Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Same here with the NVMe drives' slot configuration and Win10 with its bootloader on its own EFI Partition, which is why it can boot directly from bios, bypassing Clover. Clover boots it just fine with Emulated NVRAM, but refuses to with native (Catalina seems to work like it should with native.) I don't have the flashed thunderbolt firmware, but I wouldn't think that would make a difference?

BTW, forgot to first thank you for your awesome build guide!
Correct -- flashed Thunderbolt firmware will not affect this. Do you have this option in Clover: Boot Microsoft EFI Boot from EFI?

I've thought about it, but won't that mean my monitor won't work in Windows?
Just looked into this on my primary system that has both Windows and macOS (and flashed Thunderbolt firmware).
  • On a cold boot (after PSU has been flipped OFF or power cable unplugged from the wall) Thunderbolt does not work under Windows.
  • If we boot into macOS and then warm boot into Windows, Thunderbolt is operational. It remains operational until power is again completely shut off (i.e. unplugged from wall or PSU flipped off).
  • However, I don't have a Thunderbolt monitor...at least not yet. I would be very tempted by a mini-LED version of a 4K or 5K Thunderbolt 3 monitor.

Correct -- flashed Thunderbolt firmware will not affect this. Do you have this option in Clover: Boot Microsoft EFI Boot from EFI?
That was the label after the initial build, but I now have a custom GUI entry that renames it to "Windows 10" (which I have been using for quite a while now, works with the Emulated NVRAM, just not the native. I am also using Clover 5108 instead of your 5107, if that makes any difference.

@scottkendall, have you tried the minimal 3 patch approach on the active partition of the Rev1?

2727->3737 at offset 0x35 (decimal 53)
A0 -> 20 at offset 0x81 (decimal 129)
FFFFFFFF -> 8680D315 (or whatever your controller device-id is, byte reversed) at offset 0xBA0 (decimal 2976)

It has worked on all the Alpine Ridge firmware I've tried so far (Intel Hades Canyon15d3 and Asrock Z370 itx/ac 15c0)

I did not modify any Alpine Ridge firmware. I only tested a large amount only trying to help @noname0.

Sure, attached is the original NVM 23. Let us know if this improves/fixes dual-monitor functionality.
So I have gone back to un-modified NVM 23 for my GC-Titan Ridge. I now have both monitors working again. Cold boots, warm boots everything works. So my configuration appears to be fine. What is surprising to me is that the modified firmware is affecting my ability to connect directly to the GPU for my second monitor.

Thank you all very very very much for your efforts with this. I think this is the build that will finally covert many, particularly those in audio production, to make the jump. My build is on the way, and I'm very excited.

I have two questions:

1. I have purchased the i5-9600KF, as the i7 and i9 are just way too expensive at the moment (~$300AUD VS ~$700AUD+). Hoping I don't regret it. Are there any issues using iMac19,1 or iMac19,2 without an iGPU, or am I better off with iMacPro1,1? Would preferably like Sidecar, but no biggie, I can just use Duet if it doesn't work.

2. I'm planning to keep this build for a solid ~5 years, now that I'm set with Thunderbolt 3 compatibility. Do you get the sense this build will be supported by the community for years to come, or jump to the next upgrade (e.g. Z490)? I'd love to contribute and support this exact build being supported for many years after all the work that has gone into it, and how future proof it is for audio.

Thanks again.

So I have gone back to un-modified NVM 23 for my GC-Titan Ridge. I now have both monitors working again. Cold boots, warm boots everything works. So my configuration appears to be fine. What is surprising to me is that the modified firmware is affecting my ability to connect directly to the GPU for my second monitor.

Did you try the Designare NVM33 on your GC-Titan ridge? I been running 33 on my card almost since the day Casey put it up with only good results. That is everything works I own. I wish had some UAD to try but I can't be dropping cash on something I would never use. Also all 4 of my ports GPU work and I can video pass threw on the Titan! I do not use WEG just a simple pike R black screen patch to get multi monitors.

Did you try the Designare NVM33 on your GC-Titan ridge? I been running 33 on my card almost since the day Casey put it up with only good results. That is everything works I own. I wish had some UAD to try but I can't be dropping cash on something I would never use. Also all 4 of my ports GPU work and I can video pass threw on the Titan! I do not use WEG just a simple pike R black screen patch to get multi monitors.
I have not tried that. So you flashed "DESIGNARE-Z390-NVM33-Elias64Fr.bin" to your GC-Titan Ridge? I didn't think that was possible. So you're not using WEG. What symbios are your running?

Thank you all very very very much for your efforts with this. I think this is the build that will finally covert many, particularly those in audio production, to make the jump. My build is on the way, and I'm very excited.

I have two questions:

1. I have purchased the i5-9600KF, as the i7 and i9 are just way too expensive at the moment (~$300AUD VS ~$700AUD+). Hoping I don't regret it. Are there any issues using iMac19,1 or iMac19,2 without an iGPU, or am I better off with iMacPro1,1? Would preferably like Sidecar, but no biggie, I can just use Duet if it doesn't work.

2. I'm planning to keep this build for a solid ~5 years, now that I'm set with Thunderbolt 3 compatibility. Do you get the sense this build will be supported by the community for years to come, or jump to the next upgrade (e.g. Z490)? I'd love to contribute and support this exact build being supported for many years after all the work that has gone into it, and how future proof it is for audio.

Thanks again.
Hello @Doymilk,

This build is used quite a bit for audio and video production, which means there are many trailblazers who can offer solid advice and assistance. To answer your questions:
  1. It's perfectly okay to use iMac19,1 without iGPU. iMacPro 1,1 is also a good choice.
  2. Z490 boards are expected next month, but price is expected to be about 30% higher, probably due to higher cost of PCIe Gen 4 compatibility. But we won't be able to take advantage of PCIe 4 until Rocket Lake in Q1 or Q2 of 2021 according to this article on Tech Radar. I have a feeling that Designare Z390 boards will become scarce soon as production shifts towards the new and more expensive Z490 series. Will this system remain competitive for 5 years? We certainly think so. People today are still using Hackintoshes that were built 5 or more years ago. When you have a truly modular system, it's surprising how much life you can breathe into it!

I have not tried that. So you flashed "DESIGNARE-Z390-NVM33-Elias64Fr.bin" to your GC-Titan Ridge? I didn't think that was possible. So you're not using WEG. What symbios are your running?

You can flash it onto an alpine ridge also just the card will not work. Yes I flashed NVM33 to my GC-Titain Ridge card, and my TB2 Drive with T3 adaptor works, my Core X EGPU works, my TB3 network to TB3 works, my USB3.0 works.

What symbios are your running?

I run iMac Pro 1,1 and as of recently with IGPU enabled "but that is an entirely different story"

So you're not using WEG.

I only mentioned I was not using WEG because you were talking about dual monitors and that is one of the main reasons to use WEG.. If you have only one monitor there is really no reason to have it.

Back