00A04 5B81134D 43544C01 00034847 50450100 07000800 08140D58 494E49
  • Comment: BR1B _INI to XINI
Copy the following two files to the CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder or the OpenCore OC/ACPI folder. OpenCore users also need to add the two SSDTs to their config.plist.
  • SSDT-TbtOnPch-GA-X99-Designare.aml
  • SSDT.DTPG.aml (this might already be present in your CLOVER or OpenCore folder)
Reference:

@CaseySJ Reserved the Z490 Vision D., Memory ect... NO stock of i9-10900K:(

Other way around here in the UK, plenty of processors just no Vision D, not even as an option to pre-order.

Back