Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ with these new Z490 motherboards, will we be able to use them straight away in regards to Hackintosh, I.E. do current real Macs that exist mean we can utilise the Z490 chipset?

Furthermore, are you planning on upgrading as soon as these are available, or are you planning on waiting until at least Rocket Lake is out?

Just looked into this on my primary system that has both Windows and macOS (and flashed Thunderbolt firmware).
  • On a cold boot (after PSU has been flipped OFF or power cable unplugged from the wall) Thunderbolt does not work under Windows.
  • If we boot into macOS and then warm boot into Windows, Thunderbolt is operational. It remains operational until power is again completely shut off (i.e. unplugged from wall or PSU flipped off).
  • However, I don't have a Thunderbolt monitor...at least not yet. I would be very tempted by a mini-LED version of a 4K or 5K Thunderbolt 3 monitor.

Some odd results tell me this issue is deeper than Hackintosh. I finally got around to installing Windows.

So if I boot Windows and go to sleep, then wake, the monitor also won't come back on. Unlike Mac though, the OS doesn't crash. I can unplug/replug the monitor (seems either thunderbolt or power cable is fine) and it will come back on.

Where things get even stranger, is that if I hook up my old monitor, over HDMI direct to the motherboard, I can sleep, and wake Windows. Upon doing so, both monitors come on. Whichever the primary monitor is, will be the only one displaying the login screen, but upon logging in, both work.

I haven't tried it in Mac yet. These issues started upon enabling my iGPU with this monitor, and the panic referenced setpowerstate and HDMI. It's like the iGPU tries to power on HDMI and nothing is there and the UltraFine never comes on, and in Mac it crashes. I don't know if a dummy plug for HDMI would work around the issue, as ugly a workaround as that is.

I have a (currently) working dual boot, but missed these steps when doing it. I have mac in the upper slot and widows in the bottom, and left mac in when installing windows. My EFI parition has clover and windows directories (I assume as a result?)

It's been okay so far, but I understand that windows updates might hose my install? Is there a way to fix this?
Although I’ve not rechecked this with recent versions of Designare firmware, back on F6 the motherboard would always default to the Windows bootloader when EFI folder contained a “Windows” subfolder.

If you’ve installed a Windows feature update and the system still boots to Clover then you’re probably safe.

Ideally we would want the Windows SSD to contain its own EFI partition and its own EFI/Windows folder.

Last edited:
@CaseySJ with these new Z490 motherboards, will we be able to use them straight away in regards to Hackintosh, I.E. do current real Macs that exist mean we can utilise the Z490 chipset?
Yes I think we’ll be able to use Z490 boards right away. When I first installed macOS on this motherboard, there were no real Macs with Z390 or with 9th Gen Coffee Lake Refresh processors. My principal concerns with Z490 are:
  • Price and features. We’ll find this out soon enough, but prices are expected to jump 30%.
  • Inability to use PCIe 4.0 until Rocket Late. The most optimistic scenario for Rocket Lake is October/November 2020, but more realistic estimates are Q1 or Q2 of 2021.
Furthermore, are you planning on upgrading as soon as these are available, or are you planning on waiting until at least Rocket Lake is out?
Without Rocket Lake, I’m not sure there’s enough differentiation in Z490. If I recall correctly, it does provide 6 more PCIe lanes to the PCH and supports Comet Lake desktop CPUs, but most YouTubers have already dismissed Comet Lake as a meaningless update.

As more details — official details — come out we’ll make some informed decisions. Rumors whet the appetite, but not the pocketbook.

I am following the steps to install Mojave onto an NVME SSD. My hardware is based around the ASRock Phantom Z390 ITX build located here:

Exact hardware is:
Z390 Phantom ITX/ac motherboard
Intel 8700
Corsair Vengenance 16GB RAM
Samsung 970 EVO 500GB

The USB is a Lexar 64GB USB3.0

I am following the steps to the letter, and have configured a USB stick. I loaded Clover and chose the “Install macOS Mojave” option and I get stuck on this screen after some text crawl:

4E9EE526-A859-48EF-A77C-32FAF1446034.jpeg

Is this screen supposed to stay like this and it takes awhile to load, or is the process interrupted?

EDIT: I fixed it. To list info for anyone struggling:

1) I did the common fix people recommend, which was putting SSDT-EC.aml in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched

2) But that didn't entirely solve it, so I also had to make an edit to the USB's config.plist following post #17 located here:

Last edited:
Is this screen supposed to stay like this and it takes awhile to load, or is the process interrupted?

Hi @CaseySJ

Thank you so much for your guide and all the efforts of supporting people with this configuration. I checked and most of the Amazon reviews on this board are hackintoshes. Gigabyte should really endorse you for helping them sell a bunch of their high tier board! Hope you are staying safe and well with the family during this pandemic.

I've followed your guide from last year until this year, moved from clover to OC and everything has been awesome. I recently just got my 5700 XT Pulse this morning and was super excited to try it out but then I keep noticing the micro lags every few seconds from the mouse and general UI. I was using the Radeon VII before this for 9 months and never seen anything like this. I tried almost everything from changing SMBIOS 19,1 to 1,1 ; with or without agdpmod=pikera, shikigva=16 or shikigva=80, with or without WEG, all still give me the same lags.

There has been a few posts on this forum about this issue but no one seems to know why. It might have to do with using dual 4k monitors through 1.2 Display Port but I don't have any non 4k display to test. Have you came across anything like this?

@CaseySJ Just wanted to say thank you for the guide! Incredible work you have done here! I Just got up and running with Catalina 10.15.4 on a i9-9900KS build. I was on 10.15.3 up until today and my MSI RX 5700 XT DisplayPorts would not output any video as discussed throughout this thread many times. However, once I upgraded to 10.15.4 & Clover 5114, they oddly began working. Couldn't be happier.

-- Note: My office workstation is the new Mac Pro which I love, but I'm actually embarrassed my new hackintosh cremes it in a geekbench test.

Yes I think we’ll be able to use Z490 boards right away. When I first installed macOS on this motherboard, there were no real Macs with Z390 or with 9th Gen Coffee Lake Refresh processors. My principal concerns with Z490 are:
  • Price and features. We’ll find this out soon enough, but prices are expected to jump 30%.
  • Inability to use PCIe 4.0 until Rocket Late. The most optimistic scenario for Rocket Lake is October/November 2020, but more realistic estimates are Q1 or Q2 of 2021.

Without Rocket Lake, I’m not sure there’s enough differentiation in Z490. If I recall correctly, it does provide 6 more PCIe lanes to the PCH and supports Comet Lake desktop CPUs, but most YouTubers have already dismissed Comet Lake as a meaningless update.

As more details — official details — come out we’ll make some informed decisions. Rumors whet the appetite, but not the pocketbook.
I typically don't get bogged down in the road map details as new chipsets get announced and cpu tech rolls out, but lately it seems like Intel has been making some real mis-steps. For once, I can understand why Apple is working on building their own, or going to AMD. I'm NOT anti Intel, but even I (a creative) can see what's been happening lately.

I typically don't get bogged down in the road map details as new chipsets get announced and cpu tech rolls out, but lately it seems like Intel has been making some real mis-steps.
This video from Intel is from 2015. Now it's 2020 and still they are presenting us with 14nm ++++ CPUs. I've never heard any good explanation about why they can't succeed with even 10nm for the desktop. AMD/TSMC have had 7nm CPUs (Zen2) for more than a year already. Can anyone explain what happened at Intel ?

Back