Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

If you reread your previous post you will find that it was in fact a matter of interpreting "and" versus "or". But also note that your actual question has been addressed frequently. Please look at the second spoiler at the top of Post #1 for options. Those are, so far, the only options.
So basically, if I get your already modded firmwares, those can't be flashed in Windows 10 into any of the motherboards/PCIe cards?
I'm just double checking. Thanks for your help.

So basically, if I get your already modded firmwares, those can't be flashed in Windows 10 into any of the motherboards/PCIe cards?
I'm just double checking. Thanks for your help.
Correct — Windows flash tool will reject them because of invalidated digital signature when when some bytes are modified.

I reattach it 3 times.
I'm testing it without the PSU right now. The guide tells me : 'it should not work, but it should partially detect the chip.'
When i connect Pin8 to the chip, the boards lights up. It's orange.
It may be possible to read the chip without connecting the PSU.

I personally use the modified circuit with a 47uF capacitor and 2K Ohm resistor — in combination with the technique of disconnecting Pin 8 and connecting 24-pin power supply cable to motherboard.

These chips can be difficult to read, which is why there are several different techniques mentioned. It may also be a good idea to use the low-cost SOIC8 clip because it tends to hold this particular chip more securely.

It may be possible to read the chip without connecting the PSU.

I personally use the modified circuit with a 47uF capacitor and 2K Ohm resistor — in combination with the technique of disconnecting Pin 8 and connecting 24-pin power supply cable to motherboard.

These chips can be difficult to read, which is why there are several different techniques mentioned. It may also be a good idea to use the low-cost SOIC8 clip because it tends to hold this particular chip more securely.
I just attached my PSU and it detected the chip. Reading flash... Done.

Just made 3 reads. The (shasum *) hashes are the same.
Next step is to check if there is data in it. (string)

It appears to be. I see a lot of scrambled data and some words like 'Asus Thunderbolt' etc..
Should i proceed with flashing the custom firmware?

Status Edit:
Code:
sudo flashrom -p linux_spi:dev=/dev/spidev0.0,spispeed=1024 -w designare_z390_tb3_rom_1-Elias64Fr-Mod.bin
flashrom  on Linux 4.19.97-v7+ (armv7l)
flashrom is free software, get the source code at https://flashrom.org

Using clock_gettime for delay loops (clk_id: 1, resolution: 1ns).
Found Winbond flash chip "W25Q80.V" (1024 kB, SPI) on linux_spi.
Reading old flash chip contents... done.
Erasing and writing flash chip... Erase/write done.
Verifying flash... VERIFIED.

Last edited:
I just attached my PSU and it detected the chip. Reading flash... Done.

Just made 3 reads. The (shasum *) hashes are the same.
Next step is to check if there is data in it. (string)

It appears to be. I see a lot of scrambled data and some words like 'Asus Thunderbolt' etc..
Should i proceed with flashing the custom firmware?

Status Edit:
Code:
sudo flashrom -p linux_spi:dev=/dev/spidev0.0,spispeed=1024 -w designare_z390_tb3_rom_1-Elias64Fr-Mod.bin
flashrom  on Linux 4.19.97-v7+ (armv7l)
flashrom is free software, get the source code at https://flashrom.org

Using clock_gettime for delay loops (clk_id: 1, resolution: 1ns).
Found Winbond flash chip "W25Q80.V" (1024 kB, SPI) on linux_spi.
Reading old flash chip contents... done.
Erasing and writing flash chip... Erase/write done.
Verifying flash... VERIFIED.
Woohoo!! You did it! That wasn’t so bad, right? (Or maybe you prefer not to answer. :))

Now please follow ThunderboltDROM Micro Guide for Designare Z390. If you have any questions, just ask.

I am still confused. that plist file is included in the firmware?? it seems it might contain verty useful information no?
g\

It's attached in the usbc folder extracted from the macos installer which I posted previously.

Woohoo!! You did it! That wasn’t so bad, right? (Or maybe you prefer not to answer. :))

Now please follow ThunderboltDROM Micro Guide for Designare Z390. If you have any questions, just ask.
It was way to easy! :lol:
So for the record.
1. Check the clip connection via VCC pin
2. Attach PSU and turn it on.
3. Now the leds are bright white
4. Read.

I now proceed with the ThunderboltDROM Micro Guide for Designare Z390. I have already a thunderbolt bus in sysinfo>>Thunderbolt.
First i have to figure out the ' NHI0._DSM' method.

It was way to easy! :lol:
So for the record.
1. Check the clip connection via VCC pin
2. Attach PSU and turn it on.
3. Now the leds are bright white
4. Read.

I now proceed with the ThunderboltDROM Micro Guide for Designare Z390. I have alreaday a thunderbolt bus in sysinfo>>Thunderbolt.
First i have to figure out the ' NHI0._DSM' method.
It’s even easier than that if you use the SSDT included in the ThunderboltDROM micro guide for Designare Z390.

You’ll need “MaciASL” from acidanthera github site to modify the UID. For testing purposes, though, you can use the SSDT as-is. But we sure to move or delete the existing Thunderbolt SSDT from CLOVER/ACPI/patched.

It’s even easier than that if you use the SSDT included in the ThunderboltDROM micro guide for Designare Z390.

You’ll need “MaciASL” from acidanthera github site to modify the UID. For testing purposes, though, you can use the SSDT as-is. But we sure to move or delete the existing Thunderbolt SSDT from CLOVER/ACPI/patched.
So i don't have to specify a new Unique ID?
Just use a differend SSDT from the guide?

So i don't have to specify a new Unique ID?
Just use a differend SSDT from the guide?
“For testing purposes” we can use the one from the micro guide without any change.

But then we really should change the UID. The UID is like MAC address on Ethernet port. If two Ethernet ports accidentally had same MAC address, you can imagine the mayhem it would cause on the same LAN.

Back