Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@NCMacGuy

WOW WOW!!!

Before I get carried away with flowery praise :) can you please post one or two photos and screenshots? Perhaps like this:

1. Photo of the front of monitor with macOS desktop showing.
2. Photo of the rear IO panel of motherboard.
3. Screenshot of System Information —> Graphics/Displays
4. Screenshot of System Information —> USB (to show on-board USB devices working)

@CaseySJ

Managed to do a clean OpenCore Catalina build from scratch. I used the Vanilla OpenCore guide (used propertree as the plist editor) and with some minor issues, managed to get this system to run like butter. This guide is very comprehensive and versatile.

Worth mentioning - I am running F9b BIOS on this mobo.

Everything I could think of works like a charm, no modifications to the OS, feels sturdy as hell. I'm feeling really good being able to update without worrying and even using time machine for backups.

There is a small issue with VirtualSMC that throws an ACPI error while booting. Some temp sensors don't work but this isn't affecting system stability at all.
I'm also still having some issues with monitors booting to a black screen with projector connected but easily fixable by power cycling the monitors.

I'm actually very excited to watch the developments of OC further on.

Oh man, what a sick twist of fate. I reassembled the entire system back in the case and I just booted five times in a row (into Windows) without issues from power off.

The only thing that is different now is the GPU is mounted in the top-most PCIe slot. Previously the Noctura cooler when mounted for front-to-back airflow blocks that port. I decided to try the alternate down-to-up airflow mounting method this time just to compare temperature differences. In my mind this really shouldn't be the culprit though, the issue was occuring repeatedly without any GPU installed at all. Nevertheless, I am trying to document everything here and it's worth noting.

EDIT: Actually just realized there is one other difference now, I only have one of the two fans on the CPU cooler installed or connected. (Connected to CPU_FAN, now nothing connected to CPU_OPT).

I'm still convinced something is screwed up somewhere. That issue was far to repeatable even when broken down to the sheer basic components.

I am going to start working through the process in this order:
  1. Currently on F7_n BIOS, going to upgrade to F9
  2. Re-apply BIOS settings from Post #1
  3. Re-unlock MSR 0xE2

Well went through all this and still, the system kept booting like normal. I am seriously scratching my head here.

Now going to install my Broadcom BCM94360CD 802.11ac WiFi & BT 4.0 + PCIe adapter to replace the Fenvi card that was giving me issues. I installed the card into the adapter, ensured all four antenna connections are seated, installed the card into the lowest black PCIe 1x slot, and connected all four antennas. The system still booting like normal but Uh Oh, no WiFI networks found. Bluetooth works and paired with my Pixel 4XL just fine. Shut down, card and adapter to the lowest slot PCIe (I think 4x) and first boot shutdown during POST and restarted. Next boot worked fine. All subsequent boots still working fine so far. Hmmm. Something still amiss here. There shouldn't be a need for the PEG power connector to be plugged into the board with just a single PCIe card being powered off this board right? The GPU of course has it's own dual PCIe power cables connected.

...UPLOADING SCREENSHOTS...
Screen Shot 2020-04-16 at 10.19.39 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-16 at 10.19.35 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-16 at 10.21.09 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-16 at 10.22.24 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-16 at 10.22.31 AM.png

Last edited:
@CaseySJ Is using a Pi with a clip the best way to flash onboard Z390 Designare Thunderbolt 3 firmware, or is it possible to use a software tool to modify firmware of the Titan Ridge?

Found some Windows drivers for the card and no networks are seen from Windows either. So it would appear I either have a bad card or a bad adapter.

Edit: After I added a PCIe power cable from my PSU to the PEG port on the motherboard I am able to see WiFi networks now. According to the motherboard manual it was only recommended that this connected be powered if two or more graphics cards were installed but it would appear other things in PCIe slots need this additional power as well.

Worth noting that for some reason the built in card within Windows can see far more networks even with no antennas connected than the Broadcom card can with antennas.

Last edited:
Howdy folks! @CaseySJ - Fantastic guide. I built mine back in October following this, and it is mostly working. I haven't had time to fix some of the small things that don't work great, because I was very busy - I own a recording studio and it was very busy. Since the Corona pandemic, I have since brought my rig home and am working there and the studio is shut down. So, now I have time to get this girl running well.

One of the issues I have had since getting up and running is that Preview did not work. I found a video on youtube where the guy switched his SMBIOS to Imac Pro 1,1 and that fixed it for him. So I switch mine and that fixed preview, but now, when someone sends me an audio clip in iMessage it does not play the audio.

At my studio, I also have a youtube channel and have been editing in Final Cut. I shoot 4k on Sony a6400 cameras. My editing drive is a Samsung Xtreme 1tb connected via USB-C to one of the Thunderbolt/USB-C ports. Final Cut behaves poorly since switching to iMac Pro SMBIOS. It never worked great though, laggy and dropped frames. But it is worse now. Lots of beach balls. Pro Tools also never quits without giving me an error that it didn't shut down properly. I have not done the going the extra mile spoiler yet. I am getting ready to do that today. I just need to gather all the info that I need to do this right because while I do have a lot of extra time on my hands, I do still have some work to do. I have installed Lilu and Whatever Green.

Lastly, I noticed since switching that my CPU in about this Mac is listed as an i9. That might be cosmetic, just wanted to make sure.

View attachment 462825

I have attached IOReg and Config.pllist files for before the change and after the change to Imac Pro SMBIOS.
Hello @3rdPowerCitizen,

It is better to return to iMac19,1. I've made a number of modifications to the attached config.plist. It seems your CLOVER folder was migrated from an older system rather than being installed from scratch for this motherboard. So I've brought it in line with the guide in Post #1.

However, please download the latest RELEASE versions of Lilu, WhateverGreen, and AppleALC from the Acidanthera GitHub site and copy only the kext files to CLOVER/kexts/Other and to /Library/Extensions (if your kexts are also installed there), then run Kext Utility to rebuild the kernel cache.

The i9 in About this Mac is cosmetic.

Let's see if the system functions properly after these changes.

Attachments

• config before change.plist
    12.2 KB · Views: 121
Well went through all this and still, the system kept booting like normal. I am seriously scratching my head here.

Now going to install my Broadcom BCM94360CD 802.11ac WiFi & BT 4.0 + PCIe adapter to replace the Fenvi card that was giving me issues. I installed the card into the adapter, ensured all four antenna connections are seated, installed the card into the lowest black PCIe 1x slot, and connected all four antennas. The system still booting like normal but Uh Oh, no WiFI networks found. Bluetooth works and paired with my Pixel 4XL just fine. Shut down, card and adapter to the lowest slot PCIe (I think 4x) and first boot shutdown during POST and restarted. Next boot worked fine. All subsequent boots still working fine so far. Hmmm. Something still amiss here. There shouldn't be a need for the PEG power connector to be plugged into the board with just a single PCIe card being powered off this board right? The GPU of course has it's own dual PCIe power cables connected.

...UPLOADING SCREENSHOTS...View attachment 462864
View attachment 462865
View attachment 462866
View attachment 462869
View attachment 462870

Hi there.

I may be walking my size 10's through someone elses discussion, so sorry, but ...

Wireless card:

Bluetooth needs a motherboard USB cable. Looks like that is working fine if connected to your phone.

Your country code locale, is set to ETSI is used in Finland, Spain and other countries, I think. No problem if that's where you are, otherwise may be a hinderance to wi-fi connection.

:)

Hi there.

I may be walking my size 10's through someone elses discussion, so sorry, but ...

Wireless card:

Bluetooth needs a motherboard USB cable. Looks like that is working fine if connected to your phone.

Your country code locale, is set to ETSI is used in Finland, Spain and other countries, I think. No problem if that's where you are, otherwise may be a hinderance to wi-fi connection.

:)

Thank you very much for spotting this @UtterDisbelief. I was not aware of that at all, not even sure how to set that. I just ordered this card off eBay last week here in the states. Guess I need to see if there is a way to change this. This is probably very likely why it's only seeing my 2 networks and nothing else nearby like my Intel card does in Windows and is also probably why I cannot successfully connect to either one of my two networks despite seeing them.

Were those apps (Radio Silence, IPVanish) working before? When did the problem begin -- after any software or OS update on the Hackintosh?

No those Apps haven't been working at all since installing the Machine. Mojave 10.14.6 is the only version I've been running. I already did a fresh installation of the newest version of the each app and tried both in root. No success yet. Im thankful for any tips you got for me. Otherwise I can still try and look into purchasing alternatives for the apps.

Back