Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Those specific problems you mentioned do not exist with modified Designare Z390 firmware. Even sleep/wake works with Thunderbolt devices. That’s why Designare Z390 is currently *unbeatable*.

ALMOST 'unbeatable'

Just for the sake of amusement:

Suddenly my $12/month doesn't seem so cheap anymore! You're paying 50% less, I'm paying 100% more.

I'm paying 20€ and have unlimited calls, SMS, MMS and I think something like 10+ GB Internet throughout the whole EU with the best network provider available in Germany (Telekom)

@CaseySJ
Does @qthegaijin try'd the same, only on a Modified TR card?
Can i help to get logs or other information?

Edit: I have the Port7 in IOSerice.
Have only tested the Antleope on the GC-TR and GC-AR add-in-cards. Getting the same results as my mobo's built in TB3 connection - The driver sees the device, but doesn't actually connect and activate the audio stream.

It appears you are getting the same results as me on your flashed Z390......*insert sadface here*

To me this could mean a few things:
1 - There is still some small bit of info needing to be discovered to fully implement native TB3 (hopefully the recently dumped MP7,1 firmwares will help with that)
2 - Antelope's driver is so strict in what it looks for that any sort of variation causes instant failure.
3 - Apple implemented a different method in their IOThunderbolt family of kexts between Sierra and High Sierra which causes the Antelope Driver to either be more strict or not connect. (I say this because I had the antelope working on my built in TB3 using 10.12.4 and earlier but the minute I upgraded to a higher OS version I lost TB3 support with antelope.

I have a problem with my screen. Some colors red and blue is fluorescent.

Attached are my files and photo of my screen.

Can you help me please ?

Sytems:
My laptop is 2 x 32GB DDR4
SSD NVMe

Sapphire RX 5700 XT

Gigabyte Designare Z390 Thunderbolt 3
i9-9900K

I have Catalina 10.15.4

My boot Clover is 5108, and I have latest kext with Clover Configurator.

Attachments

• Sans titre.png
    Sans titre.png
    304.9 KB · Views: 78
  • EFI.zip
    3.3 MB · Views: 67
the saga continues. Ok, so, regarding thunderbolt and getting UAD drivers and devices working properly, my experience thus far far is as follows. I am currently running Catalina 10.15.4 with native NVRAM enabled on Bios F8. OS wise, everything is running well and stable.

With UAD, the driver recognizes and connects to both Apollo16's that are configurable and chained in console. The #2 Apollo will intermittently lose the clock signal and sometimes disconnect and stop functioning completely, causing the red "ext" light to flash or stay on. When this happens, audio playback jumps or stops completely. This happens in different ways at different sample rates, with multiples of 44.1khz being more stable, and multiples of 48khz being less so. At 96khz all audio has a distorted "bitcrushed" sound. If i change sample rate in Ableton or Console or AudioMidi Setup, I have to reboot comp/Apollo to get clean, not garbled, audio. All three settings must be matched on boot to work at all, and 44.1khz works the best.

I am using the DDST thunderbolt patch that @jiffyslot posted a few days ago and is listed at the bottom.

I am also considering the Titan Ridge firmware flash, but do not know whether it is necessary, or if it could, potentially, fix the problems I am having. I have the equipment to do it, and understand the concept, but dont know if it would be beneficial. Below are pics of my IOReg when I search "Thunderbolt" and "UAD".

Let me know if theres anymore info I can provide

As always, deep gratitude to the real hackers, the guys figuring out machine code and writing patches so that we get nice little downloady files while having no idea whats actually happening on our machines. And thanks to @CaseySJ, this guide and all its miniguides have literally been my bible the last two weeks, you really do something amazing here, cheers:clap:
Edit: read the last 300 or so pages, i shall flash on the mourn, wish me luck
bump, sorry if im doing this wrong

bump, sorry if im doing this wrong

I read your post UAD are questionable some work others do not on the first page there is a confirmed working list. As far as using a programmer and flashing modified firmware doing it and testing the hardware yourself is the only way to know for sure.

Please read the guides on flashing your firmware... and remember flashing your hardware could result in undesirable behavior including broken hardware.

I have a problem with my screen. Some colors red and blue is fluorescent.

Attached are my files and photo of my screen.

Can you help me please ?

Sytems:
My laptop is 2 x 32GB DDR4
SSD NVMe

Sapphire RX 5700 XT

Gigabyte Designare Z390 Thunderbolt 3
i9-9900K

I have Catalina 10.15.4

My boot Clover is 5108, and I have latest kext with Clover Configurator.
the screen shot that you attached looks normal.

in System Preferences--Displays, if you have a checkbox for HDR, un-check it. if it is not checked, then try checking it.

@faithie999 and my files is ok for you ?

yes it is strange on my macbook it is normal this picture but not on my desktop

@CaseySJ

Thank you @CaseySJ for this great build guide. I bought this Designare board last fall because of the detailed instructions for the build and your outstanding support. I've been using this build part-time successfully for six months, and I now have it updated to Catalina 10.15.4 without any issues. I dual boot to also run Windows 10.

I've been following the TB3 topic closely as you and others work relentlessly to develop procedures and code to get TB3 working on this board like a real Mac.

I finally decided there had been enough successes to risk flashing the TB3 onboard Winbond chip. Not that I needed to, but because I enjoy the challenge. I already had a Raspberry Pi 4B and only needed to purchase the Pomona 5250 SOIC8 clip and some breadboard jumper wires to try it.

I used the "Supplemental Procedure for Connecting External SPI Flasher to Designare Z390" procedure.

My biggest problem was getting the SOIC8 clip properly seated. It took 4 attempts before "flashrom" recognized that the chip was connected. Strangely in my case "flashrom" immediately read the chip and saved the ROM to a file. As long as it was reading the chip I did two additional reads. Each file was recorded as 1 MiB. However, when the checksums were compared they were all different. Not good!

So at that point I turned on the power to the Designare, discarded the invalid ROM files and did three more reads. This time the checksums were all the same.

I then successfully flashed the new ROM using "flashrom."

Rebooting and using the two provided default SSDT's for TB3 on the Designare I confirmed that System Info was showing the TB device Tree, and IORegistryExplorer showed TB Port 7 was active.

I finished up using the "Thunderbolt DROM Micro-Guide for Gigabyte Designare Z390" procedure to modify the SSDT with the random UID. The only difficulty I encountered resulted from not using the latest version of MaciASL. It was not liking my inputs until I got the latest version. I then rebooted with the modified SSDT. All was well!

I plugged in a WAVLINK TB3 Docking Station (UTD21) and it seems to be functioning normally. I'm not getting video out of the two DisplayPort ports, but I don't use multiple displays anyway. (Perhaps there's an answer for this somewhere in this thread.) The RX 580 card works fine for my needs.

Again many thanks to all those who worked to develop this TB3 solution for the Designare.

@CaseySJ, could you post a simple diagram of the capacitor and resistor circuit you’re using for the flash. Sorry if it is posted elswhere, I haven’t been able to find it.

Back