Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Do you mean that patched firmware has been flashed on Windows with result Success vi Intel Tbt Flash tool ?
After all the tests, I have verified that the windows tool for firmware update does not work. Result is succes but did not change in firmware.

Sorry for my english, im spanish translated :lol:

Attachments

• IMG_3962.jpeg
    IMG_3962.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 114
@CaseySJ
Hey Casey,
Is it possible to daisy chain displays with the Designare Z390 thunderbolt port or do I need to flash the apple firmware? I have two 32UL350W that work flawlessly with MacBook Pro. but when it comes to my hack one monitor works on thunderbolt but the other needs to be on DP or HDMI. btw I have a 9900KF and a Radeon VII
Hello @djdragon737,

Because you have the i9-9900KF, it means there is no iGPU. Therefore, in order to connect a Thunderbolt monitor (like LG UltraFine 4K or 5K) to the Designare, we have to route one DisplayPort cable from the AMD GPU (Radeon VII) to the DP-In port on the rear IO panel. Then the Thunderbolt port closest to the HDMI connector will work.

Because this motherboard has only one DP-In port, it means only one Thunderbolt port will work. However, if you replace your CPU with i9-9900K (not F) or i7-9700K then iGPU will work with both Thunderbolt ports. In fact, with iGPU we get these options:

Option 1:
  • TB port 1 --> iGPU
  • TB port 2 --> iGPU
  • DP-In --> not connected
Option 2:
  • TB port 1 --> AMD GPU
  • TB port 2 --> iGPU
  • DP-In --> connected to AMD GPU
But if there is no IGPU then there is only one option:
  • TB port 1 --> AMD GPU
  • TB port 2 --> (no video)
  • DP-In --> connected to AMD GPU
However, you can buy either Gigabyte GC-Alpine Ridge or GC-Titan Ridge to add two more Thunderbolt ports. These add-in-card contain additional DP-In ports, so your Radeon VII can connect there as well.

By the way I'm unable to find information on 32UL350W. Is that an LG model? Is the model number correct?

P.S. Are you an aviation fan or work in aviation? By any chance are you working to fix the 737 MAX? :)

Last edited:
Hello @Elias64Fr
NVM43 behaves something like the DSM2 Firmware. Only shows USB if device connected on boot.
So far the best firmware of them is the NVM23 but on the PCIe card it only loads the driver for XHC,
if something is attached to it otherwise no driver will be loaded for the XHC part but its always present under PCI.

Still working on a solution for on the fly patching, bricked my chip but its not that bad...

Backup... :mrgreen:

IMG_20200316_130239.jpg

Last edited:
Bonjour Elias,

Does this mean NVM 43 has primary firmware and backup firmware? The active partition is still at offset 0x4000?
Yes, active and non active partition.
Current active partition depending on which data are found @0 offset and @1000 offset .. for simplification (little more complicated for each partition including Tbt part and TI part :
Capture d’écran 2020-03-16 à 13.01.18.png

Here we can see that on NVM23, first partition is active (there is only one at all) and on NVM43 (that include 2 partitions, when dump process has been done, partition 2 were active .. but it can change probably after flashing process :)

Last edited:
Hello @Elias64Fr
NVM43 behaves something like the DSM2 Firmware. Only shows USB if device connected on boot.
So far the best firmware of them is the NVM23 but on the PCIe card it only loads the driver for XHC,
if something is attached to it otherwise no driver will be loaded for the XHC part but its always present under PCI.

Still working on a solution for on the fly patching, bricked my chip but its not that bad...

Backup... :mrgreen:

View attachment 454883
Hi @S1lla
Backup for next 10years :)

Unfortunaly, we have same behaviour than when I flashed native apple firmware v47,1, there is probably something wrong with XHC configuration on firmware like controlled GPIO to enable this device by macOS driver. On boot it work because of BIOS controlled and powered :)

So, have you tried without any Thunderbolt SSDT (device name doesn't matter) .. and then with GPIO3FPwr disabled on BIOS and with a simplified SST to enable SGOV(FPG0, FP0L) ?

Last edited:
Minimum for ten years, got 100 of them in total. :D

Didn't tried it yet, have to do some work first but will try tonight further.

Do you have an example SSDT for it? @Elias64Fr

-There is no SystemConfiguration folder in my Library at all. (searched in Root Library, User Library and System Library)
-Yes I found the MAC address from the Bottom Ethernet port, the one closest to audio jacks. Intel I219. It's the only one I use and I found it in Settings>Network>Ethernet>Advanced..>Hardware>MAC address
-Cleared NVRAM both with sudo nvram -c and Reset NVRAM option from Picker.
-Turned Location services ON

Login problem remains on FaceTime and Messages. (Tried two separate fresh accounts made for this Hackintosh)
the SystemConfiguration folder is in /Library/Preferences not /Library/Extensions

Reactions: z4k
If the option to Boot macOS Mojave from ... does not appear in Clover Boot Menu, then:
  • Shutdown the system and flip power switch on PSU to OFF.
  • Physically remove the Windows NVMe SSD temporarily.
  • Restart the computer with USB Install Disk.
  • Press F12 to bring up the BIOS Boot Menu and select the USB disk.
  • Now what options do you see on the Clover Boot Menu?
  • If you do not see Boot macOS Mojave from ... then re-do the installation by selecting Boot macOS Install from Install MacOS (the USB disk).
  • When the MacOS installer starts, run Disk Utility, and then:
    • Select View --> Show All Devices.
    • Then select parent name of the internal NVMe SSD from the left side of Disk Utility.
    • Do not select any child names.
    • Click Erase.
    • You should see three options:
      • Name:
      • Format:
      • Scheme:
    • If you don't see 3 options, something is wrong.
    • After filling out the 3 options, click Erase to format the disk.
  • Continue with the rest of the installation.

Hello again.

Thanks for your advice @CaseySJ. Now my "new mac" is working propperlly, except for some little issues.

I will try your "Going the extra mile" advise, and check the results.

Thank you very much again.

My tests on X99A-II only tb header connected.

I try nvm43 & nvm23 elias mod firmware and SSDT modified for my pci configuration with the same results:

* Drivers not installed in any of the tests.

* Pin 3 & 5 jumper force power is working but thunderbolt options on my motherboard disappear and nothing works usb-c, thunderbolt ...

* No pin 3 & 5 jumper, GPIO force power enabled in thunderbolt motherboard options and the same thunderbolt options as the kpg guide.
You need device powered on before startup. Usb-c working, thunderbolt 2 is not working.

I'm missing something?

EDIT: The firmware update tool in win10 for GC-Titan Ridge ends fine, asks to restart the operation but does not modify firmware.

Did you do a shut down and unplug after the updater or just a restart?

Last edited:
Back