Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Let’s check some prerequisites:
  • Is MSR 0xE2 unlocked?
  • Is Clover 5107/5108 installed on USB flash disk?
  • Are you pressing F12 at BIOS splash screen to select the USB disk?
  • Have you confirmed that the drivers/UEFI folder and kexts/Other and ACPI/patched are all correct?

that would be
No
Yes
Yes
Yes
I’ll try setting the MSR

There’s a substantial difference in fresh-installation procedure between the two. Catalina 10.15.4 can only be installed by following the 10.15.4 mini-guide that is linked to the very top of Post #1, just under the photograph.
OK, great. I might have missed that. I appreciate you response and assistance.

Let’s check some prerequisites:
  • Is MSR 0xE2 unlocked?
  • Is Clover 5107/5108 installed on USB flash disk?
  • Are you pressing F12 at BIOS splash screen to select the USB disk?
  • Have you confirmed that the drivers/UEFI folder and kexts/Other and ACPI/patched are all correct?

@CaseySJ My mother board is gigabyte z390m gaming.
Where would I found instruction to unlock MSR 0xE2? Or would it be same as yours?

UPDATE: I found the below guide so will give it a try.

UPDATE2: I have unlocked MSR as per your and the above instructions but still same issue :(

Last edited:
I finally got a chance to look at the 4 MacPro7,1 Thunderbolt firmware files you were able to extract through Linux. Very interesting stuff...
So it's not the same configuration across all Thunderbolt controllers.

But what does it mean? :p
g\

Hi all

Had a few questions (in italics below) before my motherboard arrives. Would be grateful if I could get some answers - I'll keep the questions as concise as possible as I know you're all busy and appreciate your time in helping novices like me!

• I use Ethernet to connect to the Internet. However, eventually, I want to get a Wi-Fi/Bluetooth PCI-E card for Airdrop/Unlock Mac with Apple Watch, etc., functionality, as well as using the Bluetooth in Windows for my Keyboard/Mouse. My questions are:
    • Can I install Catalina for now and in a couple of months get the card?
    • Will I be able to simply pop the card in and configure a few settings or will I need to reinstall OS X?
    • When using the PCI-e card in Windows, can I also use it for Bluetooth (as I plan to remove the WiFi/Bluetooth card that comes with the motherboard, as my understanding is that it doesn't work with OS X
  • In terms of USB ports, I had a few questions:
    • On the front of my case, I have 2x USB-3 and 1x USB 2. Can I successfully connect this to the motherboard using the internal headers, and still have the back USB ports working, as well as the USB header that's needed for the PCI-e WiFi/Bluetooth card?
  • In terms of SMBIOS settings, and as I want to use this rig for Adobe CC/FCP and potentially music production in the future, I'm slightly confused by the table above which states that 'Pro Apps Option 2' is strongly reccommended, however if you click the 'Spoiler: Additional tip for Pro apps users', it states we should disable iGPU and use iMac Pro 1,1. My questions are:
    • Which SMBIOS setting should I be using?
    • I thought iGPU was needed for some tasks like opening PDFs, QuickLook for JPEG files, watching Netflix/certain DRM content etc? So if I go with the iMac Pro 1,1 route and disable iGPU for the best rendering performance, can I still do the aforementioned activities that the iGPU normally handles, like QuickLook of JPEG files?
  • I also use Windows on a normal SATA SSD:
    • From reading the guide, I understand I need to install Windows in an M2M slot, however I already have a 500GB Samsung 850 EVO that I use for windows. Do you recommend I get a small 120GB M2 drive for Windows and then just use the 500GB for Windows Games etc?
    • Is it advisable I install Windows first on that SSD, disconnect that SSD, slot in my WD BLACK NVMe drive, install OS X and then put the Windows SSD back?
    • Is anyone here dual-booting with Windows? Is Audio working fine in Windows with the same rear and front jacks? I want to use 2.1 speakers (that connect via a single 3.5mm jack) to the rear of the motherboard, and at the front, use the headphone jack when I don't want to wake the rest of my

Does this mean that port 7 is working?

Attachments

• 3AA1D04E-AA58-4414-82F1-77286AFF0874.jpeg
    3AA1D04E-AA58-4414-82F1-77286AFF0874.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 93
Does this mean that port 7 is working?

Yes, otherwise the right pane would have no entries.

(Instead of using your camera, which is why you have moire on your image, press Cmd-Shift-5 to save a selection of the screen. If you decide not to save the selection, cancel by pressing the Esc key.)

• I also use Windows on a normal SATA SSD:
    • From reading the guide, I understand I need to install Windows in an M2M slot, however I already have a 500GB Samsung 850 EVO that I use for windows. Do you recommend I get a small 120GB M2 drive for Windows and then just use the 500GB for Windows Games etc?
    • Is it advisable I install Windows first on that SSD, disconnect that SSD, slot in my WD BLACK NVMe drive, install OS X and then put the Windows SSD back?
    • Is anyone here dual-booting with Windows? Is Audio working fine in Windows with the same rear and front jacks? I want to use 2.1 speakers (that connect via a single 3.5mm jack) to the rear of the motherboard, and at the front, use the headphone jack when I don't want to wake the rest of my
I'll leave the other parts of your question to others.

Windows dual boot
The advice to put the Windows drive in the M2M slot only applies if you are using M.2 drives for both Windows and macOS. Since the 850 EVO is a 2.5" form factor, install it in one of the hard drive bays and connect it to a SATA port.

If you now have Windows 10 installed on the EVO on another computer and you want to move that EVO to your new machine: it's worth a try to install the EVO with your new motherboard/case before doing any macOS installs. Make a FULL BACKUP of the EVO. then install the EVO and see what happens. Unlike with previous versions of windows, Win10 is much more forgiving when moving a Win10 drive from one computer to another. The worst case is you get a blue screen and you'll need to do a wipe and reinstall. Best case is that after Windows boots you'll need to re-authorize the install. Go to Settings--Update--Activation.

Once you have a working Win10 installation (either just porting the EVO or needing to do a full wipe and install using a win10 USB installer), remove the EVO and start with the guide on Page 1 of this thread and install Catalina and get everything working to your satisfaction.

Then shut down and install the EVO. Turn on your machine and go to BIOS settings. Set the boot order so that your macOS drive boots first. Then reboot, and, if all goes well, your machine will boot to the Clover screen. There will be a Windows boot selection (it might say something like Boot Microsoft EFI from EFI).

I have both Windows and Linux on separate hard drives in my machine and both show up as boot options

I have both Windows and Linux on separate hard drives in my machine and both show up as boot options

Does your Linux boot from Clover okay? I have Catalina, Windows 10 and Ubuntu 19.10 and all show up in Clover but only Windows and Catalina will boot. If I choose 'Linux' from the choices I just end up with the pinky purple screen and it just hangs there. It boots fine in I F12 and select the drive manually. A 1st world problem, as I only occasionally use Ubuntu, but it would be nice to fix it. I haven't looked into it too much.

Firmware wise it is besided from signature and the location identical.

Last edited:
Back